Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Wodent wheels-not right for all gliders
Information
Feb 26 2012
05:40:55 PM
so my girl Olivia started loosing hair on her tail and then hair started missing on her butt. I thought she was over grooming due to stress, NOPE. We then thought it was a parasite, NOPE, tests were negative. then we thought maybe i was changing her bedding to much, NOPE. I take one night a week to just observe my babies, and thats when i saw it. Olivia on her wodent wheel was jumping not running, it looked like the bar in the middle was hitting her back. she would stop then start again, over and over. I removed the wheel from her cage and got a stealth wheel. Her hair is now growing back. MY other cage has a wodent and no problems. FYI..if this is happening to your glider please do a vet check first before you replace the wheel.

<b>Before</b>

<b>After</b>-its still growing in but looks so good. and her attitude has changed too. she seems happy again, even started grooming me again.

Edited by - Charliebear on Feb 26 2012 05:46:00 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 26 2012
06:35:16 PM
Willows Tree Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Willows Tree's Photo Album USA 1294 Posts
Wow..I can see why You were concerned..Glad she is doing better..Good job solving the mystery..and GREAT job prioritising the way You handled the symptoms.
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 26 2012
06:46:52 PM
Charliebear Face Hugger Visit Charliebear's Photo Album 479 Posts
Thanks Willow, that's how we do it here. Vet first, if they are clear, then observation. Its amazing what you find out by taking one day to not play with them but just watch them. Wheel habits, cleaning habits, eating and toys. its amazing what you can find :-)
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 26 2012
06:50:19 PM
Magdals Face Hugger Visit Magdals's Photo Album 453 Posts
way to go figuring that out and taking the wheel out. I'm glad her fur is growing back :)
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 26 2012
06:52:55 PM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
The leaping is very common. I think this is a natural behavior as they would have it in the wild leaping around trees. A sugar glider running is more likely the odd behavior here but of course is common with caged critters as their only exercise outlet.

The Stealth wheel will solve your problem here. And you can easily insert a nail trimmer track for good measure.

Or homebrew something and see what you can create.

Heres an 18"

Information
Feb 26 2012
07:00:09 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kazko</i>
<br />The leaping is very common. I think this is a natural behavior as they would have it in the wild leaping around trees. A sugar glider running is more likely the odd behavior here but of course is common with caged critters as their only exercise outlet.

The Stealth wheel will solve your problem here. And you can easily insert a nail trimmer track for good measure.

Or homebrew something and see what you can create.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

it was watching your video that put two and two together for me!!!.and then i watched her run on the wodent. We have the trim tracks for her new wheel. Her new stealth wheel she jumps sooooo high she almost hits the top. Its amazing to see, she is so happy. i got my girl back and its amazing.
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 26 2012
07:02:24 PM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
Here's the 12" Stealth for anyone who hasnt seen one:

Default, miscellaneous
Feb 26 2012
07:23:15 PM
Cora1 Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Cora1's Photo Album TX, USA 935 Posts
My opinion is wodent wheels are not right for gliders period. Just for that reason, please even a guard can get sticky and tails get stuck and injured. There are so many other safe wheels out there so why take a chance by using a wodent??
Information
Feb 26 2012
07:25:28 PM
Cora1 Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Cora1's Photo Album TX, USA 935 Posts
I have one little thing to say about the middle bolt on the stealth as I have had missing fur on tails over the years and (recently) took the thing apart and found the fur wrapped around the bolt. I know Raptors and Custom Cruisers are safe wheels as far as the tails go.

Edited by - Cora1 on Feb 26 2012 07:26:43 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 26 2012
07:26:24 PM
now now my other gliders are fine right now with the wodent. i think its the gliders
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 21 2012
08:59:18 AM
Althalus Glider Visit Althalus's Photo Album Althalus's Journal 116 Posts
wodent wheel is cheap noisy garbage compared to stealth. I own both in 14" and its clear as day which is best.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 21 2012
09:24:16 AM
1mtx1 Glider NY, USA 57 Posts
we got a wodent with the sandpaper in sert but we took it back. then we got a silent wheel and we took it back some one told us its no good.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 21 2012
09:45:34 AM
fazioli Face Hugger Visit fazioli's Photo Album 906 Posts
I have had my 2 Wodent wheels for well over a year now with no problems. I do observe my gliders all the time, and have had no issues. I haven't seen mine jump in the Wodent, and now that I replaced one wheel with the Raptor, Squiggy is having a little bit of a hard time figuring out how to get the wheel to going fast. I can't wait to see him work it out, because he will have a blast in it. I have worried about the Wodent wheels before, but in my experience, have never had any problems with them. Thanks so much for posting this!
Information
Mar 21 2012
10:22:28 AM
RChurch Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit RChurch's Photo Album RChurch's Journal USA 1377 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cora1</i>
<br />I have one little thing to say about the middle bolt on the stealth as I have had missing fur on tails over the years and (recently) took the thing apart and found the fur wrapped around the bolt. I know Raptors and Custom Cruisers are safe wheels as far as the tails go.

Please post links to Raptors and Custom Cruisers?
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 21 2012
10:52:35 AM
clk666 Glider GliderMap 73 Posts
ive not once seen my gliders jumping, they will run... for a bit .. but tehy woudl rather play. i dont know.. maybe its my gliders lol
Information
Mar 21 2012
11:40:15 AM
RChurch Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit RChurch's Photo Album RChurch's Journal USA 1377 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RChurch</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cora1</i>
<br />I have one little thing to say about the middle bolt on the stealth as I have had missing fur on tails over the years and (recently) took the thing apart and found the fur wrapped around the bolt. I know Raptors and Custom Cruisers are safe wheels as far as the tails go.

Please post links to Raptors and Custom Cruisers?

Nevermind...I found it on my own & as for Custom Cruisers...I can't in good conscience do business w/someone doing business w/PP.
Information
Mar 21 2012
12:31:50 PM
Kozi Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit Kozi's Photo Album Kozi's Journal WI, USA 1278 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Charliebear</i>
<br />now now my other gliders are fine right now with the wodent. i think its the gliders

I have more than one cage of gliders and ALL of mine jump. I don't think you can really compare until you've given them one of the other wheels, a stealth, CC, raptor, etc, to try over a wodent. They WILL jump and leap as soon as they learn how. That's how they naturally run, more of a hopping/leaping from branch to branch and so on.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 21 2012
12:48:37 PM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
I have 4 wheels in my cages of 5 gliders. Two Wodents (which I've had for probably 4 years), a Stealth (which I've probably had about 2 years) and a newer Raptor Wheel. All stay in there at all times. Mine still prefer the Wodents for whatever reason. I always thought if I put the others in and they quit using the Wodents, I'd just remove them. Occasionally, I'll see one in the Stealth or Raptor, but they're usually just eating something and not running. I can't explain it.

I don't have much of an issue keeping the Wodents clean either. I know that's a lot of people's biggest complaint. My gliders have never really used their pouches or wheels for a bathroom, luckily.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 21 2012
01:03:45 PM
newby Face Hugger Visit newby's Photo Album 527 Posts
When I had wodent wheels besides the obvious (cleaning and smell), I noticed that some of my gliders had a suspicious overgrooming above their eys (not like your normal overgrooming) and I sat and watched them with their wheel. It turned out that they were rubbing their head on the rim of the wodent as they were getting in and out of it.

I also had a stealth (still do 6 years later) that is going strong still and I have recently gotten a Raptor wheel and a Fast Track wheel. But my wheel of choice is the Custom Cruiser. I am what you call a wheel hog and love getting a new wheel from another vendor to try them out. But everybody has a CC wheel in their cage and each cage has a spare CC just in case, even though I know I will never need them.

RChurch....please don't believe everything you hear or read dear. There are many haters that will say anything to get others to also dislike that person. I never make my mind up on a person by what I hear or read or what someone has told me. I have to see it for my own eyes and get to know them myself before I can decide for myself if I like them or not. Just a piece of friendly advice.
Information
Mar 21 2012
04:00:32 PM
Omis n Kais g-ma Pouch Protector Visit Omis n Kais g-ma's Photo Album TX, USA 7524 Posts
I have to agree with Sherri, CC are great wheels. I love watching our boys jumping in theirs.
Information
Mar 21 2012
07:53:17 PM
Well IS there a way we can confirm either way if Bourbon, the maker of Custom Cruisers, is or is not in kahoots w/PP? The wheel look amazing but like I said, I can't do business w/someone who does business w/PP.

(I don't buy makeup tested on animals, either. It's just one off those things I feel I have to do.)

If it's untrue, that's a heck of an accusation to make!
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 21 2012
10:25:26 PM
Kelly Thompson banned by Eric GliderMap Visit Kelly Thompson's Photo Album NC, USA 417 Posts
Since getting two stealths, I've found that one of the boys LOVES it he is a wheelaholic and was with the wodent as well but even more so now. However I've noticed my other two boys run less then they did when they had wodent wheels in their cage, i believe i will probably put a wodent back into their cage to see if they run on it more. Its odd...
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 21 2012
10:58:32 PM
1mtx1 Glider NY, USA 57 Posts
where gona get a stealth do they have where you can put in the sand paper insert? can some one offer a link or to for a wheel? where looking for a good site that ships fast and will get it to us
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 22 2012
12:13:30 AM
newby Face Hugger Visit newby's Photo Album 527 Posts
I know for a fact that Bourbon is NOT in cahoots with Virgil. Yes she has and does talk to him on occasion, but that is because she would love to see changes made in how PPP does things.

Has she gotten cages from him for some rescues that she has gotten in? Yes she has gotten maybe 10 (give or take over the last 2 years) of his temp cages, but that is the extent of what she has ever gotten from him. She does not sell any of his stuff, she does not push any of his products, she does not agree with everything they do, she does not support him but will help any of his customers that he has sold too in her area.

People have tried for many years to shut them down with no success, so there are some that have opened up communication with him to see if they can help him at least make some changes with how they do things to make lives better for the gliders that they do sell. There is no sleeping with the enemy, there is no one in someones back pocket and no one has their hand in the cookie jar OR profitting off of pocket pets.

I have been to Bourbons house a million times over the last 6 years and been to many gatherings with her. I am not sticking up for my friend, and everyone that knows me knows that I will speak the truth wether its good or bad.

Bourbon is about the gliders themselves, not where they came from or what she can get out of it. She does not judge the gliders OR the owners because of where they came from.

She created the Custom Cruiser wheel so that every owner has an option of a safe and fun wheel. At the time that she designed her first Cruiser, there weren't a whole lot of choices for a wheel for our babies.

I honestly do get tired of all the lies that there are out there about people that most people have never met. They just take another person words about someone as fact with out getting to know them personally first.

Anyone that has ever met Bourbon and knows her will agree that her life is only about the gliders and their owners and is available to talk to about anything and will offer help with whatever a glider owner needs. She is available 24/7 and her phone number is in her signature on GC for anyone that may want to talk to her personally.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders