Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Overweight?
Overweight?
Health related
Apr 20 2016
12:38:55 AM

I can't tell if my ricochet is becoming overweight or if it's just his scent glands??
I feed them the pet glider diet with the vitamins.
For a snack they either get fresh fruit, yogurt drops, or cheerios..
I give them about 5-10 cheerios, maybe it's to many, but I thought they wouldn't eat it unless they were hungry?

He is 9 months old (standard) and he has a baby brother rufio 5 months (mosaic, leucistic and some others) so they are completely different gliders you can't really compare and the age difference rufio is so much smaller.

Just wanted to get some advice or opinions! Thanks
Health related
Apr 20 2016
12:40:44 AM
brennapowe Joey Visit brennapowe's Photo Album 41 Posts
Health related
Apr 20 2016
12:47:27 AM

Health related
Apr 20 2016
07:38:12 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
what do they weigh? they don't appear to be overweight to me
Health related
Apr 20 2016
07:44:44 AM
warmanj Glider Visit warmanj's Photo Album 67 Posts
He doesn't appear overweight to me either
Health related
Apr 20 2016
08:58:29 AM
kiwi3435 Face Hugger Visit kiwi3435's Photo Album kiwi3435's Journal FL, USA 687 Posts
they look perfectly fine:)

some gliders just have different body structures than other and may appear larger. if you are really concerned, the start tracking his weight daily. weigh him at the same time everyday.

oh and let me just say, your mosaic is beautiful! love his head marking!

Edited by - kiwi3435 on Apr 20 2016 08:59:01 AM
Health related
Apr 20 2016
01:46:44 PM
slyo Super Glider Visit slyo's Photo Album USA 331 Posts
He doesn't look overweight, but his chest does look sort of unusually large. It looks similar to when my vet injected fluids into my glider sometime before or after his surgery.
Health related
Apr 20 2016
05:56:23 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
for about $20 bucks you can get a nice scale that will measure low grams.
our gliders wieght from 75 grams to 110 grams. its a cheap way to check wieght. We also use the scale to weight out fruits and veggies for the salad mix so we stay close to the right portions.
Health related
Apr 20 2016
09:32:54 PM

I'm not sure why the photos keep uploading sideways but they are such sweet babies we love them so much!!

I had a scale and he weights 114g and he doesn't look overweight except his boobies are a little droopy lol, it's not causing him any problems just somthing I've noticed.

Do I need to get his weight down? If so how do I do that?
Health related
Apr 20 2016
09:37:28 PM
kiwi3435 Face Hugger Visit kiwi3435's Photo Album kiwi3435's Journal FL, USA 687 Posts
start lowing the number of Cheerios you give him. for foraging around the cage, instead of using treats to hide, use some of their fruits and veggies from their dinner. does he have a wheel? start hanging some vertical braided fleece that he will have to jump to in order to climb up it.

I've seen gliders weigh as much as 140 g. so I think he is fine;)
Health related
Apr 21 2016
08:41:40 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
the chest is NOT a good indication of a glider being over weight. The chest is actually the healthiest place for gliders to store extra fat in preparation for torpor which can happen during the winter.

114 grams is within "normal" weight range, I wouldn't worry to much or change to much for that matter. He will probably gradually lose the extra as the weather gets warmer and his body doesn't need the extra energy source for torpor.

I've got 3 gliders that weigh over 140 grams and only one is overweight. My 2 neutered males are around 165 ish and not over weight at all for their bodies. Gliders size and weight are as varied as humans.

Edited by - Leela on Apr 21 2016 08:43:59 AM
Overweight?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Overweight?