Sugar Gliders
overweight suggie?
Next |
Page: of 2
overweight suggie?
Health related
Jun 21 2010
11:42:26 AM
Hey i have a question idk if it is a silly one hope not, is it possible for a suggie to be overweight? I feel like mine are big idk....i see everyone elses and mine seem pretty big? I dont want them to be overweight and interfere with a healthy life.... please let me know what you think thank you
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 21 2010
11:48:09 AM
Brittney569 Super Glider Visit Brittney569's Photo Album USA 259 Posts
Yes they can be overweight. And I know what you mean. My boy Gremlin is a lil on the bigger side but hes not to bad where im worried about his weight. And my vet said that he is fine too. I would say if you are worried about him being overweight take them to your vet and ask and see what your vet says.
Health related
Jun 21 2010
11:55:50 AM
nadine18 Joey 31 Posts
maybe if i post a pic of him experienced glider parents can comment because I brought him to a vet and they said he is fine but he has like lil fat roles like man boobs :( idk how else to say it ever since i had him he hasnt been active doesnt really like to move, but idk ill post pics of them and see peoples opinions thanks for the respond Brittney569 sorry about MIA RIP hope your lil man grows strong.
Health related
Jun 21 2010
12:23:36 PM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
The "man boob" is a common thing for marsupials. It is fatty deposits. They could be eating less and exercising more. It is difficult to manage a cage of marsupials like that. Some will eat more than others. I have some fatties and some skinnies. Just keep in mind that being caged, they get perhaps 10% of the exercise and stimulation they would normally get in the wild. So a best case husbandry tries to make up for those things.

For you, this probably means feeding less, getting one or two more exercise wheels, letting them out of cage every night to explore, not to eat...

Health related
Jun 21 2010
02:02:38 PM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
My Benji and Tosca are both little chunky monkees. Tosca is active and loves to run in the wheel, but Benji's favorite activity is to sit on the nice, cushioned fleece hammock which is overlooking the wheels - and watch the girls run. Benji has moobies, too.
Health related
Jun 21 2010
05:46:21 PM
nadine18 Joey 31 Posts
Here is my big boy googglie bear what do you think?

Edited by - nadine18 on Jun 21 2010 06:14:14 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 21 2010
05:54:00 PM
Mollysmom Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Visit Mollysmom's Photo Album MI, USA 2011 Posts
Molly and her son, Tommy are both biggens! They both have beautiful, soft coats, and their coloring is gorgeous, but I do worry about them. The vet said that they are on the bigger side, but doesn't seem too concerned.

Default, miscellaneous
Jun 21 2010
07:10:25 PM
Raenstoirm Super Glider 369 Posts
The pic is a little small, but he does seem a bit on the large side. Can you make the image bigger?
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 22 2010
01:47:22 AM
Dahlia_2020 Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit Dahlia_2020's Photo Album SC, USA 1419 Posts
Yeah, its kind of hard to tell anything from the pic you posted. Some larger pics from different angles as well as closer to him would be helpful.
Health related
Jun 22 2010
01:59:29 PM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
In that picture - I dont think he looks large at all... Like the others said, maybe a picture of him from the side and from the top looking down?
Health related
Jun 22 2010
03:10:22 PM
nadine18 Joey 31 Posts

Edited by - nadine18 on Jun 22 2010 03:24:44 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 22 2010
05:41:13 PM
livelylauren5 Glider Visit livelylauren5's Photo Album FL, USA 149 Posts
i made it bigger for you i hope it works and i dont really know mine is skinnier but my other rescue i got yesterday is about the same size im trying to work on her weight.

Default, miscellaneous
Jun 22 2010
06:16:06 PM
joeymum Face Hugger Visit joeymum's Photo Album joeymum's Journal USA 454 Posts
Looks bigger than mine, but that doesn't mean anything cuz I'm new as well. I believe the weight is between 12-15 ounces is what we want? I'm probably wrong. I say a vet visit will help since they will be able to tell you his weight. There is no way I can weigh mine, they are quick little suckers :)
Health related
Jun 22 2010
07:05:19 PM
nadine18 Joey 31 Posts
thanks for helping ut and blowing the picture up, if he is overweight idk how to make him move around ever since i got him when he was like 8 weeks oop he was ot an active type he sits in the wheel and eats in i not really runs in it. I have 3 wheels in my cage one for every glider and i let them out at night
Health related
Jun 23 2010
09:21:05 PM
Gizmo-n-Roos Mommy Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit Gizmo-n-Roos Mommy's Photo Album OH, USA 1624 Posts
He does look a bit larger than he "should" be. Can you weigh them?

Mine used to be overweight because I was over-treating them out of guilt when I was really busy and didn't have time to play with them like I should. I cut back the treats for a bit and made sure that they got more running around time and now they are back down to "normal weight".

Edited to add:
Oops! I meant to ask: What all does their diet consist of? Regular meals and treats?

Edited by - Gizmo-n-Roos Mommy on Jun 23 2010 09:22:30 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 24 2010
08:36:58 AM
TINY LITTLE ANGELS Super Glider Visit TINY LITTLE ANGELS's Photo Album USA 318 Posts
My cookie is a tubby one she was that way when i got her and she has stayed that way she doesnt eat anymore than her cagemate though the vet says she's healthy even though shes a chunk!:)
Health related
Jun 24 2010
10:34:39 AM
nadine18 Joey 31 Posts
i dont have them on any diet like hpw or bml i prepare there foods nightly they get a protein veggeies and fruit i was tols that is the best way to feed them rather then the other diets because from what i was told there not getting a varity from the other diets. idk i have been feeding them like that since i got them one night will be turkey with peas and carrots with watermelon and the next night can be scrammbled eggs with green beans/lettuce and honey with kiwi and the next night can be nmonkey biscuits/ mealworms/ or crikets with zuccini and cantalope etc.. is that wrong for me two do i also put supplements in food everyother day
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 24 2010
11:55:53 AM
valkyriemome Goofy Gorillatoes Visit valkyriemome's Photo Album USA 3479 Posts
He doesn't look overweight to me. You can not really tell by just a picture, or even by looking at them.

The ONLY way to tell if your glider is overweight is to gently roll the gliding membrane between your fingers. It should be smooth - with no fatty lumps inside. The "man boobs" is a normal, and healthy way for them to store necessary fat. Storing fat in the membrane is NOT healthy. Gliders can be healthy in a huge range of weights, so you can't really go by that, either.
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 24 2010
12:48:24 PM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
Ahhh, it is so good to know that my man boobs are healthy!
Health related
Jun 24 2010
12:50:56 PM
nadine18 Joey 31 Posts
awww thats a relief yea there are not fatty lumps in the lining of membrane :) also what did you guys think as far as how i am feeding them?
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 25 2010
11:21:06 AM
valkyriemome Goofy Gorillatoes Visit valkyriemome's Photo Album USA 3479 Posts
Kazko - a relative of mine has gynocomastia. Look it up! Makes High School gym class HORRIBLE for a young man! Try explaining "breast reduction surgery" to a bunch of high school boys!

But - like cats have a "fat pad" between their back legs which is important for their good health - so do sugar gliders need to store fat in their chest area for optimal health. Resulting in "moobs." Male pattern balding and moobs seem to look better on gliders than on human men. Although - I know some human men who can rock the look either way!
Health related
Sep 13 2010
01:15:30 AM
JeremyLexie Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit JeremyLexie's Photo Album USA 1190 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by joeymum

Looks bigger than mine, but that doesn\'t mean anything cuz I\'m new as well. I believe the weight is between 12-15 ounces is what we want? I\'m probably wrong. I say a vet visit will help since they will be able to tell you his weight. There is no way I can weigh mine, they are quick little suckers :)

according to the net glider should weigh 90 to 160.... varies on different websites and different gliders.
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 13 2010
03:26:31 AM
Megs06 BANNED_ACCOUNT Gliderpedia Editor Visit Megs06's Photo Album USA 1 Posts
It also varies from glider to glider. Just like humans, gliders all have their own body build.
Health related
Sep 13 2010
09:55:50 AM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by JeremyLexie

quote:

Looks bigger than mine, but that doesn\'t mean anything cuz I\'m new as well. I believe the weight is between 12-15 ounces is what we want? I\'m probably wrong. I say a vet visit will help since they will be able to tell you his weight. There is no way I can weigh mine, they are quick little suckers :)

according to the net glider should weigh 90 to 160.... varies on different websites and different gliders.

Joeymum posted oz. You're talking about grams.
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 13 2010
10:58:39 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Well - I think Joeymum needs to check that weight again 12 to 15 ounces would be a MIGHTY BIG glider.

12 oz equals 3/4 pound = 340 gm
15 oz is almost a pound (16oz) = 425 gm

Those would be some hefty gliders.
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 13 2010
11:48:24 AM
Megs06 BANNED_ACCOUNT Gliderpedia Editor Visit Megs06's Photo Album USA 1 Posts
THAT'S a suggie I wanna cuddle with.
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 13 2010
12:11:53 PM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
wow, no facehugs, please. LOL
Health related
Sep 13 2010
05:04:54 PM
Binkys mom Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Binkys mom's Photo Album AL, USA 779 Posts
i weighed my guys last week on a gram scale

binky almost 1 1/2 : 124 grams
pixie almost 2 yrs : 137 grams
tink almost 3 yrs : 146 grams

trixie 4 mos : 48 grams
she's got some catching up to do.
all of them except trixie have goobies (glider-boobies)
binky:

pixie and tink:

Health related
Oct 07 2010
09:06:27 AM
kagey1 Starting Member Visit kagey1's Photo Album 5 Posts
I admit to over indulging Sissy and Beau with giant mealworms, lately. Every time I make a "kissing" sound, I give them a worm. Now, they actually come to me whenever I make that sound! It is very helpful on those occasions when they wander off under a sofa or bed. BUT -- the down side to this training is that they have become kind-of portly.
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 07 2010
09:55:53 AM
Use smaller mealworms? ;)
Health related
Oct 07 2010
10:24:02 AM
~SG~ Face Hugger Visit ~SG~'s Photo Album USA 590 Posts
quote:

There is no way I can weigh mine, they are quick little suckers :)

weigh the bonding pouch empty,
put suggie in,
close it up,
weigh pouch with suggie,
subtract one form the other,
that's how much your suggie weighs ;)

It's the way I can weigh mine
overweight suggie?
Next |
Page: of 2

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders