Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New MOMMAAAA - HELP
New MOMMAAAA - HELP
Question
Oct 29 2019
10:43:56 AM
So I’m in a crazy, annoyingly ANNOYING situation. I have been wanting sugar gliders since I was 8 years old, but my parents never let me... now I’m 22. I’ve made a previous post about my gliders, Pandora and Amaleh, and they are seriously the best. There’s been no crabbing, no biting or anything! They’ll let you pet them, but aren’t bonded to me yet so they really don’t want to be held or stick around me for long. HERES THE PROBLEM. I don’t know how to bond! I have a pouch now, and they’re actually on my chest right now sleeping... but I’m afraid to hold them! I don’t know why?? Maybe it’s because I really don’t want to hurt them and afraid that they’ll bite and scratch me all over (I know it’s inevitable). I’ve had them now for five days and they love when I put them in the bonding pouch, they just sleep. I want to just take them out of the cage and hold them but I’m also afraid that they’ll jump off and go somewhere like under the couch to where I can’t get them. Should I try bathroom/bathtub time? I feel like that’ll relax me more and I’ll get to where I’m ok with them crawling all over me. I kinda want them to go on and just nip/bite me so I’m not afraid of it anymore haha! I know this is a weird/special situation but any advice at all is greatly appreciated :)
Question
Oct 30 2019
01:58:16 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
first off. 5 days. slow down and relax.
2. biting is many different bites. - hard hurting blood bite by scared glider.
- strong ouchy bite with no skin break like a strong pinch from less scared glider, that is telling you to leave them alone. - a quick small nip that doesn't hurt much at all. - pick up friendly glider that doesnt want to be
picked up maybe get a real small nip that doesn't hurt at all.
- grooming bite will start small then usually progress to hard hair pulling or skin digging.
ill say more later......
Question
Oct 31 2019
01:46:46 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
so they really don’t want to be held or stick around me for long.
daytime gliders are sleeping and may stick around more, night time gliders
are awake and ready to run and explore. mine stick around for treats, then most leave, I sit crosslegged and some will sleep in there covered with some fleece.

I don’t know how to bond! I have a pouch now, and they’re actually on my chest right now sleeping...
so you are doing the bonding process, some gliders bond fast, most take more time, some dont bond all the way. I have one female that will come for
treat time then leaves and stays away from me. bonding pouch is just something to try to eat her way out of.

but I’m afraid to hold them!
gliders arent much for being picked up, I can pick up 3 or 6, or being held.
Mine will sit on me, shoulder, back, arms etc, but none really sit in my hands.
I can pet them fine, but they like to move around specially at night.

but I’m also afraid that they’ll jump off and go somewhere like under the couch to where I can’t get them
bonding pouch them to a glider SAFE room or area, then let them out, after awhile they will probably want back to bonding pouch.
Question
Oct 31 2019
04:20:02 PM
CourtsCuddles Starting Member 6 Posts
Thanks so much!! This is perfect. Answered to literally all of my concerns. learning so much here

quote:
Originally posted by BYK_Chainsaw

so they really don’t want to be held or stick around me for long.
daytime gliders are sleeping and may stick around more, night time gliders
are awake and ready to run and explore. mine stick around for treats, then most leave, I sit crosslegged and some will sleep in there covered with some fleece.

I don’t know how to bond! I have a pouch now, and they’re actually on my chest right now sleeping...
so you are doing the bonding process, some gliders bond fast, most take more time, some dont bond all the way. I have one female that will come for
treat time then leaves and stays away from me. bonding pouch is just something to try to eat her way out of.

but I’m afraid to hold them!
gliders arent much for being picked up, I can pick up 3 or 6, or being held.
Mine will sit on me, shoulder, back, arms etc, but none really sit in my hands.
I can pet them fine, but they like to move around specially at night.

but I’m also afraid that they’ll jump off and go somewhere like under the couch to where I can’t get them
bonding pouch them to a glider SAFE room or area, then let them out, after awhile they will probably want back to bonding pouch.

New MOMMAAAA - HELP

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New MOMMAAAA - HELP