Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
BML / HPW
BML / HPW
Question
Nov 08 2019
05:49:00 AM
Just got three of these little guys (named after Aerrow, Piper, and Starling from StormHawks - pilots) from their previous owner thru a breeder who gave me a container of homemade frozen BML to feed them until my exotic nutrition HPW came in. I spooned out some of the BML, served 'warm', but they ignore it - so, just left it frozen next time - still turn noses up. Is this stuff supposed to be served frozen like ice-cream, or are we to make it more like a warm porridge? When I pick up my HPW today, do I serve it thawed or frozen?

They've been going nuts for some scrambled cheese eggs using farmers cheese (no lactose) - cold or warm doesn't seem to matter, absolutely love honey (fed sparingly), and simply just munch out on dead millworms (I think previous owner fed them too much of them - got a bit of brown in their coats and too fat). Also started giving them 'exotic nutrition complete' pellets which they seem to mostly ignore or scatter about... Don't like (or just don't eat) fresh apple, dried cranberries and other dried fruit... but on the other hand love cold Smucker's Natural strawberry fruit spread (not jam, jelly, or preservatives - no GMO's, no corn syrup - more of a fruit topping thing).

Just hope for more success with the HPW...

Also, the neutered dad and the daughter are very tame, but Piper the mom growls a lot, loves to bite (fortunately my hands are numb from MS), and tries to run away constantly - been concentrating on her using bonding bag to help remove her wildness.. was tame at one time, but sometimes females after giving birth go a bit feral... however she seems to be gradually accepting me - and puzzled I don't flinch when bitten, heh, heh...

I'm just thankful to be graced with such a blessing of these little fliers.

Question
Nov 08 2019
02:52:56 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I scoop out HPW like ice cream. it will thaw pretty quickly. usually
I try to let the fruits and veggies thaw a bit and by that time the HPW is
thawed to a liquid and is just fine.

I would recommend HPW made by wombaroo or critterlove brand. many have
posted they are High quality. exotic nutrition has had people post about
it having quality issues.
Question
Nov 08 2019
04:17:41 PM
BatGirl Glider Visit BatGirl's Photo Album BatGirl's Journal USA 50 Posts
Just got the HPW, and mixed it 2:1... is it supposed to be like some kind of sauce? For some reason I thought I read it was supposed to be a bit thicker like pudding... maybe when it's cold?

I plan to just mix a small amount daily, not do a big batch and freeze it. I'm using 2oz powder to 4oz water, then the 'complete' pellets, for three Sugar Gliders. Occasional treat of honey or another small amount of scrambled cheese egg (farmers cheese w/o lactose - I make it for myself and just give them a small portion). Then there's the dried millworms for a quick snack, just a couple apiece.
Question
Nov 08 2019
10:57:24 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BatGirl

...I'm using 2oz powder to 4oz water...

I'm using 2tbsp powder to 4tbsp water (sorry - typo)
Question
Nov 08 2019
11:50:52 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BYK_Chainsaw

...exotic nutrition has had people post about it having quality issues...

Menadione (K3) seems to be the problem with exotic nutrition's 'HPW Complete', but I can't find any such item on their website - there's the 'Complete' a pellet thing which is not touted to be HPW, then there's the 'Instant HPW' which has no menadione in it - which is what I got. Also got the pellet 'Complete' (meant to 'complete' the requirement to supplement HPW with vegetables, not as a 'complete diet' by itself). There is also an 'HPW Original' from exotic nutrition, but haven't checked it out.

Edited by - BatGirl on Nov 08 2019 11:52:33 PM
Question
Nov 13 2019
07:43:26 PM
Had it ALL wrong... need 1 1/2 tbsp of HPW "mix" (powder+water ~ 'sauce'), NOT 3+ tbsp of mix (ie not 1 1/2 tbsp HPW powder + 3 tbsp water...) ~ no wonder there was so much left over. Seems they are eating it, but it was just too much of the 'sauce' stuff.

Exotic Nutrition recommended that I mix the two - so, mixing 1 tbsp HPW "mix" (the sauce) with 4 tbsp of the 'Complete' pellet-mix (fruit/veg/vit). This for (3) Sugar Gliders. Will increase if they begin eating it all at night (1.5 tbsp HPW + 6 tbsp Complete)

Also putting out either small amount of the cheese-eggs (farmers cheese w/o lactose), or some of the Smucker's fruit topping mixed 1:1 with farmers cheese ~ kinda a 'yogurt' tasting thing.

Both dishes are remove in morning - put out at night ;-)

For daytime there's small amount of just the pellet-mix with maybe some dried millworms sprinkled in...
Food, Diet
Jan 27 2020
07:50:24 PM
OK - settling in with the diet thing...

I'm mixing the exotic nutrition's HPW instant with water at 1:1.5, then adding a little apple sauce and cranberry sauce w/berries...

Next is the exotic nutrition's Complete pellets I'm liberally adding some honey and a short sprinkle of filtered water - then microwave for a few seconds to make the honey not so thick, then stirring it up good, then a few more seconds in the microwave to further soften the pellets...

Each is put into a shallow bowl and then that in a bird bath container so their 'splatter' that they do when eating doesn't get all over the running wheel, the fleeces, the cage bars, etc.

I use a third bird bath container to put treats in... healthy stuff.

No more dried millworms - got rid of that, got rid of the fake yogurt covered raisins, and got rid of the corn syrup and artificial coloring laced dried fruit. All that junk was left over from their previous owner - lots of crap stuff that's really bad for any creature!

NOW the only insects I'm treating them with is the cooked grasshoppers and cooked wax worms from exotic nutrition - and only every other morning. Other treats used daily and put out very late in the night / early morning are the farmer cheese (lactose free) and eggs; strawberry fruit topping (no corn syrup) mixed with farmer cheese (like a yogurt, but better); romaine lettuce and blueberries; sometimes just real maple syrup; sometimes kiwi fruit mixed with blueberries, apple sauce, and grapefruit juice (kinda a fruit salad)...

I think I'm spoiling them

Edited by - BatGirl on Jan 27 2020 07:53:41 PM
Food, Diet
Feb 12 2020
04:07:20 PM
Had to stop adding the apple sauce to the HPW - seems they hate apples in any form (fresh sliced, dried chunks, sauce)... noticed they stopped eating as much of the instant HPW mix, so tried experiment - put out just apple sauce & wouldn't touch - next night put out just the instant HPW only in one bowl with cranberry sauce (with whole berries) only in another bowl & they licked the cranberry sauce clean but wouldn't touch the instant HPW - seems when Exotic Nutrition discontinued their instant HPW honey berry () and instead now make instant HPW honey & fruit, they substituted berries with freakin' apples!

So after using up my instant HPW honey berry, I'm now stuck with the instant HPW honey & fruit - but have to add a lot of cranberry sauce in it to get them to eat it... but THAT mix they love (the cranberry sauce seems to hide the apple taste I guess, well as long as I don't add even MORE apples in the form of apple sauce...). Wild, eh?

No longer mixing the Complete pellets with the instant HPW - serving the pellets separately with hefty dose of honey and sprinkle with filtered water then microwave for 15-25 seconds - let cool and serve. They eat it but not very much... seems to vary night to night.
BML / HPW

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
BML / HPW