Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Wondering if I should separate my gliders
Question
Jun 03 2018
04:57:29 PM
We've had our gliders since September 2017. We got them from a breeder so they were a few months out of the pouch when we got them. They are male and female siblings. The male is neutered. We've always had a bit of a problem with the male, he's not social and crabs almost every time we walk by the cage. We don't handle him very often and he doesn't come out of the pouch very often. The female is much more friendly and social. She will hop in our hands. Recently I've been noticing that they're not getting along as much. Almost every time I give them dried fruit now, which I always make sure I give each of them a piece, they seem to fight afterwards. They do sleep in the pouch together still. I'm wondering if separating them would help, but I don't want to just do it in case they get lonely on their own.
Question
Jun 03 2018
10:43:47 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I would try offering multiple feeding stations. If possible, keep at least one out of line of vision from at least one or two others. You can try using 2-3, and depending in the diet you serve, spread out all food.

Example: I feed CLC currently (typically always used CL/HPW type). A few months after having a trio, my boy got fussy about meals. I started off trying three feeding stations with v/f portion, and two with nectar portion. I was able to pare down to two v/f and one nectar in my case. I also started out hissing a feeding station under a corner hammock, or used a square hammock in the corner with one corner hanging down. As it turned out, I did t have severe food aggression, just a little and was able to simplify feeding stations. Test yours out, to see what works.

I do not recommend separation unless injury is occurring. Also make sure multiple sleep options are available, and check your cage environment to see if there is any changes you can make to prevent boredom.

Best of luck, and please keep us posted.
Question
Jun 03 2018
11:13:47 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
"they seem to fight afterwards"

I wonder what this looks like. while feeding treats to 4 to 6, I cant always hand them out fast enough, so... one will try to steal from another and they sometimes have a quick little spat. then I get both a treat and they are fine.

maybe one treat is leaving the male hungry and wanting more, so he can smell the food on the females mouth and wants more so he gets a little aggressive trying to steal what she doesn't have.
I usually give about 3 yogurt drops per glider, or about 5 dried mealworms or so. (they can eat alot of mealworms.)

I would not separate them unless they are really fighting.

I have gus in our 6 colony, that little bugger will chase the others about 10 feet, both of them crabbing and squeaking, then he stops. but he is doing this on and off through out the night. they dont fight, just a quick chase and he is the only one doing it.

so its normal to sometimes try to steal a treat and have a small spat, for that I would not separate, only if really fighting.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders