Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Cage Ideas for Two Sugar Gliders
Question
Mar 21 2018
08:45:22 PM
I've been really struggle on what cage to get. I was planning on Brisbane cage on exoticnutrition but I don't know if that is a decent cage or not. I would really like some advice on what to get. Also, if anyone knows any breeders in Maryland please let me know. Thank you so much for reading this.

Edited by - Oceanicals on Mar 21 2018 08:46:00 PM
Question
Mar 21 2018
08:55:10 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
I loveeeee my brisbanes and they are great for 2 gliders. I have 5 in 1, 2 in another and 3 in another.

The only thing I don't like about them is the latches on the doors, you reallllllly have to pay attention and double check the doors are closed and latched properly.

You want half inch bar spacings on cages. There are a few good ones Double Critter Nation, Brisbane, Madagascar to name a few. There are pro's and cons with each cage it's really a matter of what fits in your space and what you like best.

https://www.facebook.com/kelly.davisonmuni is a breeder in Maryland and has a pair of siblings ready to go, she also takes in a lot of rehomed/rescue gliders as well.

Question
Mar 21 2018
10:45:49 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I love my Brisbane cage!

Also had the Madagascar, which was nice as well. I agree, there will be drawbacks and advantages with every cage, as there is no perfect kind.

I was only aware of Glider Invasion in Maryland, but Leela has inside track on most things sugar glider. I'd go for her advice any day.

Ps. The most gliders I had was a trio, and they did fine with the Brisbane as well as Madagascar.

Edited by - TJones09 on Mar 21 2018 10:46:55 PM
Question
Mar 21 2018
10:57:21 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
Our brisbane is nice, nice removable tray for cleaning. But doors are small so limit access to inside, I have to remove door to get running wheel out to clean.
also harder to get gliders out if not bonded.
madagascar and congo look big and nice but dont have them

I personnel favorite is the Midwest critter nation, we have 5 of them.
the large doors give complete access to inside for cleaning, retrieving gliders and pouch and reorganizing toys. For 3 years they have worked great.
the only drawback is we didn't want tray in bottom with gliders walking in pee and poo. So we rigged up the bottom tray outside the cage, wasn't very hard, but newer cages from amazon dont have bottom cross bar, so could be harder to do that on newer cage.
I would still buy critter nation first. but other ones are good also.
Question
Mar 22 2018
08:37:36 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
The Raptor http://www.mygliderwheelsandmore.com/ and Custom Cruiser wheels http://ccc.cccruiser.com/ don't fit through the doors on a brisbane, however the The Stealth does http://atticworx.com/

I have one of each in my brisbanes, it's no big to get them in and out really, I just take the top off and put them in through the top, or slide the bottom grate out and put it in through the bottom.

I am loving the Stealth mount tho it's the easiest of the 3 to put in and take out by myself.

As I said there are pro's and cons to each cage. For some of us those pros and cons are different, depending on our space and personal preferances.

I've had both the double critter nation ( DCN cage) and Brisbanes. For me....

I don't have ceiling height so the DCN didn't work great in my space. Initially I did like the bigger doors, it is easier to get toys in and out and clean etc...
and for my bonded gliders they'd be great.

However, with new gliders I found the doors to be a pain, you open that big ol door and someone is going to come flying out of it. It's easy access for you but it is also easy access for the gliders. For that reason I prefer the Brisbane door size. Yes they are smaller but with new gliders you simply hang the sleep pouch on the door, easy access to the gliders without stressing them out or you out and less flying out when you open the door to do other things.

The latches are better on the DCN I loveddddd those, there is no mistaking if the doors aren't closed and latched properly. But for me and my needs that was the only plus.

The other benefit of the DCN over the Brisbane is you can easily add another unit to them and make it a triple critter nation or add another double to the back side and double the entire cage space.

You can add onto the brisbane as well but it needs more modification, which aren't hard but is more time consuming.

The other big difference between the two are the bars. The brisbane bars are vertical, the DCN are horizontal. I prefer the vertical but thats a personal preference, gliders maneuver just fine with either of them.

Personally I feel the brisbane is a heavier, more durable cage than the DCN and holds up better longterm to deep cleanining. I've had mine for 5 yrs and 2 were used before I got them. I don't have a height issue with these cages I can fit 3 comfortably with a foot n a half space between them in my living room.

The congo and madagascar are made with the same wire the brisbanes are, also heavy and durable just different dimensions.

If you go for the DCN make sure it's not a ferret nation cage, they look idendtical but the ferret cage has 1 inch bar spacing.

The Midwest Critter nation or Double critter nation are what you want to look for they can be found online OR All living things multi level small animal cage at Petsmart, they are the same cage sold by 2 different companies.

Any of these cages are a good choice

Kelly is a personal friend of mine and not your average breeder, She breeds for the pure pleasure of it.( You can tell her Carla sent you to her)

Kelly has mentored many new owners, and is very pationate about gliders and their care. If she doesn't have a glider (or 20) that are what you want she also has connections to other breeders and rescuers in that area and will be happy to point you to them.

She is also a valuable connection for vets in the area. I think she uses two different vets depending on the medical needs. Her glider goal is to one day have a facility that not only sells/rehomes gliders, but also everything you'd need for them and ongoing support afterwards. She is very much about education and ongoing support which you won't find with many breeders.

She is one of the most giving people I've ever met, but she will talk your ear off so be prepared to spend some time with her whether its on the phone or in person

Edited by - Leela on Mar 22 2018 08:56:06 AM
Question
Mar 22 2018
03:52:27 PM
Oceanicals Starting Member 3 Posts
Thank you guys so much for the advice this has really made my cage searching easier! Thank so so much for the breeders! I been looking for breeders in Maryland for a bit and I haven't found many. I did try looking to adopt some sugar gliders but I haven't found any of those either so really thank you. Hopefully this is okay to ask a few more questions. Do Sugar gliders needed a heating pad for the winter? and if it gets too hot is it safe to a frozen water bottle in their cage? Is it okay to switch the diets for them as well once I get them from the breeder?
Question
Mar 22 2018
04:27:38 PM
no they don't need a heating pad, if it gets cold just ad some strips of fleece to their sleeping pouch.

I live in Fla, and have thought of freezing water for their water bottles but really haven't needed to even when the huricane hit last year. Just make sure they are full and water bottles are working properly. I prefer using water silos rather than traditional water bottles, no worrying if the ball is stuck in the tube.

Diets... I know Kelly has fed bml in the past, and is feeding Glider Gumbo now. Both are very good diets. I'm not sure why she switched but I'm sure if you ask her she'll tell you. To answer your question, yes you can switch diets as long as its a widely used diet that provides a balanced diet andddd the gliders eat it well.
The gliders may not take to the new diet right away sometimes it takes a few days for them to even try it.

What diet are you thinking of using?

Question
Mar 22 2018
06:02:57 PM
Oceanicals Starting Member 3 Posts
Oh ! I meant freezing another bottle of water and just laying it in the cage not their actual water. I do that with my bunnies when I think it is too hot and helps cool down the cage. I was thinking of using O-HWP, TPG, or BML. I haven't heard of Glider Gumbo before. I wouldn't mind learning about it! I heard BML is really good.
Question
Mar 22 2018
07:16:40 PM
oh there is no need for that as long as the air is moving /good air circulation if it's extremely hot n no ac a fan moving the air is usually enough

Glider Gumbo isn't advertized like the others are. Shirly Smith is the creator

Personally I'm not a fan of tpg for a few reasons but many people love it.

The Critter Love Hpw's I support and promote as well as Bml mostly to new owners. I do support Glider Gumbo but don't promote it like Hpw and Bml.

I support it because that is what I'm currently feeding. I was feeding bml until my gliders stopped eating it and I was throwing out more than they ate. I am friends with Shirly so I had her send me a sample.

It's super easy to make, it's a packet of powder that comes all measured and combined then you add 3 eggs, 2 cups water, honey and apple juice then blend well and freeze. Serve with fruit n veg.

One package of Gumbo lasts a week for me ( with 10 gliders ) They clean the gumbo up and there are usually a few bits of fruit n veg left on the plates so I know they are getting there fill and what they need. For me it's affordable at 7.50 a bag I buy 5-7 bags of gumbo at a time and put them in the freezer until I need to make them I re order when I still have a bag or two left in case she is running low on stock or shipping gets messed up or my local girls run out n need to borrow a bag lol. I used to prefer bml because I liked that the ingredients weren't all powdered...I've since changed my opinon about that lol

Bml is really good as well it's affordable and easy to make. But it is important to follow directions ( on any diet), and only feed the fruits n veg listed for that diet. Same with Hpw's Peggy has specific salads to be fed with the hpw diets they are listed on her website.

All 3 of these diet creators are super nice and are happy to answer any questions about their diets, they are all on facebook and respond pretty quickly usually.

Ultimately the gliders are going to be the deciding factor no matter what diet you decide on. If the gliders don't eat it, it does them no good.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders