Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
ALERT!!
ALERT!!
Heated Debates
Dec 16 2008
03:06:48 PM
I was searching for some hedgies so that I could expand into breeding them, and I stumbled upon an ad for a "breeder sellout" from this guy. This is my complete e-mail conversation with him. I was horrified by the things that I bolded!

All my gliders are standard color. We have occasionally gotten a white tip, but those have not bred back reliably.

I do not keep linages on my animals... I really should I guess. If I did keep records, I could inbreed more relaibly for color mutatiuons. But I have been breeding mostly for standard colors and with 100 pair, the ones I hold back for breeding stand a large chance of breeding out of their lines. That is likely why I haven't gotten many fancy colors.

My hedgehog colors came from purchased animals that brought the genes with them. They were inbred and delveloped elsewhere and I have just kept the colors going.

Our gliders produce about 5 joeys per pair per year on average and, like I said, do come with 1 cubic foot weldwire breeding cages. You could get almost 20 pair in a volume similar to a large airline dog kennel.

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 8:41 AM, (my name edited out) <my email edited out> wrote:

okay. I am a very small breeder (only currently have 2 breeding pairs of gliders), so I was only looking for 3-4 females and 1-2 males. I'm not well-versed in colors of hedgies...I just know that I prefer darker colors. Are all of your gliders standard color? Do you have lineages on all of your animals? How well socialized are your hedgies and gliders? I am still working on my husband agreeing to expanding to hedgies, but I am interested.

(My name edited out)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: (Horrible man's name sadly edited out) <his email edited out>
To: (my name edited out) <my email edited out>
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2008 8:25:03 AM
Subject: Re: sugar gliders and hedgehogs

I have sort of lost count of exact numbers, but for discussion we have about 100 pairs of gliders and 40ish hedgehog sows with almost that many males. Price is a bit negotiable, but we expect $150/pair for the gliders (including cages, cups and food trays) and $100/pair for hedgies to be fair.

The hedgie price is pased on taking a decent number of them and getting a mix of plain colored and fancy colored in the deal. If you were to order only fancy colored pairs, the price would be higher. Our herd produces every color including pintos.

We could certainly bulk ship.

I am sure you are wondering, so I will just tell you... we are moving our business toward birds. We got into the breeding business for the birds and started breeding the mammals to pay the feed bills. We don't need to do that anymore... so...

(horrible man's name edited out)

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 1:15 AM, (My name edited out) <my email edited out> wrote:

wondering what you have as your breeder sellout. I am a breeder of gliders and i am carefully considering getting into hedgehogs. Let me know what you have available and the prices, and also if you would be willing to make a bulk shipment.

(my name edited out)

Edited by - wildlifeangel on Dec 16 2008 04:35:26 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 16 2008
03:18:36 PM
mccubbins7 Face Hugger GliderMap Visit mccubbins7's Photo Album USA 681 Posts
where is this.. we are wanting 2 more hedgies we have one now and i think he needs a girlfriend and a buddy..
i want to give them a better home.
when is this at can ya tell me please..
i feel really bad for them..
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 16 2008
04:32:21 PM
wildlifeangel Glider Visit wildlifeangel's Photo Album MN, USA 71 Posts
his website...CLAIMING TO RESCUE AS WELL! is www.nextpet.com
Heated Debates
Dec 16 2008
04:35:44 PM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
Oh my. This has rendered me totally speechless.

Heated Debates
Dec 16 2008
05:23:34 PM
dizzysmom Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Visit dizzysmom's Photo Album dizzysmom's Journal IN, USA 3882 Posts
It looks as if there is nothing on the website other than the Home page. This just makes me ill ...
Heated Debates
Dec 16 2008
05:34:29 PM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 16 2008
06:15:38 PM
yea i looked at it and thats all i found..
i was hopin to see hedgies..
but nope.
Heated Debates
Dec 16 2008
06:27:21 PM
THEHYLAND Zippy Glidershorts GliderMap Visit THEHYLAND's Photo Album FL, USA 4774 Posts
Heated Debates
Dec 17 2008
03:10:28 AM
I emailed him briefly:
it's fairly obvious to me that you do not care for the well-being of the animals. I will take my business elsewhere.

and this A--H--- had the audacity to respond with this:

Ooooh... one of those sorts are you? They are very well cared for missy. I think what you meant to say is that it is obvious to you that they are not cared for like little people. That is because they are not little people. They are animals who want nothing more in the world than to have a snug hole, a steady source of easy food and tons of babies. To every animal on the planet (except humans) success in life is measured by how many offspring you have. It has been that way for 3.5 billion years now. To think that they suddenly want to be kept alone with a bunch of hairless apes simply because you find them cute is just plain naive. They won't breed unless they are well cared for. They are not like dogs who breed whether they want to or not. Temperature, humidity and protein content all have to be above certain levels. By supporting the nutritional and environmental needs of my herd, I am allowing these gliders to succeed by their OWN standards, not by some quasi-human standards forced on them by some group of cutesy airheads that think animals have souls and rights. It is best that you do take your business elsewhere... but what you have isn't business... it a hobby. When you have helped several hundred gliders produce a couple of thousand healthy and strong joeys, THEN maybe you can say something like 'it's fairly obvious to me that you do not care for the well-being of the animals', but not yet...
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 17 2008
03:29:50 AM
SGold Super Glider GliderMap Visit SGold's Photo Album SGold's Journal USA 353 Posts
wow, just......wow
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 17 2008
03:39:27 AM
Ahsaehr Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Ahsaehr's Photo Album Ahsaehr's Journal USA 3478 Posts
Wow. I'm sure all the pregnant mothers angie and jamie gets they can tell you thats not true.

People who look at animals like that are the ones that turn into serial killers.
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 17 2008
05:52:15 AM
AngieH Face Hugger GliderMap Visit AngieH's Photo Album 934 Posts
Wow, its hard to hear people say that animals have no soul and shouldn't have any rights. This is how puppy mill breeders feel also, their animals are just a product.
I am so glad that I am just one of thoese cutesy airheads!

Edited by - AngieH on Dec 17 2008 06:24:37 AM
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 17 2008
05:59:18 AM
snusie Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit snusie's Photo Album snusie's Journal USA 2962 Posts
Yeah, rather than an arrogant rockhead like that *&^%(.
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 17 2008
06:44:21 AM
Anita Rae Glider GliderMap Visit Anita Rae's Photo Album USA 149 Posts
Well said AngieH, Me too.
Heated Debates
Dec 17 2008
07:20:32 AM
dizzysmom Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Visit dizzysmom's Photo Album dizzysmom's Journal IN, USA 3882 Posts
It's really disturbing to me when folks have no empathy whatsoever with animals. If they feel so little toward animals, then their treatment of their fellow homo sapiens can't be expected to be much better. Those are the people that I avoid like the plague.
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 17 2008
08:43:39 AM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
I'd rather be "cutesy" any day...
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 17 2008
08:48:10 AM
momasangel Glider GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit momasangel's Photo Album momasangel's Journal USA 89 Posts
Well, I guess he has "esp" with animals to know that their status is determined by the offspring they produce. humm, wonder where I can get me some of that "esp"......
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 17 2008
09:14:14 AM
i dont like to be called cutesy..
but i will be called it from now on i guess..
what an ass..
really that they dont have a soul and they all want to do it get it on and have babies all the time..
so hes lucky i dont email him right now....
OOOooo JERK
Heated Debates
Dec 17 2008
09:20:48 AM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
This is very disturbing...

And the thing that has me bothered is, why is he selling them? Does he have a new stash of colored gliders? Hence, more money?

Just sounds like there is something more to this story.
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 17 2008
07:08:15 PM
mansonhippie13 Glider Visit mansonhippie13's Photo Album USA 138 Posts
well im sure his story is just the tip of the iceberg! he is somebody that shouldnt care for and definatly should not breed animals! what a selfish pig!
Heated Debates
Dec 17 2008
09:38:24 PM
He apparently only started breeding mammals because he needed the extra money to purchase food for his birds. It's in my original post. Now since he is apparently successful at selling birds, he no longer needs the mammals.
Heated Debates
Dec 17 2008
11:13:18 PM
Zahra Super Glider GliderMap Visit Zahra's Photo Album USA 321 Posts
woooow, i really dont know what to say to that... he is def one of those people that wont listen to any advice and thinks they are smarter than everyone, but at least you tried!!
Heated Debates
Dec 18 2008
12:35:00 AM
Sigmar Glider Visit Sigmar's Photo Album 176 Posts
Obviously I'm seeing red right now
Heated Debates
Dec 18 2008
09:19:47 AM
Esthersmom Glider GliderMap Visit Esthersmom's Photo Album TX, USA 193 Posts
Count me in with the airheads! It is so hard to hear people like this.
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 18 2008
09:27:15 AM
Where does he post selling gliders? Maybe we should all post behind him with links to here!
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 18 2008
09:35:06 PM
diana99 Glider Visit diana99's Photo Album diana99's Journal NY, USA 75 Posts
i think animals have souls its even in the bible so screw him he is horrbile i mean what is he going to do with such a large number of animals give them to random ppl who will abandon them poor animals!
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 18 2008
09:46:10 PM
Jaclyn13 Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Jaclyn13's Photo Album Jaclyn13's Journal AZ, USA 1359 Posts
:(
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 18 2008
11:54:04 PM
Ahsaehr Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Ahsaehr's Photo Album Ahsaehr's Journal USA 3478 Posts
I remember when I was like 7 my cat died and I told my uncle I'd see her when i got to heaven and he told me animals didn't have souls. It was pretty devastating because he said i'd never see her again but I dont think animals have souls- but they do have feelings and should be treated appropriately.
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 19 2008
12:21:50 AM
Gizzynator Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Gizzynator's Photo Album TX, USA 691 Posts
wow.. if one of my brothers told my kid that i'd punch him straight in the head!!
Heated Debates
Dec 19 2008
08:13:06 AM
THEHYLAND Zippy Glidershorts GliderMap Visit THEHYLAND's Photo Album FL, USA 4774 Posts
All living things are Gods creation and one day we will see them again.
ALERT!!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
ALERT!!