Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Introduction question
Introduction question
Question
Jun 17 2018
04:09:37 PM
I recently adopted 2 gliders (female/male) and was wondering if I should even try introductions to my 3 ladies after the 30day waiting period or just keep their colony as is.

My son says that my ladies will fight for the males attention and to leave as is.

I have been out of town and have not met my new gliders or seen how my ladies have been acting. I will also be relocating in a month but will be having them all in a room by themselves (currently in living room). I am not sure how to do the bonding process with the new gliders. Advice?
Question
Jun 17 2018
04:19:18 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Sometimes, more isn't always merrier. For now, especially since planning to relocate, it might be best to leaf as is, if you have space and time to accommodate and maintain two cages. Perhaps after a while when all are settled in new home, you can try some pre-introduction procedures, then overlap bonding pouches to see how they react. You don't have to have to make a decision unless you feel it's good chance of successful introductions. Male is neutered, correct?

Bonding with new gliders can be daytime pouch-time, then, if you did quarantine, alternate out of cage play in your usual area.

Question
Jun 17 2018
04:36:13 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
I agree ^^^ Introductions can be stressful enough without adding a big move to the mix.

As for bonding with the new girls, get to know them, spend time with them, bonding bag, tent time etc... like any new to you glider you get. ALL of them are unique so don't expect the girls to act or react just like the ladies did.

If the male is neutered or not could determine the introduction question as well. If they are a breeding pair, the ladies should be kept separate. If he is neutered then its really up to you, and if they get all get along. As Tjones said sometimes more isn't merrier.

Edited by - Leela on Jun 17 2018 04:37:09 PM
Question
Jun 18 2018
12:08:48 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
Our 6 colony is 3 neutered males and 3 girls.
ONE and ONLY ONE male Gus has a problem, from time to time he gives a short chase of the other gliders (male/female). the make noise, he chases then 5 feet later its over, link will crab back at him something loud.
this group tends to sleep all six together happily most days.

Our 5 colony started as 4. One male neutered and 3 females, all was great. we added a lone neutered male and all is still great. they do have a few normal pouch spats that last for a second or two.
this group does sleep in separate pouches alot but get along great.

Edited by - BYK_Chainsaw on Jun 18 2018 12:10:40 AM
Question
Jun 18 2018
07:54:33 AM
ptamom Glider Visit ptamom's Photo Album 145 Posts
Thx for the responses.

I was told the male was neutered last month which brings up another question. At what age, can a female get pregnant? I believe she is 7 mos and he is 6 mos but I will have to confirm that info.
Question
Jun 18 2018
08:59:33 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Females can get pregnant young, as early as 3-4 months. That is why female offspring are separated from their parents and male siblings by then to prevent inbreeding and breeding a female that is to young. . Females are usually at least a year old before breeding them on purpose to give their bodies time to fully develop, they CAN produce babies before then, but we like them to be at their ideal adult body and condition before purposely breeding them.

Males typically reach sexual maturity about the same time 3-4 mpnths though some will mature earlier. Again they boy offspring are either separated from parents prior to hitting sexual maturity or neutered, they can be neutered starting at 12 weeks oop but some vets will refuse to do them until they either weigh more or are a little older, this is the vets choice in some cases.

So, if they are 7 months and 6 months and he just got neutered last month,, yes they could have bred and yes she could come to you with joeys in pouch OR have joeys any time in the next 11 months.

Females can hold a pregnancy in stasis for up to 12 months and give birth anytime during those 12 months when she's ready or conditions are ideal for her.

Edited by - Leela on Jun 18 2018 09:06:24 AM
Question
Jun 18 2018
09:12:18 AM
ptamom Glider Visit ptamom's Photo Album 145 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Leela

Females can get pregnant young, as early as 3-4 months. That is why female offspring are separated from their parents and male siblings by then to prevent inbreeding and breeding a female that is to young. . Females are usually at least a year old before breeding them on purpose to give their bodies time to fully develop, they CAN produce babies before then, but we like them to be at their ideal adult body and condition before purposely breeding them.

Males typically reach sexual maturity about the same time 3-4 mpnths though some will mature earlier. Again they boy offspring are either separated from parents prior to hitting sexual maturity or neutered, they can be neutered starting at 12 weeks oop but some vets will refuse to do them until they either weigh more or are a little older, this is the vets choice in some cases.

So, if they are 7 months and 6 months and he just got neutered last month,, yes they could have bred and yes she could come to you with joeys in pouch OR have joeys any time in the next 11 months.

Females can hold a pregnancy in stasis for up to 12 months and give birth anytime during those 12 months when she's ready or conditions are ideal for her.

That is what I was afraid of. I really do not want joey’s or to breed. 11 mos WOW.. How will I know if she is pregnant? I think I know which one is female and if I am correct, she is larger than the male. What do I need to look for?

Thx

Question
Jun 18 2018
09:34:18 AM
I wouldn't worry to much, first time parents have a very high risk of pulling the first joeys, a lot of times the human may not have any idea they even produced.

This can happen for many reasons, poor diet, living conditions, not ready to be parents, something not right with the joey, stress etc.

If she dropped or drops joey in pouch..

Mom licks a trail from her cloaca to her pouch. The joey travels up the wet trail to her pouch climbs in and latches on to a nipple.

The pouch will feel like there is a round hard spot in the pouch the size of a head of sewing pin.

As it grows it looks like a lima bean size lump and continues to grow until its parts( tails or legs ) start sticking out of the pouch. Usually Unless you witness the birth, you won't notice until it's the size of a lima bean or peanuts in the shell if there is two.

But again, I wouldn't worry to much, he could have been a late bloomer and they may not have bred. There is just a risk that they have and that they will produce.

Introduction question

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Introduction question