Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Help with aggressive tent time?
Information
Sep 12 2018
10:55:30 PM
First off, I understand that gliders tend to bite. I have two rescue gliders that I got to be buddies with my single glider. Well intros have not been going well at all and I took them in tent time today(just the twins) to see how they would be. I was stock full of toys and treats. They decided to spend the time biting me. The pssst and no do nothing with them. They but through my sweatshirt. I don't use fragrance in anything since it irritates me. How can I both stop biting and just make them more comfortable? It's only been a month which I know is not a lot but I am becoming scared of these two which is not okay. I want to do tent time but I am literally scared. They broke skin through my sweatshirt. Not blood drawn but broke skin. I am feeling so discouraged. Has anyone else experienced aggressive gliders in tent time and how do you help them and yourself relax? Please be nice. I know this is the glider life, but I don't want to be afraid of them. I need them to trust me so I can do intros again. I feel so lost.
Information
Sep 13 2018
12:56:25 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
our gliders will jump and climb on me, even groom the back of my head and neck all nice and stuff. but 2 of them, after about 1 hour or more of "tent" time will start to groom me harder. they will find spots on my arm and start to groom so hard they will open a wound and it will bleed. they will start to groom the back of my head and then start to hard groom. feels like they are pulling out my hair, hurts alot. so they are NOT biting me, might not be the same problem you are having, they are more like chewing on me. So far I can only move them away, gus comes back often and I have to keep moving him away. Gizmo isn't as bad and after I move him away he stays away longer.

so I dont really have a good answer, my best advice is to step back a little.
maybe stop tent time for a few weeks. sit near cage talk to them, feed them a few treats. open the door feed the treats, pet them if possible. don't let them bite you for awhile.

You dont have to be bonded to a glider to introduce them. we put connor in with a colony of 4. connor was just getting friendly with me, and out of the 4 one was a bit mean, and cupcake will bite also. the other 2 won't bite but still somewhat scared of us as we hadn't had them to long. after pouch swapping for awhile my wife did bathroom tub intros and it went great.
Information
Sep 13 2018
08:43:13 AM
Emmikate Joey Visit Emmikate's Photo Album 33 Posts
This was their first one. I've had them a month and only got brave enough to do it last night. My other one nipped a bit but for them it was bite fest. My other one grooms this was not that.
Information
Sep 13 2018
09:17:20 AM
And my first intro was a hot mess. She now hisses at my single glider and crabs at her every night.
#128532;
Information
Sep 13 2018
10:39:25 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Emmikate

This was their first one. I've had them a month and only got brave enough to do it last night. My other one nipped a bit but for them it was bite fest. My other one grooms this was not that.

Another thought, did you handle your single glider FIRST before you went
into tent time. Gus never bites, he grooms and over grooms, I don't think he even tries to nip me during nail cutting time. But when we first got him, I handled the OTHER gliders first, then went to his cage, he jumped out nipped all over my arm about 7 times in 2 seconds, scared me to death, he was like freaking out. then I figured out he was attacking the strange scent of my other gliders.
Information
Sep 13 2018
10:46:57 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Emmikate

And my first intro was a hot mess. She now hisses at my single glider and crabs at her every night.
#128532;

I would put two sleeping pouches in each cage, move the cages apart some more like 8 feet. Every two or three nights take that pouch they are sleeping in and move it to the other cage. so you will have a freshly scented pouch every few nights. check to see where they are sleeping. once they are choosing to sleep in the pouch scented with the other glider move the cages back 1 foot apart. After they have been sleeping in the fresh scent pouch the majority of the time and after about (with your gliders) I would give it 3 to 4 weeks. then try introduction in bathtub again.
Information
Sep 13 2018
11:00:59 AM
I have been doing pouch swap and they have no problem with it. It's so weird until the intro everyone was nice and sweet. All of this started after.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders