Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Joey questions
Joey questions
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jun 22 2018
01:17:42 AM
Hello, as a new Joey "grandma" I have a few questions.

1. What age (roughly) should the Joey start wandering around more/being more "independent" I guess?

2. What age do they begin eating with mom and dad? And are there any foods that aren't necessarily good for Joeys? (I'm asking about stuff that's okay for parents but maybe not for baby)

3. I am most likely keeping baby Jitter Bug and since I'm not entirely sure of my gliders ages, idk how old dad is, I'm not sure what she is appropriate to neuter the baby.

Also here is a cute picture of my little one bc I love him.

Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jun 22 2018
07:59:14 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
awwwwwwwwww him is beautiful! congrats

1. about 9-12 weeks after he came out of pouch

2. mom will start weening as early as 4 weeks to 5 or 6 weeks from when he came fully out of pouch. Mom and dad will bring him with them to eat, he will likely start eating the staple first and not eat much fruit or veg till he gets a lil bigger. He should be eating normal adult food by about 7-10 weeks out of pouch (oop) and no longer nursing, about then his head should be to big to fit in moms pouch.

I don't know what diet your feeding but any foods mom and dad can eat, is fine for the joey. Treat wise, avoid nuts and seeds for joey especially I wouldn't feed them to adults either.

3. Boys can be neutered at 12 weeks oop. If he is staying in the cage with mom and dad he should be neutered no later than 4 months old, If not neutered by then separate him until neutered.

Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jun 22 2018
08:24:10 AM
watringmyplants Joey Visit watringmyplants's Photo Album watringmyplants's Journal 30 Posts
Thank you!
I feed my babies tpg, I don't give ANY seeds or nuts just fruits, veggies, sometimes honey or yogurt. Just the stuff I know I alright, I've read a ton of stuff bad about seeds and nuts.
Have you ever experienced an inside out pouch? I think it's just from the baby and cleaning but I just wanted to make sure. Her pouch is just kinda sticking out?
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jun 22 2018
08:44:02 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
yw:) honey and yogurt is fine

mom will clean and sometimes 'air out' her pouch like that, it's normal. I only saw my female do it once, it's weird
Joey questions

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Joey questions