Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New adoptee
New adoptee
Rescue
Nov 17 2018
11:01:07 AM
Judah has been off his feed since Anson died. Although he still gets up and uses the wheel, he is reluctant to leave his pouch even for yogies treats. There was another “orphaned” glider available for adoption upstate from me so I contacted the owners. They rightfully wanted some pictures/video of my cage and setup so they knew their little Nala would be going into a real home so I sent them some then made arrangements to go pick her up on Monday since I had the day off.

I set up Nala’s cage downstairs in the family room for quarantine purposes but will move her upstairs to the living room next to the main cage after quarantine (just before Christmas). Today, we went to the vet to start a record and get a wellness check. Everything is A-OK and they said she’s the friendliest glider they’ve ever seen — not a peep from her other than wanting to explore the examination room and having the greatest time gliding from person to person.

I will probably try to get some additional gliders her age to add to the newly growing colony so she’s not in the same position Judah is (there’s a 6 year age difference between them) in a few years or so but am going to take it slow and easy on that. Task 1 is to first them these two used to each other and integrated over the coming months.

I knew Nala was well-behaved but she was just amazing at the vet’s. All props to her former skin parents (@Jayburg).
Rescue
Jan 04 2019
06:05:55 AM
Ahunt Starting Member 2 Posts
Hello! I. Have 5 gliders that I need to rehome ( mom dad and babies ) if you could help#128532;
Rescue
Jan 21 2019
06:14:26 PM
Paani Glider Visit Paani's Photo Album Paani's Journal 91 Posts
Wow, that was easy. Got home at the end of the day of errands and realized I still hadn't done intros this weekend so I took them both into a bathroom in their respective pouches. I gently set them both down in the dry tub (making sure the door was closed and the toilet lid was down!) with the pouches facing each other.

Judah worried me at first as his first reaction was to crab and retreat back into his pouch while Nala was looking on curiously. After several minutes of them just hiding from each other, I gently shook Judah from his pouch and removed it. He cautiously went over to Nala's pouch and when she didn't react, he crawled in, groomed her for a bit, then they cuddled up in the pouch together (swirling a little to find a good "together" position.

I put both pouches back in the main flight cage and removed one of Judah's wheels (left his favorite). I put Nala's favorite wheel and her foraging toy box in the main cage then buttoned it up.

Meanwhile, 2 more adoptees from TPG are off in the dining room going through quarantine. They just got here 2 Fridays ago so still have some time before I moved them into the cage next to the main flight cage. I don't know how that intro is going to go but at least I've got it to 2 pairs now.
Rescue
Nov 25 2019
12:10:58 PM
Paani Glider Visit Paani's Photo Album Paani's Journal 91 Posts
Further update. I was worried about Nala being left alone sometime since she's only 3 and Judah is 10 so I adopted another pair of platinums from The Pet Glider back in January. I renamed them Ronald and Reuel since Eladio and Petal just weren't cutting it for me.

Ronald and Reuel went through usual quarantine procedures then I shifted them to Nala's old Brisbane cage next to Judah and Nala's flight cage. They had a sight block at first so they could smell and hear each other but not have visuals (or reach out to each other).

Gradually, I removed the sight block but just never had time for a proper introduction to integrate the cages.

Yesterday, I finally had time to get them introduced so I took a clean never-used colony pouch (with the Grinch on it) to the bathtub around 10 AM (when I knew they 'd all be kinda sleepy anyway) then grabbed the sleeping pouches from both cages and slowly coaxed them out of the pouches. Judah was somewhat frantic to get away from the new gliders but finally settled down and went into the new pouch with Nala. The other two also cautiously entered the pouch -- a little bit of crabbing from Judah now and then but really nothing major and certainly no balls of fur (thank God!).

Soon enough all were sleeping in the new pouch. I let them sleep in it in the tub for a couple hours then transferred the Grinch pouch to the big flight cage with another fresh big colony pouch. I'm keeping the Grinch pouch fresh for Christmas (:D). When they woke up, Ronald and Reuel were all over the cage exploring their new expanded home and Nala's toys. Judah kept somewhat separate on a branch but there was minimal crabbing and he seemed to have no problems going back into the pouch to sleep with everyone this morning.

Long delayed but so happy to have them all in one big happy family together.
Rescue
Nov 25 2019
01:46:34 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
great news, most of our intros always worked out.
we have a colony of 6 and a strong alpha leader gus, he tends to boss the
others around sometimes. We tried to add 2 more to the 6 but gus would have
none of it.

having 4 gliders should be fun, if one or two want to say in pouch and
nap at night you still have 2 to hang out with.

last night I had only 1 stay with me, I turned off the 40 watt bulb on a
dimmer and make the room dark with only a night light and tv screen light and then
I had 4 with me.
New adoptee

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New adoptee