Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sick glider! Head buried in corner, oily fur, discolored nose/ paws
Health related
Feb 25 2018
04:59:22 AM
I came back from being away for a couple of days. I made sure he had plenty of food and water before I left that typically lasts him a couple of days. Before I left he was fine. But now he’s been looking lethargic, his fur is oily especially on his tail, and he looks slimmed. Each time I pick him up to hold him he walks towards a corner in his cage and buries his head down. His nose is dry and discolored, his hands are also discolored. I got him water with some cranberry juice, he seemed to have drank that but only briefly. Idk what to do. Each time he puts his head in the corner he just sits there. Please help!
Health related
Feb 25 2018
07:21:15 AM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
I'm not a vet but here's what I'd do:
Start by letting him lick yogurt off your finger. Make sure it has live and active cultures.
Keep him warm by having him against you in a bonding pouch.
Give him 50/50 water and Gatorade.
Get him to a vet ASAP.
My heart goes out to you and your baby.
Health related
Feb 25 2018
10:58:33 AM
Also, was someone watching your glider?
Could he have gotten something on him or on his fur? Like some kind of cleaning detergent? Or gotten into something somehow? Did you or someone else clean his cage recently? Spray something near the cage? If something got on his fur he will need to be cleaned with a warm water washcloth and then kept very warm but DO NOT use a hair dryer just gently towel dry and keep him close to you. If something got in his fur he likely ingested it when grooming.
Health related
Feb 25 2018
12:24:12 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I'd take my glider to the vet ASAP
Health related
Feb 25 2018
05:25:24 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
keep him hydrated, take him to the vet and request a tape test and bacterial C&S test.

oily fur can be a symtpom of a bacterial or yeast infection. If he is that lethargic he doesn't have much time so I wouldn't wait.
Health related
Feb 25 2018
07:02:37 PM
Matt.L Starting Member 5 Posts
I’ve tried getting him to drink and eat but he refuses, I think he’s too much in pain to... just a moment ago he woke up and tried to walk about in his cage. He had no control over his movements and was staggering everywhere before he got to a corner and was grabbing the cage wincing in pain. He’s very weak. There are no emergency animal hospitals nearby and I’m afraid he won’t make it through the night... His breathing has become more and more shallow. He’s also having uncontrollable movements and impulses to move around.. I think that might be his reaction to the pain he’s in.

Idk what to do other than buying a syringe and feed him yogurt and water through it. Can sugar gliders take crushed acetaminophen, like a 1/4 of the dosage through the syringe if a mixed it with water?
Health related
Feb 26 2018
08:12:20 PM
Matt.L Starting Member 5 Posts
I’ve tried getting him to drink and eat but he refuses, I think he’s too much in pain to... just a moment ago he woke up and tried to walk about in his cage. He had no control over his movements and was staggering everywhere before he got to a corner and was grabbing the cage wincing in pain. He’s very weak. There are no emergency animal hospitals nearby and I’m afraid he won’t make it through the night... His breathing has become more and more shallow. He’s also having uncontrollable movements and impulses to move around.. I think that might be his reaction to the pain he’s in.

Idk what to do other than buying a syringe and feed him yogurt and water through it. Can sugar gliders take crushed acetaminophen, like a 1/4 of the dosage through the syringe if a mixed it with water?
Health related
Feb 27 2018
04:34:15 AM
Time to bring him to the vet ASAP!
Health related
Feb 27 2018
09:45:33 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Please do not give your glider any medication without a vet visit and prescription.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders