Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
SUGAR GLIDER NAIL TRIMMER WHEEL
Food, Diet
Apr 02 2017
10:54:51 AM
Batman, my sugar glider, has started to crawl on me and his nails are really sharp... what is your opinion and/or personal experience with the nail trimmer wheel that SunCoast Sugar Glider sells or any other company? Is it safe? Does it work? Is it worth it? Any stories? Thanks!!
Food, Diet
Apr 02 2017
01:49:24 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
I, personally, don't find the nail trimmer in the wheel is very useful. Also, the sandpaper gets nasty very fast.
Food, Diet
Apr 02 2017
02:05:44 PM
bp27 Joey 12 Posts
Any suggestions on what I should do with my gliders nails then?
Food, Diet
Apr 02 2017
02:18:47 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
yep, trim them manually. It will take time and patience and you will absolutely need to have confidence. Start with one or two at a time, pause take a break then do a couple more until you can do them all.

I agree with Jdching the trim wheels are not enough to maintain gliders nails.

Edited by - Leela on Apr 02 2017 02:19:57 PM
Food, Diet
Apr 02 2017
04:34:30 PM
bp27 Joey 12 Posts
Trim them with nail clippers?
Food, Diet
Apr 03 2017
02:57:04 AM
Effsan Glider Visit Effsan's Photo Album 64 Posts
Hello there =)

I did my 2 gliders for the first time 2 days ago. I've had them for about 6 weeks.

I bought a cuticle nail clipper as suggested by some of the members in older threads. A week prior to the "nail-cutting day", I offer them treats while they're in the pouch, pulls out a limb randomly and massages their lil hands. They normally allow that a few secs before pulling back. I'm not sure if that absolutely make a difference, on the actual nail-cutting day, they struggle, but not so much.

I wrap them firm in the pouch while holding and trimming one limb. I watched a video where the girl suggest to keep their sight out (that's why I wrap them in the pouch) because they'll be more scared if they see what I'm doing. I think that make sense because it's applicable to myself when I need to take an injection. I prefer to look away

So yea, no more marks from face hug! All the best to you
Food, Diet
Apr 03 2017
06:18:28 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by bp27

Trim them with nail clippers?

I found that nail trimming in wheels is slightly helpful. You really need to be willing to change out emery cloth(I think that is what it is) about every 3-4 weeks. this made it so we had to cut the nails every 5 weeks.

with out nail trimming paper cut nails manually every 3-4 weeks.
with nail trimming paper in wheels cut manually every 5-6 weeks.

We got a curved style nail trimmer this helps with making sure we only cut the nail.
Food, Diet
Apr 25 2017
11:13:45 PM
CaraM Starting Member 3 Posts
I actually bought one about a month ago after getting my sugar glider and it has worked great. His nails were filed down within a week of having the wheel in the cage. I would say it is definitely worth it! Especially if you are going to purchase a wheel anyways.
Food, Diet
May 01 2017
03:28:53 AM
drum Starting Member 8 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by CaraM

I actually bought one about a month ago after getting my sugar glider and it has worked great. His nails were filed down within a week of having the wheel in the cage. I would say it is definitely worth it! Especially if you are going to purchase a wheel anyways.

I thought I read you're supposed to only put the nail trimmer track in the wheel only once a week. Do you just leave it in the wheel?
Food, Diet
May 03 2017
12:25:46 PM
Emris Joey 31 Posts
Personally I wouldn't use a nail trimmer wheel for a few reasons.

A wheel with a nail trimmer insert won't have holes in the track, and because of this and the fact that gliders pee and poop while they run it will get nasty fast.

Nail trimming tracks really don't seem to make to much of a difference, my girl had a wheel with a trimmer insert and I never noticed any difference.

If you leave the trimming insert all the time it can actually cause some discomfort for the glider as it'll rub down the skin on their feet.

Wheel wise I've got a steal wheel and it's wonderful and extremely well made.

When it comes to nail trimming I'd suggest to slowly acclimate your gliders to you touching their feet, then introduce them to clippers, only doing a nail or two at a time. Over time they'll get used to it, especially if you offer special treats only during nail clipping time.
Food, Diet
May 12 2017
11:07:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by drum

quote:

I thought I read you're supposed to only put the nail trimmer track in the wheel only once a week. Do you just leave it in the wheel?

Food, Diet
May 12 2017
11:10:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by drum

quote:

I actually do just leave it in the wheel. It hasn't affected my sugar gliders feet and the track isn't as rough as people are thinking. It's not like sandpaper, and it takes awhile before the nails are filled down. My sugar glider loves it and uses it VERY often. And it hasn't gotten very dirty. I wipe it down every two weeks.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders