Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Glider introduction
Glider introduction
Information
Mar 20 2018
12:48:05 AM
Trying to introduce a young female glider to a trio - an 8 year old female and two 6 month old males. First introduction is the eight year old female and a four month old female. No fighting but the 4 month old female is very scared and refuses to go near the older female after a whole day in the cage together. If the older female makes a move towards her, she jumps across the cage. Will the young one eventually get comfortable or should I separate them? Has anyone had an introduction like this? From all that I read, fighting is the issue in bad introductions.

Matt
Information
Mar 20 2018
01:54:45 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
You do not describe in much detail what you did. Based on the information
you gave, it does NOT appear you introduced them properly.
They should be introduced in a neutral/ scent free area. bedroom or we use the bathtub. The move to a SCENT FREE/CLEANED CAGE is NOT done till after a successful bathtub introduction. (but again your description is limited)
If the cage is not scent free, the young one is intruding into the older females territory, and could be afraid of territory aggression.

We let the gliders roam the tub, get out sniffing, touching, climbing, a few spats. We wait till they all climb into the ONE SCENT FREE pouch we provide. Once we have a calm and happy pouch with gliders inside, then we consider a move to the clean cage. BUT this is after weeks of sleeping pouch swapping, and cages 6 inches apart.

www.sugarglider.com/gliderpedia/index.asp?IntroducingNewGliders

Edited by - BYK_Chainsaw on Mar 20 2018 01:55:18 PM
Information
Mar 20 2018
03:08:04 PM
dymondjoe Starting Member 2 Posts
Yes, I pouch swapped and place cages next to each other 4 a couple weeks. I believe that the 2 young males scared her quite a bit hissing and pouncing towards her through the cage bars. They are both neutered but highly energetic and sort of aggressive. Their introduction to my lonely eight-year-old went perfect a few months back.

The eight year old female is pretty laid-back so I did a bathroom introduction with the young female. No fighting just avoidance. The only thing that did not happen is sharing a pouch before I put them together in a cage. In the last 24 hours, the young one seems to be adjusting a little bit. Has figured out that Rosie will not chase her and sometimes runs past her to test the waters. Still a little jumpy.She is getting sleep underneath one of my shirts in a cage and eating fine.
Information
Mar 20 2018
11:28:10 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
So maybe that little girl just needs more time to adjust to the big girl. As long as they aren't fighting your safe.
Glider introduction

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Glider introduction