Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Book Review: Sugar Gliders by Peggy Brewer
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 25 2007
11:54:38 PM
This is a review of “Sugar Gliders: Living with and Caring For Sugar Gliders Is this the Right Pet for You?” by Peggy Brewer.

In case you get this book here is the publication information in the event that this book is revised from what I originally read. The ISBN is 978-1-4259-4464-3 and is “first published by AuthorHouse Jan 4, 2007.” Copyright is in the year 2007 by Peggy Brewer.

I've read it, and I didn't really like it. I think there was too much hype for this book to live up to. It's supposed to be the most up-to-date sugar glider book available, but the book gives out old information unfortunately, refers readers to dead websites, and contradicts itself in many different ways.

I counted, and Peggy only wrote 1/3 of the book, and the two largest sections of the book were written by other people, the sections on breeding and self mutilation. The breeding section, although well written, is not appropriate in my opinion. It makes no mention of getting a USDA license, but at least twice says that you're going to have to do some "marketing" in order to sell your gliders. The self mutilation section, although a good resource, seems out of place in a sugar glider care book. It is written as though it's a guide to self diagnosis, and I think such an attitude is inappropriate in a book meant as a guide. These are things a vet should take care of, and the book instructs someone to second guess their vet. I also think too much emphasis was placed on self mutilation when it's not all that common.

As for the diets, it lists one I've never heard of before, "Big Ern's Diet". I searched google and I couldn't find anything regarding it. It is not well established or recognized by many people. Another issue I have is that the diets were simply copied and pasted directly from their corresponding web pages, and with no indication that they were done so. I wonder what else was simply copied and pasted.

Here is a list of notes I made as I read the book. Some of the items I've discussed above. Some items could be considered picky, but I thought it best to be thorough.

Makes an assumption that you already have a stealth wheel, page 6, and doesn't explain what it is. Considering that they’re made in such limited quantities and are so expensive, this could have been a bit more open to other items.

Contradiction on the wild diet of the sugar glider. Page 7 says they’re omnivores while page 2 says they eat sap or nectar, which would make them herbivores.

The BML diet printed is not the back to basics version. Regardless of the version, the entire BML section was written by Bourbon herself since it is a direct copy and paste from her own page. This, and other diets, do not say the source of information.

page 18 contradicts BML, says "never give vitamins made for reptiles to your gliders. Use vitamins made for mammals. Reptiles and mammals have different vitamin and mineral needs."

Apparently 3 days is all it takes to get a sugar glider bonded enough to trust you according to this book.

Page 39, “provide [the mother] with a milk supplement to ensure her milk supply will be adequate for her joeys.” What the heck? Since when is milk directly converted into milk? Nutritious food and water are used by the body, specifically the mammary glands, to create milk. The quoted statement is an inadequate and leads people to the wrong conclusions.

Page 40, “You will need to spend time advertising the joeys and finding potential buyers.” I think this is the wrong message for a supposedly updated book to be telling people. Especially considering all the unwanted gliders that can be so easily found on the internet.

Page 50, “Since the joey is so small, it can not regulate its own body heat yet.” I have yet to see a source for this information. Sugar gliders are mammals; they are warm blooded, and by definition can regulate their body temperature. This is called homeostasis. I think a better statement should be that if a joey is outside of the nest that it can not climb back in or if it is in the nest it can not manipulate nesting material to create the appropriate blanketing layers that a full grown sugar glider would be able to do, simply from lacking the physical strength and coordination to do so.

Page 53 says, in regards to pregnant or nursing gliders, to feed extra protein in the form of “meal worms, crickets, pinky mice, chicken, etc.” This is a contradiction for BML which says to only add more BML for nursing or pregnant mothers.

Page 69 says only males will self mutilate, this is wrong and is contradicted on page 74.

Page 77 “The vet will need to clean up the wound and heal necrotic tissue back to live, healthy tissue.” This doesn’t make any sense. Cleaning a wound would be to remove necrotic tissue. Necrotic tissue is dead and there is no way to bring it back to life, as is stated by the book.

Page 82. There is a warning to make sure your vet never puts “a stitch in the glider’s cloaca to keep the genitalia retracted or for any other reason.” The rest of the paragraph uses the reasoning that sugar gliders are marsupials that have a special physiology. The last time I checked, birds and reptiles have a cloaca as well, and vets in the US are trained to treat those animals. I have a very hard time believing a vet would do something this stupid. And if a vet does do this, then I’m sure they’re smart enough to make sure the sugar glider can still defecate and urinate.

Page 83. In regarding the use of a wood frame for a cage, “wood is also a hazard . . . and possibly cause injury or infection if the glider gets a splinter.” Wild sugar gliders not only scrape bark away from trees, they also chew off strips of wood to make nests. I find the whole splinter theory ludicrous. This is like worrying about beavers going extinct because of splinters.

Page 83. Says to avoid using wood when creating a glider cage. This contradicts the instructions on using wood to build a cage on pages 24 and 25.

Page 85 lists www.harborpro.com and www.gliderhealth.com as two different resources of information for self mutilating sugar gliders. Both internet addresses go to the same web page, and the site has been abandoned and quite a lot of good information has been deleted. The book says to find e-collar instructions on gliderhealth.com, but those instructions have long since disappeared. If anything, the website sm.all4gliders.com/ should have been listed, but unfortunately it’s not any better. It has a link for e-collar plans but is nothing more than an empty page. All the links on that site are either broken or go to empty pages, and it’s been like that for quite a few years unfortunately.

That's the end of the notes I took.

One final shortcoming of the book is that it doesn't cite any sources of information. That is what bothers me the most. It doesn't instruct the reader on where this information came from. When publishing a book as though you're an authority on the subject, it is important to be open about where you got your information from.

To compare to Caroline MacPherson's book, Peggy's book is simply not in the same league. There are sections of Caroline's book that I disagree with, I am not saying it's perfect. However, her book is overall more well rounded. It contains more information, has wonderful illustrations, lists other sources for further reading, says that you need to be licensed to be a breeder and gives the address of the appropriate USDA office. Caroline's book lists one of I. D. Hume's works as further reading, so she has my respect for doing her research, as Hume is very well published regarding marsupial nutrition, as I have one of his books, and it humbles me.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 01 2007
11:14:24 AM
alicia Joey USA 22 Posts

I am really surprised no one else has added his or her ideas on this book. Or are you the type of person that other people don't want to challenge?

No, this book is not perfect, what is? But I personally know she tried very hard to supply a good book that would cover some of the areas other books have missed, and provide additional options, as to diet and such.

As for websites, you post a website today, there is not promise it will be here tomorrow, or it might be changed, there is no way you can hold her responsible for that, and until she is able to make changes, it will just have to stay that way.

Diets, you have not heard of his diet? Odd, I have had gliders for 6 years and I have heard of it. Maybe it's just not a diet discussed on your board. I personally know that Peggy and I both use the same diet, PML, you would think she might only suggest the diet she uses, but she didn't, she tried to show that their are options out there, spark ideas, and tried to provide links to additional information out there.

As for not writing the breeding and babies and sm section, yes, she didn't, she asked those people with MORE experience than she had in these areas to provide that, they knew what it was for, and she does give them credit.

And if you think an sm section is not needed in a basic sugar glider care book, you’re kidding yourself. Like I said, I have had gliders for 6 years, and after a tragic injury, two of my gliders did start to SM. It was due to an injury, but let me tell you, I am giving meds several times a day, have ecollars on both, new hospital cages, it's a long road, but they are getting better. But sm and injuries do happen, and all glider owners need to be informed that it 'can' happen and what to look out for.

Back to links, so, the ecollar link isn't working? That's too bad and I am sure when Peggy is able to update, she will make sure there is a working link. But... even if it didn't work, at least the reader was informed that there is such a thing as an ecollar and can start the internet look for one, they may not have even known there was one before reading it.

Stealth wheel, at the time this book was written, the store was open, and they were readily available. Circumstances changed, and yes, there has been a shortage. But how could Peggy predict this beforehand?

I know that at the time the book was made, the Stealth wheel was the only wheel Peggy felt was safe, she doesn’t use the others, so why would she suggest them if she felt they were unsafe? You wouldn’t suggest something here that you wouldn’t even use on your own gliders would you? Or do you even have gliders anymore?

The Sissy pouch store is closed too. But that is not Peggy’s fault, that’s mine, because I don’t want to make custom pouches right now. Did she know this when she published, no, she did not.

You can not expect all links will work.

I could go through each item you pointed out, but really, I think to be so nit-picky, you must have an agenda, and I won't change your mind. But I don't think you read the book with an open mind, I think you went in there looking for flaws. And yes, there are some typos, some flaws, but once it was sent to print, they could not be changed until later this year.

I do have a major problem with you in one area though, one of your points.

"Page 85 lists www.harborpro.com and www.gliderhealth.com as two different resources of information for self mutilating sugar gliders. Both internet addresses go to the same web page, and the site has been abandoned and quite a lot of good information has been deleted."

Now, Eric, you should know harborpro was Tom's site, you have been around a long time, and everyone that has been in the glider world for more than a few years, know that harborpro is TOM. And you know darn well why it is not good or updated right now. This book was finished long before Tom's illness or unfortunate death, Peggy was crazy about Tom, and they were friends. I am sure she'd rather his sites still be running too, but then, she'd rather just have him here to update them himself. We all would.

I don't know why, but it seems to me you were looking for flaws from the beginning. A review should have the good and the bad. Was there nothing you felt was good about this book? Nothing at all? I find that suspect.

I’ll be honest and upfront, Peggy is a good friend of mine, and of course I would defend her. But don’t get me wrong, I know the book is not perfect, but it’s a good book, a good resource, and worth it’s price. Even if Peggy weren’t my friend, I’d still say the same.

Default, miscellaneous
Mar 01 2007
01:59:18 PM
Eric C Retired GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Eric C's Photo Album Eric C's Journal TX, USA 2321 Posts
You are more than welcome to have your own thoughts and opinions of this book.

Yes, my review is overall negative, but if anyone would have looked over the book and provided some decent editing and objectiveness then I wouldn't have a list as large as that.

This book has gotten nothing but claims that it is "the best book ever", and you're simply complaining because I see things differently from you and your friends.

A lot of what I said is factual; I've provided page numbers so anyone that has the book can independently verify what I've said.

I've also asked Peggy if she would make her electronic copy of the book available for people to download for free. She declined. If you and others feel that the information in this book so important that everyone should read it, then the information should be made available at all costs, even if that cost is for free.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 01 2007
02:46:46 PM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
Alicia, I think you'll find that most of the community here including Eric is very open to comments and opinions and such, especially if such can be supported. Science is all about hypothesis, testing, conclusive proof, and then continued testing to the end of time until something better is found. We are all open to that concept and those are the things that are fun to discuss here. I hope to see other people follow lead and do some book reviews. There are more out there folks!

The "Aussies" keep turning up neat new reads for us, and I am expecting a bag of malteasers anytime now... <grin>

Default, miscellaneous
Mar 01 2007
02:54:37 PM
Ko Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Ko's Photo Album Australia 1168 Posts
Kazko... the Malteasers and the book would be in the mail now but somehow I don't think addressing anything to Kazko @ Glider Gossip would reach you :) I need an address in my PM box :)

Oh don't forget the Tim Tams Love Potions I will send also if I can find room in the package. They are to die for...just don't let the rats get hold of them.

Cheers Ko
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 01 2007
03:50:44 PM
mel Goofy Gorillatoes Visit mel's Photo Album mel's Journal TX, USA 2464 Posts
Well I do not know the author BUT I am sure she put her heart in it. When providing a reference book for care of animals I have to agree that it should be extremely researched, critiqued and edited numerous times AND it should have sources of info. I must say contradictions would be one of the first things an editor and critic should be looking for. Unfortunately for the author she must be willing to be critiqued to prove/disprove points when it comes to health. If the links COULD HAVE BEEN CHANGED BEFORE publication it should have. I have hated it when I do reference research and info is outdated. This IS a new book. This post is NOT intended to personally insult anyone but reference materials are important particularly when it comes to health and care.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 01 2007
04:15:41 PM
Ko Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Ko's Photo Album Australia 1168 Posts
I haven't seen or read the book or know the author either. It is good to see some new information out there available particularly for the new sugar glider owner.

I do agree though if you get others to write chapters for you, to make sure any information is not contradicted as this will be confusing. I also find posting weblinks in a book not particularly smart knowing the nature of the internet, it's here today ..gone tomorrow. I also hope any information gleaned from the web has been given permission to be used and credits given (sorry but I have had lots of copyright infringements happen with my stuff and honestly people sometimes don't think to ask for usage).

Also in the situation with the staggering amount of rescue gliders out there, there should be NO reference to marketing and selling of gliders. The book which is aimed at the new owner, should be trying to encourage neutering or same sex pairing to try and reduce this issue. Also perhaps in a future edition, contact details for rescuers could be included if it's not already there, to encourage people to take in rescue gliders or even have a point of contact should they want to find a home..much better that they go to a knowledgable rescue person. That would be valuable information for sure.

Hopefully the next version will be updated and any inconsistencies such as Eric has pointed out are corrected.

Cheers Ko
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 01 2007
05:04:30 PM
Dancing Glider Visit Dancing's Photo Album USA 179 Posts
I feel it is time for me to jump in here. I do know the author as well. Matter of fact, I wrote the small section on Fostering Gliders. I did not get to read the book until it was published and I received my copy.

I have read this book and I could produce some constructive critisms myself however, I want to STRESS that this book is as up to date as possible, does not contain any information that I view as being a danger to gliders. (such as Caroline McPhersons book saying to make cages out of galvanized wire for example).

I agree that perhaps more editing and such could have been done. I do know that everything she has where information was taken off other sites WAS done so with full permission from the owner/s of those sites. (such as diets) Yes, there should be a sources sited page.

This is Peggy's first book. With all the outdated information out there and all the work the rescuers are doing, not only after someone gives up their glider but before hand to try to help the owners work through the issues they may be having, I think this book is excelent. Could it be better? Yes, probably. But it is the most current book available and has my full support.

Also, the bit about promoting the selling joeys, atleast Eric's review of it, is taken out of context. The section about breeding and babies where it discusses selling joeys actually is meant as a discouraging editorial. It put out there how difficult it is to breed gliders and how unrealistic it is to try to "breed for profit". It explores all the avenues most don't consider, such as trying to find homes for the joeys if the owner isn't planning on keeping them. It discusses the reality of gliders being canabalized and how difficult it is to hand raise a rejected joey. It in no way suggests that gliders should be bred. But fact is people are going to let their gliders breed regardless how much we shout it from the roof tops for them not to. The breeding section is important because so much CAN happen and go wrong. This was the purpose of that chapter.

As for her putting it available on the net for free...MOST of that information IS available for those willing to research. Why should she put her book on the net for free? Her book is intended to target those buying from pet stores (something else that people should stop doing) or trade shows (God! dont' get me started on them) or those that have gliders dropped into their laps unexpectedly without knowing even the first thing about them (like my first glider over 9 years ago).

Peggy strongly encourages anyone to write another glider book. The more good current information out there the better for the gliders. If even ONE person buys her book and learns NOT to feed bird seed and peanut butter as a diet, or they learn to NOT clip a glider's teeth, then this book is so worth it.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 01 2007
11:24:59 PM
jungleflockmom Glider 175 Posts
Authors that pay to publish don't put their books on the internet to upload for free. She doesn't "owe" the glider community this information nor should anyone feel entitled to it as a gift.

I think that telling people they are going to have to work to sell their joeys if they decide to breed is appropriate. There is so much info about how darling and sweet and easy gliders are and how rare they are. blah blah blah. I am seeing posts w/ "best offer" because the joeys are getting older and older and are not sold. It's still common for breeders to sell a "pair" rather than 2 same sex gliders. Blame it on the breeders, not the authors. The book is for new owners and people who don't know as much as most of you.

People on the boards are not the only glider owners. There are probably many more people who have gliders than come to these forums so material in more than pdf format is valuable. I'd still rather hold a book than a laptop.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 02 2007
07:17:50 AM
FaceHugs Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit FaceHugs's Photo Album 1247 Posts
Also, this so far is not a published book in the common sense. This has to be ordered online and is published and sent to you after you order it. (in fact, anyone who wants to make a book about anything can go through these people and have their book "published")
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 03 2007
01:46:18 PM
Facehugs, I'm sorry but you are wrong on that. Her book is already in some pet stores and is already listed at Barnes and Nobles (ships within 24 hours). I do know that this book is going to be available at almost all pet stores in the near future along with the other "pet care manuals" that you can find (such as "Your first Parakeet", "Your New Ferret", what ever they are called).
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9781425944643&itm=9

That is just one source to order this book. If it were not already published and available, they could not ship within 24 hours.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 03 2007
02:38:44 PM
Eric C Retired GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Eric C's Photo Album Eric C's Journal TX, USA 2321 Posts
"Usually ships within 24 hours" is not a guarantee. The publisher, AuthorHouse, is a known vanity publisher. Anyone and their mother can upload a text file and get it printed as a book. The point is that there was no oversight or fact checking at all involved with this 'book.' Copying stuff verbatim from other people's webpages or forums does not constitute research or fact checking at all.

I challenge you to do a side by side comparison of this book with MacPherson's book. MacPherson's book is not perfect, but it is by far superior.

No matter what you or anyone else claims, any book that devotes so much page space to breeding animals and mentions twice that you have to worry about marketing them in order to get rid of them, all without mentioning that a USDA license is needed is nothing more than a joke.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 03 2007
02:47:32 PM
Eric, I am going to assume that you know the laws regarding USDA licencing, but for those that don't If someone has 3 or fewer breeding females, they do not need to be licensed to sell the joeys. Yes, it used to be you had to have the USDA license to sell any but that changed several years ago.

Yes, I do know that Authorhouse is a vanity press. That is really besides the point. For many new authors, that is how they get their start. Many "real" publishers won't even look at a manuscript until it is in print. The "vanity" publishers are often only the first step.

Again, I applaud Peggy for taking the risk, for putting herself on the line in an effort to help new glider owners (many who do not use the internet).

Eric, perhaps you would like to write a book yourself? The more we have, and with more up to date info, the better the new owners will be.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 05 2007
03:59:07 PM
Gimmiesugar Glider USA 51 Posts
It's easy to be critical of someone else's work when one is not prepared to offer an alternative. You've heard the old saying, if you can't offer a solution then you're part of the problem? So, maybe writing a book yourself is what you should do. You might also have more empathy for someone like Peggy who had the best of intentions and created something meant to help new glider owners.

I've read Caroline's book and it's buried in a box somewhere because it was so out dated it wasn't worth reading. So many of the things contained in her book are now proven to be harmful or dangerous to gliders such as the galvanized wire cages. I have no doubt that when she wrote her book she also had the best of intentions and posted what was right and true at the time based on her experiences and research. That doesn't mean it is right and true today.....
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 05 2007
07:55:24 PM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts

Here's the book cover and link to Amazon in case anybody wants it.

Default, miscellaneous
Apr 04 2007
02:10:21 PM
tootles Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap tootles's Journal 1981 Posts
I got this book in a gift exchange!! Has alot of good info and diets in it.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 04 2007
09:05:52 PM
lmtpro Super Glider USA 222 Posts
I am going to apologize in advance for speaking out of place here. I am not very knowledgable about gliders. I am currently in the joey phase of caring for them myself. However, there are things I do know a lot about, some I would even be considered an expert on. What is happening in this post is counterproductive. It seems that everyone is willing to share their opinion, which is great, but you are arguing about who's opinion carries more weight. As a new member and glider caretaker, I can tell you that when people become too assertive in giving their opinion, especially when it seems to be overly criticaql, I add that person to my mental ignore list. The book may not be perfect, and people may not agree with a direction that it goes in, but try not to undermine the person's effort in writing it unless they are just completely off the mark or spreading harmful information. As far as arguing whether or not they should give it for free, who in this post thinks they should have the right to tell someone else how to run their affairs? Let me know so I can steer clear of you. Not pointing towards anyone just making my point.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 06 2007
04:53:54 AM
Blissy Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Blissy's Photo Album 609 Posts
Great post, lmtpro

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders