Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Meal worms
Meal worms
Food, Diet
Feb 08 2019
06:40:41 PM
Can I feed my babies meal worms from a bait shop, or do I have to get them from a pet store?
Food, Diet
Feb 08 2019
10:35:18 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I get timberline from a pet store. So I would think if they have that brand
it would be fine. But I really don't know, I'm not even sure if there is a
difference of bait vs pet mealworms.

Since I don't know what kind you will be buying, I would find out who the
company is that grew them, call that company or see if they have a website that
would give you that information.

I know there is some write ups about the different types of meal worms, some
have grown bigger with chemical additives or something and so it has been suggested to stay away from them.
Food, Diet
Feb 09 2019
01:52:17 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
http://www.rainbowmealworms.net/shop-giants/ I prefer getting them online from rainbow ^^

The reasons I prefer rainbow are, I know they are raised in safe bedding and they are affordable and intended to be fed to pets.

The reason I wouldn't use bait shop mealies....... you don't know what kind of bedding they have been raised in or what they have been fed.

Corn based bedding has the risk of producing aflatoxins. For bait aflatoxins aren't really a concern, for gliders it is a huge concern and can be deadly.

Same goes for crickets.

If your going to feed live treats to a pet, it should be intended to use it for a pet by the source. Bait is intended to be used as bait....

Personally I Don't like pet shop mealies either because they never know where they come from or how they were raised before coming to their store and they are more expensive and don't go as far as rainbow mealies do for me.

I get anywhere from 200-500 at a time and put them in the fridge, at my highest amount of gliders (12) This would last me a month or two, I typically only feed mealies for nail trimmings.
Meal worms

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Meal worms