Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Mum kills joey, food fault?
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Feb 18 2022
02:00:30 PM
Hi all. Were new to having gliders(just over a year) and have loved our two little ones since day one and get on well, they were about 8-10 months when we got them so bonding has taken a little longer than we thought, and theyre not particularly comfortable staying in the hand but arent bothered by them and will happily jump onto them and come climb on us. We found out a little while ago the lady was pregnant and recently gave birth oop. Seeing little pegasus was amazing and ive never been so in love. This was 5days ago. We checked on them last night as usual and pegasus had a little climb on my hand and went back again with no problems, mum and dad both licked him clean and went about their business. As did us. I walked in today from work to find they had killed little pegasus#128557;. What i am wondering, is i got some marsupial milk to try help him grow and ease the work on mum as she was starting to loose abit of weight and looked tired, and last night was the first time i tried him with it. He diddnt seem to like it all that much but my question is, would mum have rejected him for the taste/smell of him and the milk or maybe he had too much and diddnt want his normal feed so she rejected him at that point maybe? Has anyone had this or is it more likely something else caused them to do it? The house is normally quiet between us leaving them last night/morning and me getting home so not alot to scare them. And they always have fresh fruit and dry food left out for them to snack on should they get hungry ontop of their usual feeding. And the only change to the food is i tried them with some avocado because i heard it's good at helping them gain some weight.

Any help would be appreciated im not sure i can see that happen again should she get pregnant again
Thanks
Mark
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Feb 20 2022
10:10:15 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
from what I have read this is not totally abnormal. but happens at times. I feed my gliders OHPW. they suggest preg. females get it with 1/2 cup of wamboroo mixed in the recipe instead of 1/4 cup to help mom with nursing and all the nutrients she needs. so a DOUBLE portion. ALSO the version of this made in
america called critterlove has a breeders version.
So a substantial increase in nourishment is called for preg mommies. but again since this is not so unusual to have happen even an increase in food doesnt guarantee a change in outcome. Having a happy home with toys, running wheel and large cage I personally believe would help.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders