GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Glider won't climb on me at all
Question
Mar 26 2022
08:13:20 PM
Hello

I've not really got an actual problem. I realise these little guys take a while to warm up to one, but, i just can't seem to find any other forum post about this?

My new girl is a year old, but has only been with me for 3 weeks. It's going pretty well i think, the last couple days she's let me pet her in the pouch, and she's pretty used to me being her treat dispenser now.

But when she's actually awake at night, she is scared of my every move. As if I'm the thing to watch out and be scared for, and obviously, this has resulted in her not climbing on me at all. Which is fine, I've got time. But for some reason Google has let me down on whether or not this is a normal thing. Every other post seems to be "They'll climb on me but etc. etc" - I couldn't see my girl wanting to climb on me at all for a long while atm, is that normal after 3 weeks?
Question
Mar 28 2022
01:25:03 PM
GandKaidos Glider 55 Posts
Totally normal. I've had a pre-owned (and not very well socialized before I owned her) glider for over 6 months and she only in the last 2 months is willing to step onto me for snacks.

Don't give up! Remember this is a LOOOONG process. I had to get my first gliders used to my hand being in the cage before they got used to me moving around the cage to pet them. It takes time! You're okay!
Question
Mar 28 2022
04:25:32 PM
gliderloverforever Glider Visit gliderloverforever's Photo Album USA 141 Posts
I echo what GandKaidos said. It's totally normal. Patience and slow movements and she will climb on you eventually. :) I have a little glider who wouldn't come near me for weeks after I got him, but he eventually warmed up and comes to me as soon as I open the cage now. :)
Question
Mar 29 2022
07:37:49 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
3 weeks, HECK YES.
if you have a glider safe room or tent. sit still, DONT MOVE, feed her a treat and then the next treat she has to come closer to you to get it. At this early
stage just sit very still and let her explore and get used to things. start leaving treats on your lap and see if this will get her to climb on you. every glider is
different, so maybe it will be 2 months to calm down, maybe 4 months. Just keep
working with her at night AND keep the room DARKER, VERY LOW LIGHT. I usually have the tv on and a very dim night light in the bedroom.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders