General Chat
Tips on Cutting the Electric Bill???
Next |
Page: of 2
Question
Jul 31 2008
07:34:54 PM
I got my electric bill today and it went up $120.00 from last month!!! I'm am in shock!

Can we share some energy saving tips? Im sure we could all use the help with the rising cost of - well, everything!!
Information
Jul 31 2008
07:53:53 PM
Roz Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Roz's Photo Album USA 902 Posts
Our bill this month was $380.00 and FPL is raising rates I think next month.....This is the highest ever....

I was told that eah ceiling fan costs $7.00 per day to run..so if you are not in that room ..turn it off...

If you are going out turn AC to 78 or 79...compressor will not come on..when you get home turn it down to what you like...less expensive to do it that way then to turn it off..as house gets so hot when you come back the compressor has to run constant to cool down....if you have unused rooms close the central air vents....

Don't run dishwasher or washer with out a full load.

Grill/bar b que..use oven less.... love that one as hubby does grilling..and you can even do sides on the grill...ie corn of the cob..baked potatoe....living in hurricane Florida I learnt along time ago you can "cook" almost everything on the grill....

Electric water heater..turn down and shower with a spouse....really good in cold winters...as after you won't need the electric heater going...promise you that...
Question
Jul 31 2008
08:28:12 PM
tootles Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap tootles's Journal 1981 Posts
I live in the great Texas heat woo Hooo!! So here are my tips and it seems to work for us. We have 2,558sq feet of home to cool and heat. Our bill this month is at it's highest amount 323.00. It only went up 18.00 from last month and we have had record high heat here. So what do I do???? I ran a box fan in my loft and we recently put a celing fan. According to it's box an our electric company it costs 10.00 or less a month to run them. I have curtains and I keep them pulled in the hotest rooms of our house. Also miniblinds. Now mind you we run a frig, lrg freezer, spa pump, pool pump, and salt pump daily. We have gas hot water heater and heat. Also you can buy energy effecient fans now too. We also try not to turn on lights when not needed because they heat the room. WE also use energy effecient bulbs. Oh and I also set my thermostat at 78 during the day we wait till around 7pm before we start cooling it down so it does not work so hard. And at night we sleep at 73 or 72. Also check where your vents blow if they blow towards your thermostat you need to turn them so you get a proper run time on your ac.

Edited by - tootles on Jul 31 2008 08:30:12 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 31 2008
10:48:02 PM
SGold Super Glider GliderMap Visit SGold's Photo Album SGold's Journal USA 353 Posts
our bill was $600 last month....i don't even know where to begin..
Question
Jul 31 2008
10:59:00 PM
Zahra Super Glider GliderMap Visit Zahra's Photo Album USA 321 Posts
use surge protectors and power strips (are they the same? i am electronically challenged) and turn them off when you are not using the appliances. you would be amazed how much energy things like tv's and microwaves and computers suck up when they're not even on!!! i just recently did that, my electric bill went from $39 to $28, and the second month i was using the ac a lot more! don't laugh at my excitement over $11 please, i live in a one-bedroom and i'm a student so what little money i do have goes to my sugar gliders (ok, and clothes )
Question
Jul 31 2008
11:12:05 PM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
These are some very good tips!!! Keep them coming!!!

I have been trying to use my dryer less by hanging clothes outside on the deck to dry. And turning all lights off that arent needed.

I no longer go to work and leave my home computer on all day.

One bad habit I have to break is going to sleep and leaving the TV on all night. I wake up around 4am and turn it off....

I dread seeing next months bill even more than this one. Our electric went up 36% and our water and sewer both went up. My cable bill went up. And they started taking an additional 10% out of our checks for health insurance. Im going backwards here!!!
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 01 2008
07:51:37 AM
stilaintrite Glider GliderMap Visit stilaintrite's Photo Album 130 Posts
Hmmm...very good ideas only one I can think of is don't leave lamps or anything giving off heat near or on by the thermostat
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 01 2008
12:35:19 PM
Ahsaehr Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Ahsaehr's Photo Album Ahsaehr's Journal USA 3478 Posts
actually a turned off tv usually uses more electricity than one turned on. Our electric company told us to leave ours on.
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 01 2008
01:30:44 PM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
I know it's an initial investment, but new windows can make a huge difference in keeping heat/cool in or out. We have been switching to the energy efficient bulbs as the others burn out as well. Energy efficient appliances can replace your current ones when it's time, lower the temp on your water heater, close vents/doors in areas you aren't using, I really only turn lights on when the sun goes down with any room that has a window, lots of clothes can be washed in cold water, if you have newer appliances, your Utility company may give you rebates or discounts for using them, make sure you don't have leaky faucets, hoses, etc..., only water your lawn as needed.

All I know is having a new house with energy efficient appliances, new windows, etc... our utility bill is LOWER than our last house and we grew by 2,000 sq. ft!

OR you could just live in a tent. LOL
Question
Aug 01 2008
02:48:10 PM
Catman Goose Catcher GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Catman's Photo Album CO, USA 2670 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Ahsaehr

actually a turned off tv usually uses more electricity than one turned on. Our electric company told us to leave ours on.

You are joking right??
Question
Aug 01 2008
04:41:33 PM
dizzysmom Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Visit dizzysmom's Photo Album dizzysmom's Journal IN, USA 3882 Posts
That sounds hinky to me too.

Here's a great article, and it mentions TV power too.

http://www.coopamerica.org/pubs/caq/articles/summer2008/LevelOne.cfm

Edited by - dizzysmom on Aug 01 2008 05:05:10 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 01 2008
05:56:54 PM
Ahsaehr Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Ahsaehr's Photo Album Ahsaehr's Journal USA 3478 Posts
No, and it was on the tv on this how to save money. Most TVs suck up a lot of power while turned off.
Question
Aug 01 2008
07:35:38 PM
Zahra Super Glider GliderMap Visit Zahra's Photo Album USA 321 Posts
you know, i actually heard that once too, but i could find no written evidence of it. i just looked again, too- every reputable website says turned off uses way less. regardless, if you unplug the tv it used no electricity at all.
Question
Aug 02 2008
05:55:02 AM
dizzysmom Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Visit dizzysmom's Photo Album dizzysmom's Journal IN, USA 3882 Posts
Any electrical appliance with a remote uses some power even while turned off because it is "looking" for a signal from the remote. But - it isn't nearly as much power as when it is turned on. Unplugging the appliance uses zero power.
Question
Aug 02 2008
10:20:50 AM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
Use washers, dryers, dish washers, etc in the evening hours, which are not considered peak times.

Wash clothes in cold water.

Let your hair air dry at least once a week. Little steps help!
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 03 2008
01:50:01 PM
prdycool Face Hugger GliderMap Visit prdycool's Photo Album prdycool's Journal USA 694 Posts
If you don't have the money for new windows and have decent windows already, you can look into window cling film systems they have. You can get a professional to do it or buy it at lowe's and do it yourself. The film can reduce the incoming UV rays by 80%! Keep the solar energy from coming in during the summer giving you a cooler house AND keeps thermal energy inside during the winter! This stuff is supposed to really help on heating and cooling bills.

I also let my hair air dry every day! Good to hear it's helping at least a little lol.
Question
Aug 03 2008
03:26:34 PM
glidersaver Starting Member 2 Posts
My wife and I picked up new curtains that had the "blackout" panel with it and our bill is $30.00 cheaper than the month before and the house has stayed much cooler. We keep them pulled in the daytime while we are at work and it has really helped!!!!!
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 04 2008
03:38:39 AM
MRattan Starting Member 7 Posts
Take a couple days off, unplug everything and go backpacking! lol Just kidding. Although it does sound nice right?!?!

There are companies out there that actually rent solar panels out now at very fair prices that will save on you electricity costs. Here's an article about one of the companies. www.worldwatch.org/node/4828

500 bucks to start and a per kilo-watt charge after that.

I've also heard of programs where you can actually sell power back to the electricity company. Of course you'd have to have a way to produce it first.

Edited by - MRattan on Aug 04 2008 03:39:39 AM
Question
Aug 04 2008
11:29:13 AM
Catman Goose Catcher GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Catman's Photo Album CO, USA 2670 Posts
quote:
OR you could just live in a tent. LOL

Yeah live in a tent!! We have been sleeping in a tent, in the backyard for almost 2 months now,seriously! I'm not sure how much power we are saving because I ran an extension cord to the tent for the TV and DVD player. The kid loves it and has had papa over to spend the night in the tent a few times. Air mattress is a must. I sleep so much better outside.
Question
Aug 04 2008
11:07:31 PM
salamander Super Glider Visit salamander's Photo Album WA, USA 273 Posts
We save money (and also time) by not having cable/satellite TV. I did go through withdrawals a little but you can watch so many videos and also TV shows on the internet so it wasnt too bad. Here are two sites that I have found to watch TV shows.

Discovery:

http://video.discovery.com/#

HGTV:

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/pac_ctnt_988/text/0,,HGTV_22056_68627,00.html

Information
Aug 05 2008
11:23:01 AM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
Once I collect the info, I'll come and report how much energy my few CRT tv's use when on and when off. What is empowering is being able to then calculate the cost to you.

Most folks have never paid attention to energy use, they just pay the bill and only notice when it is higher. My brother is one such person and only this month has he finally realized that hes been paying .11 cents higher per kw than I have been and we live in the same city.

http://www.sugarglider.com/journal/Kazko/Saving_Energy_204.asp

Question
Aug 13 2008
02:22:43 PM
Tate and Jodi Super Glider GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Tate and Jodi's Photo Album IA, USA 393 Posts
i don't know if this will be helpful, but i picked this up at the fair. it is labeled mythbusters

Myth: setting your thermostat back during the day doesn't save money b/c your heating system has to work hard when you get home to warm the house back up (or cool it down)

Rule of thumb: dpending on the climate where you live and the fficiency of your home, including levels of insulation, you should be able to set your thermostat back several degrees for 8 hrs a day which ill reduce the number of times your heating or cooling system needs to cycle on during the day - and that saves significant energy. it's true that when you come home and turn up your thermostat, your heating aor cooling system will run for a longer pd of time to get your home up to its optimal temperature. but you'll still have saved more energy (and money) over the 8 hours your system worked less intensely. so go ahead and set your thermostat back

Recommendation: turn your thermostat back several degress every night and when you leave home. Better still-install a programmable thermostat. it will remember to turn the thermostat up an down based on you schedule, so you never to have to remember. this can save you about $100 a year.

Myth: replacing your old windows is the most cost-effective inergy improvement you can make to reduce you home energy bills.

Rule of thumb: replacing windows is not the most cost0effectie way to reduce your energy bills. the actual amount of your savings depends on how leaky your old windows are, how many windows your older home has, how tight and wel-insulated your home is, and how efficiently the heating system operates. the biggest benefits from replacing windows are improved comfort , aesthetics, and added resale value.

Recommendations: if you'r planning to replace your windows, make sure you get ENERGY STAR (R) windows. this small incremental increase in cost will pay you back in lower energy bills. as ENERGY STAR (R) rated windows are significantly more energy efficient than windows without the ES label.

myth: basements and crawlspaces don't need to be insulated, since they are primarily below the grade and we don't live in them.

FACT: according to the Department of Energy, an uninsulated foundation can result in a large heat loss from an otherwise tight sealed, well insulated home. it can also make rooms below grade uncomfortable. foundation insulation can result in lower heating requirements and may help avoid water vapor condensation problems. however, a poorly designed foundation insulation system can cause many problems such as radon infiltration, moisture problems, and inset infestation.

Myth: Tightening up ductwork doesn't save energy bc the ducts are normally located inside the house, so any air that leaks out will leak into the house anyway.

FACT: in homes that have a forced air furnace, sealing leaky ducts will put heat where you want it, making you feel more comfortable quickly when the heating or cooling kicks in. sealing ductwork also will balance the system so it operates more efficiently and more safely. fixing ductwork problems pays multiple dividends. when sealing ductwork in places that are accessible, using mastic (a gooey grey substance that is put on ductwork joints with a paint brush) rather than duct tape )which often starts to come off within a year), is your best choice.

sorry bout sloppy typing
edited to fix the lines

Edited by - Tate and Jodi on Aug 13 2008 02:24:12 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 13 2008
02:24:52 PM
Tate and Jodi Super Glider GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Tate and Jodi's Photo Album IA, USA 393 Posts
i also have osmething that gives about ten tips on saving gas. want me to post that too?
Question
Aug 13 2008
10:51:48 PM
salamander Super Glider Visit salamander's Photo Album WA, USA 273 Posts
Sure.

I have adjusted my driving habits but would love to learn more tips.

Right now I drive 65 on the freeway instead of the 70 speedlimit, try and coast a ways before coming to a stop, slower accelerations, and try and avoid driving.

I have read that getting gas in the mornings is best because it is colder and you get a little more gas that way (it is denser if I remember right).
Question
Aug 14 2008
04:37:49 PM
Green driving tips from
greenercars.org

* Avoid "jack rabbit" starts and aggressive driving. Flooring the gas pedal not only wastes gas, it leads to drastically higher pollution rates. One second of high-powered driving can produce nearly the same volume of carbon monoxide emissions as a half hour of normal driving.

* Think ahead. Try to anticipate stops and let your vehicle coast down as much as possible. Avoid the increased pollution, wasted gas, and wear on your brakes created by accelerating hard and braking hard.

* Follow the speed limit! Driving 75 mph instead of 65 mph will lower your fuel economy by about 10 percent, and can dramatically increase tailpipe pollution in many vehicles.

* When possible, plan your trips to avoid rush hour. Stop-and-go driving burns gas and increases emissions of smog-forming pollutants.

* Combine trips. Warmed-up engines and catalysts generate much less air pollution, so combining several short trips into one can make a big difference.

* Take a load off. Carrying around an extra 100 pounds reduces fuel economy by about 1 percent. Take a few moments to unload your cargo area.

* If your vehicle has it, use overdrive gear at cruising speeds. When driving a manual transmission, shift up as soon as possible. Running in a higher gear decreases the rpm and will decrease fuel use and engine wear.

* Try using the vents and opening windows to cool off before you turn on the air conditioner. Air conditioner use increases fuel consumption, increases NOx emissions in some vehicles, and involves environmentally damaging fluids.

* Unlike many older cars and trucks, modern vehicles don't need to warm up and they have automatic chokes, so you don't need to step on the gas pedal before starting the engine.

Maintenance Tips

* Keep your tires properly inflated. Tires should be inflated to the pressure recommended for your vehicle; this information is often printed inside the door frame or in your owner's manual. For every 3 pounds below recommended pressure, fuel economy goes down by about 1 percent. Tires can lose about 1 pound of pressure in a month, so check the air pressure regularly and always before going on a long trip or carrying heavy loads. Underinflated tires can also detract from handling, safety, and how long the tires will last.

* Buy low-rolling-resistance (LRR) replacement tires. Switching to a typical set of replacement tires lowers a vehicle's fuel economy as much as 4 percent. LRR tires, on the other hand, are specially designed to improve a vehicle's fuel economy. Most major tire manufacturers now produce LRR models, so when it comes time to replace your tires, seek out a set of LRRs.

* Check your own fuel economy every few weeks. If you notice it slipping, that could mean you have a minor problem with the engine or your brakes. Using this advance warning, you can fix problems before you have a breakdown on the road.

* Get a tune-up. Whether you do it yourself or go to a mechanic, a tune-up can increase your fuel economy. Follow owner's manual guidelines. Be sure to check for worn spark plugs, dragging brakes, and low transmission fluid; have your wheels aligned and tires rotated; and replace the air filter if needed. Make sure all used vehicle fluids are recycled or disposed of safely.

* Change the oil. In addition to making your car or truck last longer, replacing the oil and oil filter regularly will also help fuel economy. Check your owner's manual for specific recommendations about how often to change. Ask the service station if they recycle used oil, or if you do it yourself, take your old oil to someplace that does recycle. Ask for recycled oil as a replacement.

* Have your vehicle's emission control system checked periodically. Take it in for service if an instrument panel warning light comes on.

Prudent Parking

* Park in the shade in summer to keep your car cool and minimize evaporation of fuel.

* If you have a garage, use it as much as possible to keep your car warm in winter and cool in summer.

* If you have to park outdoors, windshield shades can cut down on summer heat and help keep the frost off in the winter.
Question
Aug 18 2008
05:54:48 PM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
I was amazed at how much energy I was wasting around the house. Or more so, I was amazed at how much energy I was able to save around the house by simply knowing about it.

I highly recommend buying a Kill A Watt power meter and trending some of your devices to see how they burn power.

One thing I learned was that some of my workstations were only in S1 standby mode. By switching to S3, I was able to cut standby consumption from 60 watts to 4 watts. Of course on a few of my machine I never even used standby mode to begin with. So my TV computer was sitting there idling all day long at 100+ watts whereas now it sits in S3 standby burning only 4 watts and the scheduler can still turn the machine on to record shows. Over the year I have saved tons of wattage and cash by simply having my tv go to sleep when idle.

I also highly recommend installing a whole home power meter. These devices can tell you what the entire home is using and what the current month bill is looking like. You can actually see what the HVAC uses real time. TED: The Energy Detective is a great thing when used with its pc software. The software can trend usage over time and can do some neat magic such as profiling larger power consumers. So it can learn that a 4000 watt spike means that the hvac is running and from that it can determine what that alone is costing you to run. It's neat and very useful stuff. I am collecting a baseline of energy use that will help me to determine if the radiant barrier is helping any and when I get a new HVAC unit, I will have data to compare it to to see if the updated SEER ratings really make a difference.

The cost of energy is on the rise and wont be falling, ever. We all need to find ways to conserve, even us website operators. I long for the day when I can have a solar array on the roof and a few vertical wind turbines around the property all working together. Let us hope that legislation comes to pass where such effort is supported and rewarded.

Default, miscellaneous
Aug 18 2008
10:28:14 PM
I just captured data on two of the three tv's that we have in the house. Both are 27" units made many years apart.

Livingroom draws 0watts when off and 60watts when on which also fluctuates with video and audio needs.

Bedroom draws 0watts when off and 63watts when running which also fluctuates with video and audio needs.

The tv's do draw a tiny amount of power on standby, but all I could measure was 1va, much less than a watt.

So I have concluded that leaving your TV off and plugged in doesnt waste any power, but running it all day will burn from 50 to 100 watts depending on your crt system. I do not have any plasma or lcd tv to measure but I have measured my LCD computer panels and they draw very little power when in use, somewhere from 15 to 22 watts.

Default, miscellaneous
Aug 18 2008
11:04:44 PM
Ceiling fans run anywhere from 50 to 120 watts when operating. I have calculated one of mine to run at 80 watts. If you leave your fan on all day like folks suggest you do to save energy, then 80 watts x 24 hours = 1920 watts / 1000 = 1.92kw * .13 per kw = .25 per day to run the ceiling fan.

It is minuscule, but turning off the ceiling fan when you are not home can save a little bit of money over the year.

I use x10 modules and motion sensors to turn on desk lamps and fans when I am there and they time out and turn off when I am away.

I have an X10 motion sensor and module to light up a small string of lights under my bed to light up the floor when I walk in at night. So I dont have to use any large lights or disturb anyone. It times out in 2 minutes.

Using occupancy sensors and such can save cash over the long haul.

Setting your pc to go to S3 standby after 5 to 10 min can save tangible money.

Using the SLEEP button on your keyboard if u walk away or setting your pc power button to go to sleep is a great habit to form.
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 19 2008
10:08:43 AM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 19 2008
11:23:25 AM
We have gas heat, gas hot water and gas clothes dryer. Surprisingly, the stove and oven are electric with no plumbing available. Im glad our heaters are gas here. If they werent, I would be dangerously close to over current on our power feed. Those things being gas really saves a lot on the power bill.

Another small change one can make to their home is to install tankless water heaters regardless if they are electric or gas. Tank water heaters are getting more and more efficient with less waste, but if you are an empty nester or have a small home or such, tankless is the way to go. You can also install small electric tankless heaters under sinks and such so you get immediate heat with no energy wasting over time. The little units draw about 3kw when making real-time hot water, but thats only when its flowing. They shut off and draw nothing the rest of the time. For me, 3kw/hr would cost .39, so 5 minutes of hot water from a tap or electric shower heater would cost .03 or close to a penny a minute. It seems cheaper to pay a penny per minute for hot water than it does to operate a tank all day long all year round.
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 19 2008
11:52:03 AM
I just saw a commercial on TV saying a turned off TV eats more power than one turned on. Really I did, probably the same one Ahsaehr saw.
Next |
Page: of 2

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat