Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Polls, Votes & Questionnaires
What Kind of Litter Material Do You Use?
Previous | Next |
Page: of 5
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 18 2011
09:18:41 AM
BlackDrappa Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BlackDrappa's Photo Album BlackDrappa's Journal NY, USA 1876 Posts
I use a fleece square which I change out every other day
Default, miscellaneous
Nov 07 2011
12:17:07 PM
MeaghanM Super Glider Visit MeaghanM's Photo Album 228 Posts
Kitty litter is bad for all animals. Even cats!! The dust is awful! If you insist on using some sort of cat litter, (for your gliders, or for your actual cats..) switch to corn litter. It's all natural. Safe for all animals! No dust! Not as easily scoopable as clumping cat litter, but it's a healthy safe alternative!

I personally use carefresh. love it!
Default, miscellaneous
Nov 07 2011
03:17:12 PM
JRMMJONES Face Hugger GliderMap Visit JRMMJONES's Photo Album USA 405 Posts
I have baby receiving blankets under the grate. I change them daily.
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 12 2012
03:54:33 AM
CountrynCrafty Face Hugger GliderMap Visit CountrynCrafty's Photo Album CountrynCrafty's Journal USA 427 Posts
Currently carefresh, but I'm intrigued my "Jana's Liners"...
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 12 2012
08:28:51 AM
Twist-n-ShoutsMom Face Hugger Visit Twist-n-ShoutsMom's Photo Album USA 406 Posts
I use nothing in my drop pan, I just clean it out daily.
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 12 2012
08:56:52 AM
lorncolor Glider Visit lorncolor's Photo Album USA 91 Posts
I use paper towels in the boys tray, and an actual towel in the girls cage. They do not have a pull out tray, so it's easiest with the towel.
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 13 2012
04:11:49 PM
MangoTheGlider Starting Member 9 Posts
Wood shaving are supposed to be bad for there breathing :(
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 13 2012
06:27:15 PM
Grace Face Hugger Visit Grace's Photo Album 428 Posts
I use fleece cage liners in the drop pan underneath the cage bars. I wash it weekly and just empty out the poo/food in the bottom. It soaks up urine quite nicely and doesn't allow it to go everywhere. I spray it twice with the cage cleaner from petsmart to keep the smell down
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 02 2012
01:43:59 PM
Indigo Super Glider Visit Indigo's Photo Album 255 Posts
I have been a glider owner since January 2007. I have two cages. I have tried wood shavings, squares of felt, and nothing at all.

NOTHING AT ALL is my favorite. Just let it fall through the grate onto the tray and wipe the tray every morning with water and a paper towel.

On Saturday I wipe with baking soda and water, scrub with a green scrubbie, and thoroughly rinse in my shower.

It takes only a couple of minutes each morning to wipe them out, and then maybe five minutes to thoroughly wash them in the shower on Saturday, and I am the happiest I have ever been "taking care of business" by using this method.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 11 2012
09:23:47 AM
RChurch Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit RChurch's Photo Album RChurch's Journal USA 1377 Posts
We use white fleece (so we can see any changes in color or consistency in their bowel movements & report it to the vet immediately).
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 02 2012
03:26:47 PM
taiwangirlie Glider Visit taiwangirlie's Photo Album USA 137 Posts
we don't use anything, just rinse they tray every morning.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 09 2012
12:18:02 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I currently use newspaper, the former owners said she tried puppy pads but the girls just reached down through bars and pulled it apart, so ended up using nothing, just cleaned it daily. I decided test newspaper, I like the idea of recycling the newspaper over using paper towels. The girls do not come into contact with the paper and don't reach down for anything, the paper stays intact. If I ever find it becomes an issue, or maybe just anyway in the future I may get some fleece and cut a few down to fit bottom of pan. I change the paper out weekly and wipe down tray now, so I figure with the fleece liner I could do the same, but would like to have an extra 1 or 2 liners on hand. My only concern is the girls like fleece, so they may try to pull it up, even though they don't bother with the paper.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 09 2012
01:19:54 PM
icuspeak Joey Visit icuspeak's Photo Album 39 Posts
I don't use anything. I wipe there cages down every morning. I didn't know if we could use anything so I didn't. I don't mind the quick sweep and the quick wipe down every morning. Gives me extra time with my babies. :)
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 01 2012
06:13:58 PM
Summernicole Super Glider Visit Summernicole's Photo Album OK, USA 251 Posts
"Care Fresh" bedding :) No odor..I've used it with unaltered suggies, rabbits, guinea pigs, and rats.
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 01 2012
09:39:46 PM
Cora1 Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Cora1's Photo Album TX, USA 935 Posts
I put velux blanket cut to fit on the bottoms of most of my cages(I need more). I put newspaper in the drop trays but the velux keeps the bars on the bottom a lot cleaner and nails dont get stuck in it. I cant take credit for thinking of it cause I stole the idea from the glidertree. We cant have their toes touching the cold bars now can we?
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 06 2012
11:44:38 AM
Trooper789 Joey USA 41 Posts
I use puppy pads, they're so easy! I just wrap them around the wire at the bottom of the cage.
My glider does like closeness so he always crawls under them to nap.
For when he does this I put paper towels at the very bottom (in the pull-out part).
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 06 2012
11:50:52 AM
dooney Face Hugger Visit dooney's Photo Album 532 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Trooper789

I use puppy pads, they're so easy! I just wrap them around the wire at the bottom of the cage.
My glider does like closeness so he always crawls under them to nap.
For when he does this I put paper towels at the very bottom (in the pull-out part).

I would put the pads in the pull out try and away from the glider. they have a chemical in them (gel like. I would hate for the glider to get into that!
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 08 2012
10:32:53 PM
Summernicole Super Glider Visit Summernicole's Photo Album OK, USA 251 Posts
In cages with trays I use Care Fresh rodent bedding. In my cage without a pan or anything under it, I line the bottom with a fleece "blanket" I cut to the cage size.
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 28 2012
03:29:54 PM
happybooker1 Starting Member 9 Posts
Puppy pads here too.
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 29 2012
12:28:15 AM
tiffsuggie Glider Visit tiffsuggie's Photo Album 84 Posts
im getting my suggies in a couple of weeks and for a year ive been planning on useing the puppy potty training "weewee" pads! i now know they work great, thanks!! they also save money and are a quick easy clean up:)
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 08 2012
07:22:44 PM
wmnblueeyes Starting Member USA 6 Posts
puppy pads
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 08 2012
11:53:33 PM
BuzzAndJessie Glider GliderMap Visit BuzzAndJessie's Photo Album USA 152 Posts
I use cotton puppy pads. We couldn't use them for our puppy because she would soil and then eat them. They work really well for the gliders, however.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 09 2012
07:16:34 AM
som3randomp3rson Face Hugger Visit som3randomp3rson's Photo Album 971 Posts
I use paper towels with nothing printed on them. (I actually have no idea if things printed on them could be bad, but I figure better safe than sorry). Mine only mess with the paper towels when they drop some good food down there. For instance, both REALLY like apples. So if I serve apples and say papaya one night for their fruits, but then a bunch of berries the next, sometimes, they'll try to fish old apple bits up from the paper towels, because they prefer apples. Silliness.
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 30 2012
10:20:47 PM
AllisonNicole Starting Member USA 0 Posts
I just have a drop pan and I wipe it out with wipes
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 01 2012
09:32:58 PM
Bella2012 Glider Visit Bella2012's Photo Album 169 Posts
Paper towels...white not print.
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 07 2012
02:39:28 PM
lilianmtzc Super Glider Visit lilianmtzc's Photo Album 226 Posts
I use

www.northshorecare.com/chux1.html

These! They're like jumbo puppy pads! They don't have that little scent and don't gel, to my understanding they're just cotton. The large is almost big enough to cover the entire pull out tray and my gliders have never reached down into them. :) They're really absorbent and make it SUPER easy to clean.
Default, miscellaneous
Nov 01 2012
10:04:53 PM
viciousencounters Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit viciousencounters's Photo Album viciousencounters's Journal NM, USA 2907 Posts
I have switched to using Jana's Cage Liners, I shake it off and throw it in the laundry with the rest of their things. It has been much easier than taping together pieces of paper to fit the tray since she makes them customized to your tray.

http://gr8pots.webs.com/
Health related
Nov 03 2012
03:52:44 AM
BindiAndScrubbie Glider Visit BindiAndScrubbie's Photo Album 55 Posts
I use this dust free, recycled newspaper product. It's great.

http://www.yesterdaysnews.com/Products/CatLitter.aspx

Edited by - BindiAndScrubbie on Nov 03 2012 04:04:15 AM
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 23 2012
08:46:20 AM
RaverBob Glider GliderMap Visit RaverBob's Photo Album RaverBob's Journal Canada 92 Posts
I use puppy pee pads in my larger cages and paper towels in my joey cages. The only issue I've ever had was with one male. He used to take the whole pee pad and pull it all into his pouch. LOL
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 12 2013
08:54:46 AM
mingsmom Face Hugger Visit mingsmom's Photo Album USA 511 Posts
I use the puppy wee wee traning pads- I agree that cleanup is a snap! For whomever asked about cat litter under the bottom grate- no! It is really dusty and I'm no expert by a very long shot- it just doesn't sound healthy! Also, the home-made cage cleaner posted by someone here is the greatest! The tea tree oil,etc leave behind a great clean smell and my girls don't seem to mark as much after I started using it! I think it was Tanya that posted that . Thanks for the how-to on such a great product!
Wendy
Previous | Next |
Page: of 5

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Polls, Votes & Questionnaires