Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
NEW CAGE ADVICE PLEASE HELP :)
Question
Oct 30 2018
07:00:44 PM
Hi all, typed this up twice now, keeps getting an error message so hopfully this time works!

I'm 2 weeks away from getting my first sugar gliders:)

I have been all around town buying and ordering things for my cage.

2 questions

1) is 2 feet in width good enough? I was thinking about going 2.5-3 ft length/width. I till be 5 feet tall :)

2) I need some cheaper wire?

I know i'm going to burn through this very quickly... Are there any more cost effective options that I could order?
Question
Nov 01 2018
04:45:13 PM
Pearson Joey 35 Posts
I don't think mess is good for gliders. They have long sharp nails that get caught in the mess
Question
Nov 01 2018
10:57:37 PM
Paani Glider Visit Paani's Photo Album Paani's Journal 91 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by GlideGlideBaby

Hi all, typed this up twice now, keeps getting an error message so hopfully this time works!

I'm 2 weeks away from getting my first sugar gliders:)

I have been all around town buying and ordering things for my cage.

2 questions

1) is 2 feet in width good enough? I was thinking about going 2.5-3 ft length/width. I till be 5 feet tall :)

2) I need some cheaper wire?

I know i'm going to burn through this very quickly... Are there any more cost effective options that I could order?

What you linked to is not wire, it's polypropylene mesh. I have PVC-coated wire and mine have been quite happy but it IS more expensive and takes more work to put together. Since you're worried about the cost of the polypro mesh, you might think about going to Tractor Supply or Big R and seeing if you can get it in larger size rolls to cut the unit cost.

Your gliders will be happier if the cage is bigger but many gliders are quite happy in cages that have a 2x2 ft footprint, especially if it's as tall as you describe. My own cage is 6'x4'x2'.

Enjoy your gliders!
Question
Nov 02 2018
09:17:36 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Cage sizes....usually the bigger the better, the one major bonus of making your own is customizing the size and shape to fit your living space.

Personally I would go wider than 2 feet, when you add a glider safe wheel it will take up a lot of space in the cage. Wheels are largeeeeeee, and need clearance all the way around it to prevent injuries.

I would go at least 3 feet wide, a brisbane cage is 2.75 feet wide and the wheel takes up half of the cage. Brisbanes are commonly used glider cages that can house up to 4 gliders, the dimensions are 63" tall (36 off stand) x 33" wide x 22" deep

The plastic mesh is just fine and glider safe. The con is it's a pain in the a$$ to clean.

The price of the hardware mesh that you posted is the average price unfortunately it is the only cheap material approved for build your own pvc cages .

You can buy pvc coated wire as mentioned it is more expensive but on the other hand it will last way longer too.

That's the other draw back to making your own, in the end it costs just as much or maybe more than a regular pre made cage.

Edited by - Leela on Nov 02 2018 09:20:45 AM

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders