Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
What do they do to get rid of a yeast infection if.......
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 03 2007
01:49:19 PM
What do they do to get rid of a yeast infection in mom's pouch? Is it any different if babies are still in pouch? Are there signs to look for or ways to prevent this?
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 03 2007
02:05:18 PM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
Why do you think she has a yeast infection? What are her symptoms?
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 03 2007
02:09:09 PM
Eric C Retired GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Eric C's Photo Album Eric C's Journal TX, USA 2321 Posts
I don't know the answer to this and I couldn't find an answer by searching Google either. I think the best thing to do is take your glider to the vet for a checkup. You really should have an expert look at your animal as it is easy for a non-expert to misdiagnose problems. A vet should be the one to determine if something is indeed a yeast infection or perhaps something different.

Problems with the pouch and joeys could lead to the mother rejecting the joeys due to pain from them nursing. I've also seen mention that a pouch yeast infection could a possible cause of a self mutilation.
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 03 2007
02:20:12 PM
grauglider Super Glider GliderMap Visit grauglider's Photo Album grauglider's Journal USA 260 Posts
I just got a girl for my joey so just posting questions about things I've heard of happening to other people if anyone has had this happen to their glider please chime in. I just wondered how they treat it also. Thanx for being worried though guys. I just want to be prepared.
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 03 2007
02:56:33 PM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
A pouch yeast infection would need to be treated by a vet. If she starts paying a lot of attention to her pouch - licking it a lot, that could be an indication that something is wrong. Also - it may look a litter red and sore.

Just make certain you know what your suggie looks like all over when they are well - then you will know there is a problem just by looking.

Edited by - Rita on Sep 03 2007 02:57:52 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 04 2007
07:52:44 AM
mommycrippy Super Glider GliderMap Visit mommycrippy's Photo Album MI, USA 350 Posts
First off I would say take her to the vet. But just a thought...they say a woman can put yogurt up where she gets a yeast infection! I haven't had to try it but I did have a friend who did cause her doctor told her to. It was funny because her doctor told her she needed to buy yogurt for her yeast infection. She said oh that is easy because I like yogurt. He told her it wasn't for eating! She couldn't believe it. Just a funny thought...wonder if you could put yogurt in her pouch! Then she would probably really lick her pouch..so maybe not a good idea.
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 04 2007
08:15:33 AM
AngieH Face Hugger GliderMap Visit AngieH's Photo Album 934 Posts
Any changes in the condition of the females pouch should be checked by a vet. We have seen several cases of breast cancer in gliders over the last year. Please get thoses wellness checks done yearly at least, twice a year is better.

Edited by - AngieH on Sep 04 2007 08:16:17 AM
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 05 2007
02:22:09 PM
grauglider Super Glider GliderMap Visit grauglider's Photo Album grauglider's Journal USA 260 Posts
So no one has ever had this happen to their mama suggie or knows how they would treat it for sure?
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 06 2007
10:01:59 PM
AngieH Face Hugger GliderMap Visit AngieH's Photo Album 934 Posts
There are medications the vet can give but I would let the vet do the diagnosis and suggest the treatment. You don't want to make a mistake and then lose your glider to breast cancer that could have been removed and treated if caught early enough.

Edited by - AngieH on Sep 06 2007 10:29:30 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 06 2007
10:17:45 PM
Drakkie Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit Drakkie's Photo Album Drakkie's Journal USA 1116 Posts
Yogurt? Wow...lol I never heard of that! I prly would've thought the same thing when your friend said that LOL! "No prob, i like yogurt " lol.

But other than that, I d k....try looking yeast infections for kangaroos and see if you can find something that might help cure it...IDK! ack

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders