Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
bonding
bonding
Question
Dec 23 2019
09:47:47 AM
I just recently brought home my female sugar glider. She is approximately 12 weeks old. Previous owner was handling her very minimal because she didn't want to get attached. So for the first 24 to 48 hours. I have gave her some space to adjust to being separated from momma. In that time frame she didn't eat and barely saw her come out of sleeping pouch that her and her mother shared. After 48 hours I held her for period of time each night now and she has her crying moments and still wont come out of pouch with me holding her. She did take a piece of apple from me and ate it and that night she finally came out and did eat. Also she did transfer from her pouch she was in with momma to new one I had set up in the cage for her. I guess my question is is this normal and about what else can I do to gain her trust little more? Is there an average time frame that this will continue or get better?
Question
Dec 25 2019
10:01:56 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
can take time for such a little creature to trust such a LARGE carnivore. Every
glider I have had, 15 so far, at 6 now, act different and bond different.

spend time with them, but dont over do it at first. At night you can sit and talk to them while awake for long times, during day she sleeping so just an hour
or so in bond pouch to start, is how I would do it.

treats, I started with dried papaya from pet store, NO SUGAR on ANYTHING!!
but dried mealworms, yogurt drops, and LIVE mealworms are great. My gliders
come running from all parts of the room when I shake the LIVE mealworm container.

I like to keep my hands low, less threatening. I like to take sleeping
pouch out and sit on couch with hand in pouch during day with them sleeping with
my hands, but this is after I feel they won't jump out and run.

time, treats, scent, time.

also for stubborn glider, I like after some time to give them a little push if
needed. so normally I would feed the glider a treat, then after time, make them
come to me for the treat, then over time, make them step on my hand for the treat, then lastly crawl all the way on my hand/arm for the treat, hopefully they stay on my arm and eat. the PUSH would be for a stubborn glider just to pick them up, hold them on my arm and have them eat a tasty treat while I don't let them run away. even my scared Scarface will sit on my arm to eat her treat, THEN run away.
bonding

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
bonding