GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Safe walk-in cage materials?
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 30 2019
11:59:09 AM
Hello everyone !

I'm a new member of this site and new to being a sugie mamma. I got my babies 10 days ago and we are all settling into our new routine. The bonding is going better and faster than I expected. One of my babies, Mishka, started grooming me and purring into my ears from day 3 . My other one, Rascal, is more interested in doing acrobatic moves than in bonding , but he's definitely friendly to me and recognizes me. He also likes to jump and crawl all over me. So, great progress and I'm very much in love with them both . I wanted to thank all of you for providing such great support and info for sugie owners (and wannabe owners) everywhere. I spent hundreds of hours researching sugies before taking the plunge and getting my own, and I have to say that most of my useful info came from this site. So, thanks ! Much appreciated.

I'm hoping that you can offer some advice and help me brainstorm ideas for building a safe walk-in sugie cage. I bought my babies a large new cage and they like it. I also spend about 4-5 hours daily playing with them in their teepee (I made one for them out of wooden dowels and fleece). They're about 5.5 months old now and I'm thinking that as they grow I'd like to have a walk-in cage for them to have fun gliding, climbing, exploring, etc. It would be nice to not have to transfer them to their teepee for play time with me, I could just walk in (would also make it easy to hide treats around the cage ).

Money is tight right now (I overspent on all of their start-up gear lol). So, I'm hoping to repurpose my patio gazebo to make a massive walk-in cage for them. I know that weather proofed steel isn't safe for gliders, but I was wondering if there is any way to make it safe? Off the top of my head, I was thinking maybe vinyl contact paper, or a few layers of nontoxic paint, or another nontoxic material that I can adhere all the way around each post to make it safe...any ideas? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Of course, I'd need something that's both nontoxic and easy to clean.

The gazebo would provide the structural support and I'd use either a netting material or shelving to enclose it. Any thoughts on the best products for this?

Any and all advice is appreciated! I'm very new to this and looking to learn from your wisdom. Thanks

Edited by - New Sugie Mamma on Oct 30 2019 12:03:42 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 31 2019
04:35:50 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
do you have an entire room available?

I used
PVC pipe / tie wraps / door henges / plastic chicken wire(netting) tied
together with fleece. / baby safe outlet covers / and power wires run threw PVC so they cant chew it. / a plastic substance long 1 inch by 1/2 inch for covering windows and closet. / and velcro
the center wall was cut shorter and only NOW covers door entrance so
gliders have the whole room.

Edited by - BYK_Chainsaw on Oct 31 2019 04:38:22 AM
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 31 2019
07:06:03 AM
New Sugie Mamma Starting Member 3 Posts
Whoa!!!

BYK_Chainsaw, that looks amazing! Your babies must LOVE it! Thanks for sharing. It must have taken you forever to build, but I'm sure it was well worth it! It sounds very safe for them too

Unfortunately I live in a smaller place and I don't have a spare bedroom. I really don't mind if it takes up half of my living room though

I've seen tutorials with PVC piping online, and I'm definitely considering it as an option. If I can somehow repurpose my gazebo steel for structure I'd rather try that first before purchasing all new materials. Any ideas on how to make it safe? Thanks!

Default, miscellaneous
Oct 31 2019
07:08:25 AM
New Sugie Mamma Starting Member 3 Posts
Also, I really like the netting material you used. Do you recall where you got it or what the product name is?

There are so many netting products available. I'd like to choose the best one, but I honestly don't know what that would be. Thanks!
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 31 2019
08:58:50 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by New Sugie Mamma

Also, I really like the netting material you used. Do you recall where you got it or what the product name is?

There are so many netting products available. I'd like to choose the best one, but I honestly don't know what that would be. Thanks!

I went to hardware store, menards, and they have both metal and plastic "poultry
netting". the plastic options was large and cheaper 3/4 inch holes (actual size of hole is 5/8 inch), and smaller more expensive 1/2 holes (actual size smaller then 1/2 inch) although the best probably is smaller holes, I got the 3/4 cheaper one as I was making a large netting cage at the time and it looked like small enough holes,
and after several years not one glider has ever but their head in the holes, to small. the netting is all plastic not metal with plastic coating. and they don't
chew the plastic.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders