Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Cracked Fur?
Cracked Fur?
Question
Aug 01 2018
09:05:18 PM
I have two gliders. I currently feed Critter Love Complete and their fur has gotten softer but, their fur is cracked. Does this mean anything? I went to the vet a few months ago and my female glider had low Blood sugar with a purple nose. Her nose is now a normal pinkish color. Has her blood sugar gone normal? I'll insert pictures of their fur.

Question
Aug 01 2018
10:16:42 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
cracked fur is usually a humidity level issue, and only a cosmetic thing not a health issue to really be worried about. I think optimal humidity level is around 30 to 40 % but I'd have to look it up to confirm.

Purple nose....... some say is a stress indicator, most gliders have a purple nose when they are first woken up, a few minutes later it turns to the normal pink, i always thought it has to do with their blood flow ( circulation speeding up ) revving up to be awake and active and or when under stress as the heart beats faster pumping blood faster.

As far as I know it has nothing to do with the blood sugar.

Edited by - Leela on Aug 01 2018 10:17:47 PM
Question
Aug 02 2018
01:32:20 PM
MollyAndOlivia Glider Visit MollyAndOlivia's Photo Album 59 Posts
Okay, thanks. I thought it had something to do with blood sugar because when I got her, her nose was already purple and it stayed purple for a few months. Do humidifiers work for cracked fur?
Cracked Fur?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Cracked Fur?