Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Another Abscess Warning....
Health related
Feb 26 2010
05:52:37 PM
During headcounts this morning, we noticed Bunny (B colony - offspring of Buddy and Barbie) had an abrasion on her nose and some swelling around the nose and cheek. This is the second time swelling has occurred on her face in the past year. A two-week long course of antibiotics and a small incision cleared out an abscess last time.

Gail took her to see one of several vets we really favor in town who know a lot about sugar gliders. The vet who helped Padme with the wet/dry bandage treatment is who saw Bunny today (Carlos Varela, DVM).

Dr. Varela anesthetized Bunny for an exploratory procedure. He just called to say that Bunny is out from under anesthesia and is doing OK.

He had to drain an abscess in bunny's cheek and behind her nose, where he thinks she received a bite that got infected.

We'll be dosing her twice daily with oral antibiotics for a few weeks.

At this point we do not know if this is just a coincidence, or since this is the second abscess on her face within a year - if Bunny is getting into fights or being picked on. We will be keeping her in a hospital cage for a while and then keeping a close eye on her.

Anyway, if you see even a little bump or a crusty abrasion - no matter how small - we urge you to take your suggie to the vet. Abscesses are deadly if let alone to fester and they can grow to cover a large area.

Like Rita said in her recent post - check your gliders often for abnormalities. It's worth the extra time to do this in the morning and the evening with each glider.

Default, miscellaneous
Feb 26 2010
06:42:53 PM
Megs06 BANNED_ACCOUNT Gliderpedia Editor Visit Megs06's Photo Album USA 1 Posts
I'm so sorry. I hope she'll come through this just fine, and I have faith that she will.
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 26 2010
07:00:24 PM
LuckyGlider Zippy Glidershorts GliderMap Visit LuckyGlider's Photo Album LuckyGlider's Journal TX, USA 5266 Posts
many thanks. I'm sure she'll be OK. I'm just worried about *why* this is happening and I am praying it is not because she is being punked by the others. That would mean we'd have to cull her out and find another single for her...
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 15 2010
09:49:02 PM
mschuber Starting Member 2 Posts
I have been dealing with an abscess since 12/31. The abscess is under her chin she had it drained and given antibiotics 12/31. I noticed it swelling again 1/20 she had it drained again and given 2 antibiotics. I noticed it didn't look right 3/12 and brought her in, they thought it was scar tissue. Today there is a noticeable scab I gave her the antibiotics. We go to a well respected vet but, I am truly confused as to why she isn't healing. Can you please explain if you have gone thru this.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 15 2010
09:58:07 PM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
Poor thing. :( By "well respected" do you just mean people speak highly of them or do they actually have a lot of experience dealing with gliders? Have you considered getting a second opinion? Did it completely go away before it came back the second time?
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 15 2010
10:00:34 PM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
I'm sure Ed (Luckyglider) will respond when he does see this but for now, I would also recommend going here for help with this particular question. You'll probably get answers a little faster and they focus on dealing with medical issues with sugar gliders:

http://thesweetspot.forumotion.net/index.htm?sid=ca629db3ec990fdbb2733c458aa0eb9a
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 15 2010
11:22:27 PM
LuckyGlider Zippy Glidershorts GliderMap Visit LuckyGlider's Photo Album LuckyGlider's Journal TX, USA 5266 Posts
Sometimes a scab covers an area where there was an abscess and is just hiding the abscess. so unless the tissue growing over the area is "healthy" it can just be hiding the problem. Gail took Bunny in a few days back for a re-check and Dr. K peeled off the scab to reveal some pink, healthy skin underneath. It is healing now and the abcess is gone. She will probably be returned to her colony in about a week.

Sometimes the affected area has to be not just lanced but cut open and flushed out and necrotic flesh has to be taken away before it will heal properly. I am not a vet, but it's probably not a bad idea to get a second opinion. It is also possible the course of antibiotics she is on is not effective. Bunny is on Tribrissen which is a broad spectrum antibiotic that is a good general antibiotic. Your glider may need something more powerful.

Keep your chin up because with proper care, these abscesses can be remedied and it usually only takes a week or two for the swelling to go down. I know it is hard for both you and your suggie but you are her life line and there is really no choice. Please see another vet just in case.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 15 2010
11:24:59 PM
P.S. sometimes travel and rescue duties keep me away from the board, so if you need advice and we are not answering right away you can use email ed@luckyglider.org or you can call 702-228-8556
Health related
Mar 15 2010
11:31:46 PM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
Ed, I hate to hear this about Bunny. I have always enjoyed hearing about the "B" group - especially Bunny. What a little sweetie she is. With you and Gail taking care of her - and the wonderful vet she is seeing - she is going to be just fine.

Tosca's wound is pinkish now with no scabs - so we are on the road to recovery. She is now back in with Tilly, Weasel and Benji - and so far, so good. I check her often, tho just to make sure all is well.

Ed, thank you for your posts on these babies. Its how we all learn. And we never know when we will wake up one morning to find a similar bump or cyst on our babies. We will all have an idea what we need to do and not waste time searching.. Again, thanks to you and Gail for all you do for these little ones. They need someone to care about them, and you and Gail certainly do.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 16 2010
08:00:40 AM
Rita, I am thrilled to hear about Tosca's recovery. It's so great she is finally back with her clan! All the babies send hugs and kisses to yours!
Health related
Mar 16 2010
12:49:07 PM
JanaeAshley Super Glider Visit JanaeAshley's Photo Album USA 317 Posts
how long does it take for the fur to grow back over these wounds?
Meeko still has a little bald spot where the abscess was!
Health related
Mar 16 2010
08:45:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by JanaeAshley

how long does it take for the fur to grow back over these wounds?
Meeko still has a little bald spot where the abscess was!

That depends. If it heals well the fur grows back in about 6 weeks. But sometimes if scar tissue forms, fur won't grow on scar tissue. Talk to your vet about open wounds and hydrotherapy.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders