Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
White eye
White eye
Health related
Dec 22 2019
07:44:22 PM
My Luna has an eye that has turned white. It happened pretty suddenly since it was fine until a few days ago.
She is five years old. She's always been hard of seeing but not totally blind. She seems fine. Her eye looks normal other than white. Any ideas about this?

Health related
Jan 01 2020
06:31:30 PM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
I thought I should add the recent developments on this so that others who may have the same problem would learn from experience.
I had googled sugar glider with white eye and researched it here as well. Just about everything I saw was about cataracts, and a couple things about fatty deposits in the eye. Those things didn't seem concerning so I delayed bringing her to the vet. That was a bad decision.

My Luna's eyeball began to swell. So I brought her to the vet, and it turns out she has a bad infection. I'm treating her with pain meds, antibiotics, and eye drops. I hope she heals. Please send positive thoughts our way.
Health related
Jan 01 2020
11:48:16 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
best of luck to you.
I have lost 2 gliders and it can be hard. I also rehomed a few and
learned later on some had passed on, even that stinks.
I have gliders, dogs, cats. always stinks to lose one.
Health related
Jan 11 2020
08:45:15 AM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
Update on Luna:
Yesterday the vet said the ulcer in her eye has healed. BUT, the damage is done so either it will always remain as is (white, blind) or it will continue to swell and cause pain (glaucoma) and need medication for the rest of her life. So, I'm doing steroid eye drops for the rest of the weekend, then I stop and see if her eye stays the same. If it does, good. If it doesn't then probably glaucoma and will need medications. So she sees the vet again (fourth time?) on Friday at the same time that I drop Gimli off.

I hope this information helps someone in the future.
White eye

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
White eye