Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Male parts hanging out
Male parts hanging out
Health related
Apr 12 2012
07:17:49 PM
Ok I got a quick question... My male is almost 19 weeks and I've noticed his genitals hanging out all the time? I don't know if he is showin off or they won't go back in? Need help on what I should do? What do I put on it to keep it from getting dry? Please let me know, I will post A pic
Health related
Apr 12 2012
07:27:12 PM
H.peninger3 Super Glider Visit H.peninger3's Photo Album H.peninger3's Journal AR, USA 357 Posts

Default, miscellaneous
Apr 12 2012
07:32:00 PM
suppressedtearz Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit suppressedtearz's Photo Album USA 1066 Posts
If his male parts are not going in, I recommend putting some KY on them to keep them moist. If that doesn't help him retract it he definitely needs to go to the vet.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 12 2012
07:35:53 PM
TONYA1W1 Super Glider Visit TONYA1W1's Photo Album TONYA1W1's Journal USA 216 Posts
it look real red i would take him in to the vet if the ky jelly dont work
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 12 2012
07:45:19 PM
baby.girl Face Hugger Visit baby.girl's Photo Album USA 544 Posts
if its stays out all the time i would do a vet check up to be on the safe side but again this could mean that he is becoming a men in reaching the right age to mate cause mine kinda did the same thing in he all the time cleaned them alot to. But still a check up couldnt hurt in also use ky in you rather be safe then sorry
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 12 2012
07:48:37 PM
ToughCheeseSmallPaws Face Hugger Visit ToughCheeseSmallPaws's Photo Album USA 579 Posts
Yep, lube that up. When Glock was smaller, he just let his junk hang out all the time when he slept, but when he woke up he would retract them and go about his business and do his thing... (sleeping naked perhaps?) I was really concerned about him and had to lube him a few times to get him to retract it. I would keep an eye on it and take him to a vet if he doesn't retract it like he should.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 12 2012
07:57:08 PM
H.peninger3 Super Glider Visit H.peninger3's Photo Album H.peninger3's Journal AR, USA 357 Posts
He does retract it so it seems lol last night he was hangin on the cage with it hangin all out and a little while later it was back up in him. I have been working all day today so when I got home I went to play with him and it was back out... I only had him out for about 30 min but it was out the whole time. I'm running to the store in a minute and grab some ky. Is there a specific kind like oil or jelly that I need to get? Sorry don't ever buy that bahahaha TMI
Health related
Apr 12 2012
08:04:54 PM
BlackDrappa Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BlackDrappa's Photo Album BlackDrappa's Journal NY, USA 1876 Posts
Take him to a vet!!! I went thru the same thing. I tried KY and waited and his parts became necrotic and had to be amputated :(. It ended up costing me $800!!!

But for now, KY to moisten it. Perpetration H for swelling, but only if he is in an E-Collar. Orajel for the pain ( in an E-collar). Get the standard KY, no scents or anything fancy.

Edited by - BlackDrappa on Apr 12 2012 08:07:28 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 12 2012
08:23:47 PM
marissa1987 Joey Visit marissa1987's Photo Album marissa1987's Journal 27 Posts
Male Sugar Gliders have what’s called a “bifurcated” genitalia; which basically means it has two separate “prongs” similar to the tongue of some reptiles. This helps the male fertilize both ovaries in the female – allowing it to produce twin offspring.

As young male Sugar Gliders begin to enter puberty (starting at anywhere from 8-12 months old), their genitalia can periodically “stick out” for periods lasting anywhere from a few minutes – to a few days – at a time. This is completely normal, and nothing to be worried about. Eventually, it will go back in on its own.

Neutering the animal will usually eliminate this issue. Although it can be done at any time, if considering neutering, the best time to do it is before the male reaches full sexual maturity.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 12 2012
08:39:04 PM
BlackDrappa Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BlackDrappa's Photo Album BlackDrappa's Journal NY, USA 1876 Posts
You can quote all you want, but I'm saying from experience...that looks SUPER irritated! No offense, worried about the glider.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 12 2012
08:52:42 PM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
I also had this issue with one of mine and he was well over a year old...and had fathered joeys twice, so it's not just a "younger" glider thing. No, sticking out for a few DAYS at a time is NOT normal. If he's periodically retracting it over a few days, that's one thing. If he never is, that's when to get concerned. I honestly think the color in that photo looks very normal though. My boys look just like that. Definitely just keep an eye on it and watch for him not being able to retract. If you see it changing color at all, vet.

Also, if anyone is quoting, please post the resource or link.
Health related
Apr 12 2012
09:14:05 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by kyro298</i>
<br />I also had this issue with one of mine and he was well over a year old...and had fathered joeys twice, so it's not just a "younger" glider thing. No, sticking out for a few DAYS at a time is NOT normal. If he's periodically retracting it over a few days, that's one thing. If he never is, that's when to get concerned. I honestly think the color in that photo looks very normal though. My boys look just like that. Definitely just keep an eye on it and watch for him not being able to retract. If you see it changing color at all, vet.

Also, if anyone is quoting, please post the resource or link.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Thanks kyro, he genitals do go back in from what I've noticed it just takes forever. They were out for a long time yesterday and then after I did tent time they(genitals) went back in. I don't know how long his genitals have been out tonight though because I haven't been home but for less than an hour. Fixin to check on him now and if it is still out im going to put a little ky. It didn't seem to look dry earlier and looks like what is "normal for him" color but I have heard stories about people who's males had problems from genitals not going back in and I didn't know if this was just a stage of puberty he is going through or if it the beginning of something worse. This is my first and only male so I've never gone through puberty only researched it.

Edited by - H.peninger3 on Apr 12 2012 09:17:43 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 12 2012
09:16:35 PM
LisaW Glider Visit LisaW's Photo Album 86 Posts
My boys manhood is the same color, he also lets it hang out while sleeping, grooming and very very occasionally Ive seen it while hes hanging from the side of his cage. It always retracts though. Hes 3 1/2 months I do believe this is all just part of puberty
Health related
Apr 12 2012
09:21:32 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by LisaW</i>
<br />My boys manhood is the same color, he also lets it hang out while sleeping, grooming and very very occasionally Ive seen it while hes hanging from the side of his cage. It always retracts though. Hes 3 1/2 months I do believe this is all just part of puberty

Thanks, thats what I was thinking but I wanted to check to just make sure. He is 19 weeks sooo that's almost 5 months. He just started doing it this week. And started going bald about 2-3 weeks ago still only a tiny bald spot though. I just am a worried momma and want to make sure this is normal. I do know that if they don't retract he is straight to vet though! But it seems to be ok for now
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 12 2012
09:32:08 PM
ok so his genitals are back in and he seems to be fine! i guess he is going through a phase.. well i hope! i hope he doesn't do this for long it makes me nervous!!! lol he is NOT happy with me right now as he doesnt like me exposing him lol
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 12 2012
09:32:47 PM
marissa1987 Joey Visit marissa1987's Photo Album marissa1987's Journal 27 Posts
i think its him going through puberty but really if your concerned call the vet ask the vet what they think.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 12 2012
09:33:12 PM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
I'm sure he's just being a guy. LOL
Health related
Apr 12 2012
09:43:25 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ToughCheeseSmallPaws</i>
<br />Yep, lube that up. When Glock was smaller, he just let his junk hang out all the time when he slept, but when he woke up he would retract them and go about his business and do his thing... (sleeping naked perhaps?) I was really concerned about him and had to lube him a few times to get him to retract it. I would keep an eye on it and take him to a vet if he doesn't retract it like he should.
haha i couldnt help but laugh when you started this
Thanks! i have been watching him like a hawk since i got home a little while ago. so far his "man hood" is back in and nothing down there looks swollen or irritated so maybe this is just part of his puberty stage hopefully it doesnt get where he cant retract if so my vet is on stand by just in case (ive already called him)
Health related
Apr 12 2012
09:47:52 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by kyro298</i>
<br />I'm sure he's just being a guy. LOL

haha what is it with Young boys and their jewels? well i did try to call the vet and of course no answer,they closed at 8,but if he gets where it wont retract he will be going in!
Health related
Apr 13 2012
08:11:23 AM
I need a new phone My blackberry made that look redder than it was. Sorry about that! And not trying to be harsh if it seems that way. I just know what I went through with my Maverick and it was HELL! I had to apply stuff to his manparts a few times a day, he would constantly get his E-Jacket off and he bit up my hands trying to get it back on, he was on medication gallore....not to mention the crazy bills. UGH! Here he is:

But your baby is young. He probaby IS exploring I would just have the things I mentioned on hand for the future. You never know..I didn't! Now I have a fully stocked emergency kit! Good luck!

Edited by - BlackDrappa on Apr 13 2012 08:14:37 AM
Health related
Apr 13 2012
10:31:20 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BlackDrappa</i>
<br />I need a new phone My blackberry made that look redder than it was. Sorry about that! And not trying to be harsh if it seems that way. I just know what I went through with my Maverick and it was HELL! I had to apply stuff to his manparts a few times a day, he would constantly get his E-Jacket off and he bit up my hands trying to get it back on, he was on medication gallore....not to mention the crazy bills. UGH! Here he is:

But your baby is young. He probaby IS exploring I would just have the things I mentioned on hand for the future. You never know..I didn't! Now I have a fully stocked emergency kit! Good luck!
Thanks! And no I know you weren't being harsh lol I want the honest truth from people!
Health related
Apr 13 2012
10:40:33 AM
JazzNZoeysmom Zippy Glidershorts GliderMap Visit JazzNZoeysmom's Photo Album USA 5354 Posts
I didn't read thru every single post so I apologize if this was already mentioned but I think the scary thing too is if they are climbing around the cage with their "junk" hanging out they can get it caught on something and that's gonna be a whole different set of issues and, OMG....OUCH!

But yes, Tiffany went thru this first hand a few months ago so she definately knows what she's talking about.

I sure hope he starts tucking it in and leaving it there!
Why do they feel the need to worry us so?
Male parts hanging out

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Male parts hanging out