Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Gliders come to me, but only to bite?
Question
Mar 01 2020
11:46:28 PM
So I made a post a bit back about my Gliders being very aggro with crabbing and biting. I've been slowly conditioning them to not crab by giving them treats through the bars of their cage, and talking to them while just generally trying to get them use to me. The newest problem being even more biting. I use to be able to get them in their bonding pouch by just placing the pouch near them but now if I get even near the cage they beg for treats and go for my hands immediately biting them and following me around the cage. They will stick their hands through the bars and try to grab at me. If they manage to grab me I get bit. Its at the point where I can't take them out without them scratching me or biting the hell out of me. They're not crabbing or anything. And when they see me they run towards me. So I'm confused on what that means and how to get them to stop biting me.
Question
Mar 02 2020
01:05:29 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
not being able to see them and watch them makes this one more difficult.
so why would they be biting?
smell, what do your hands smell like? treats, strawberry perfume, almond soap?
my gliders get very excited over LIVE mealworms, unbonded gliders could get so
excited they bite the fingers going for the worms.
fear, sounds like they are not that fearful of you if they are coming to you.
hungry? they sound pretty hungry if they are reaching and grabbing thru
the cage bars. what are you feeding them, and HOW much are you feeding them.
when do they eat dinner and when the treats. how much do they weight?
I feed Ohpw, the wombaroo staple and fruits and veggies. are your gliders
eating all the food? maybe you should give them more dinner, I feed mine at 7 to 9pm at night, they get treats closer to midnight. food removed in morning.
Are your gliders underweight? adults females 120 to 140 grams about and
males 140 to 160 grams. I have one fattie at probably 200 grams and one at
about 165 grams for a female. the others are 160 or less.

try feeding them from a spoon for awhile, or I used the mealworm container or
container lid, then pet them while they eat.

if they stay in pouch during day while asleep make a FIST (harder to bite)
and put in the sleeping pouch with them, if they dont bite or stop biting leave
your fist in with them for 10 to 30 minutes. my wife used to sit on couch with
her hand in sleeping pouch for an hour or so during DAYTIME while they sleep while
she watch TV.

my gliders dont "bite" but some will HARD groom me, grooming some hair or skin then digging in hard! while sleeping/ staying with me during snack time, I put
my hand in with their group and one will start grooming my finger nail then
do a hard cleaning bite.

after a few years I still have one female that doesn't like humans, she runs away
as long as I dont have a treat, and will give me small nips if I put my finger in
front of her face. she just says "leave me alone please"

Edited by - BYK_Chainsaw on Mar 02 2020 01:07:56 PM
Question
Mar 19 2020
09:01:19 AM
BatGirl Glider Visit BatGirl's Photo Album BatGirl's Journal USA 50 Posts
They're going feral on you. Do not 'reward' their bad behavior - treats are for good little Sugar Gliders. By treating them to quieten them down, you're signalling to them you like their aggressiveness - no wonder they're biting, charging you, etc.

Pull back - get yourself a pair of thick fleece gloves - put them in their nest/bedding for two nights to acquire their scent - THEN handle the heck out of them. ONLY give a treat when they become calm and submissive. May take awhile since this has apparently gone on for too long... After handling, when you put them back in their cage, let them leave your hand then offer a treat to lure them back onto your hand - if they choose not to then no reward... if they crawl back on, then give the treat and let them sit there to eat it - if they take the treat and run, wait next time when you lure them onto your gloved hand before treating - give them a moment to realize where they are, then treat. Gotta get them to get comfortable with being around you...

Animal Psychology 101!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders