Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Healthy diet?
Healthy diet?
Food, Diet
May 09 2019
10:10:05 AM
So, I'm planning on getting a pair of female sugar gliders in a few months from now and am wondering what is a good diet. I've done a lot of research about a good diet and I just wanted some feedback.

I was thinking about BML, but I have some questions. I've been looking elsewhere and it says to rarely feed your sugar gliders honey, yogurt, and apples/applesauce but the BML diet contains all of those?

I was also wondering if it would be healthy to have like some honey or some treat like once every few weeks that would test their knowledge of trying to get into a box to get those treats?
Food, Diet
May 09 2019
11:11:30 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I feed the OHPW diet. It contains honey and apples. our gliders are
healthy but some are over weight. critter love is the same, made in USA,
and they have an instant and breeders blend available.
In the 5 plus years we have had up to 15 gliders we have only had one die, we
got her as a rehome and did not know her age, but she did not jump and moved
much slower then the other gliders, so we think she was older.

I hear BML is also a very good diet and I think you can get most of the
products locally without ordering through the mail.

Edited by - BYK_Chainsaw on May 09 2019 11:13:35 AM
Food, Diet
May 09 2019
12:53:06 PM
Ambrosia1234 Starting Member 2 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by BYK_Chainsaw

I feed the OHPW diet. It contains honey and apples. our gliders are
healthy but some are over weight. critter love is the same, made in USA,
and they have an instant and breeders blend available.
In the 5 plus years we have had up to 15 gliders we have only had one die, we
got her as a rehome and did not know her age, but she did not jump and moved
much slower then the other gliders, so we think she was older.

I hear BML is also a very good diet and I think you can get most of the
products locally without ordering through the mail.

Indeed, I'm able to get all of the ingredients to make it.

But my question is, isn't honey, apple/applesauce, and yogurt not good for sugar gliders?
Food, Diet
May 09 2019
05:09:46 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I have read a bit about gliders. I have NEVER heard that those are
bad for gliders.

Apples are NOT bad for gliders. they are in the base ingredient of
critterlove and OHPW diet and AWD diet and is listed under the ok food for gliders.
www.sugar-gliders.com/glidervet-60.htm
apple ok, bad is grapes, avocado, lettuce, corn each for different reasons.
www.sugarglider.info/diet/safe-foods/
apples ok once per week.
VGV diet lists - 1/4 cup organic apple sauce as an ingredient.

Applesauce could be bad, the question is SUGAR and additives. Gliders can get
fat easy, they don't need extra sugar.
We feed the gliders dried papaya bits from the pet store, with NOTHING
added. the VET told us to be careful, papaya has lots of natural sugar and
that can cause weight gain.

Yogurt/yogurt drops are the same, we feed as occasional treat but is LOTS of sugar.

HONEY is the base of OHPW, is added the same to critterlove. so our gliders
get honey EVERY DAY as the staple. also I have read some get honey sticks and
let the glider lick it off their finger as a treat.
STORE HONEY IS PASTEURIZED SO IT IS PURE SUGAR.
I buy unpasteurized, pure RAW honey that has lots of healthy properties.
www.simplybeeutiful.com/honey-honey-bees

www.critterlove.com/why-is-raw-honey-better
Food, Diet
May 10 2019
08:10:25 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
"I've been looking elsewhere and it says to rarely feed your sugar gliders honey, yogurt, and apples/applesauce but the BML diet contains all of those? "

I'm not sure where you are finding your information or how long ago it was written but most of the widely used and well known glider diets use at least one if not all of those ingredients in the recipe.

There is one the highland diet that doesn't use honey in the diet or even as treats but it does use applesauce and yogurt. I don't believe this diet is a popular or widely used diet.

"But my question is, isn't honey, apple/applesauce, and yogurt not good for sugar gliders?"

Really the answer depends on who you ask. Everyone has opinions on glider diets but they are just that, opinions.

Scientifically we really don't know what gliders dietary needs actually are. The diets we use now we believe are balanced and provide essentials we think they need to thrive.

Shelly Sterk is actively trying to find what gliders dietary needs really are through scientific testing. But it could take years to find any conclusive answers from the testing. You can read more about the diet study and the studies goals on her website http://www.sugargliderfoundation.org/testing.html Shelly has fed her personal gliders Bml for years and is the poster child for following the diet to the letter.

There are 2 diets I personally recommend 1 bml snd 2 critter love.

BML is affordable, easy to follow the recipe and easy to make, it's consistent, and you can find the ingredients locally.

Critter love is affordable for a certain amount of gliders, easy to follow recipe and also consistent however it requires more freezer space and preperation time and can feel overwhelming when first starting this diet.

Both diets have been lab tested and both have been widely used for a long period of time.

when chosing a diet consider the cost and can you afford to consistently feed the diet, ordering online vs buying locally, preperation time, storage space it takes for the diet and finally.....

It all boils down to what the gliders will eat the best. You may decide on one diet because of all those reasons but your gliders may not eat it ,if they don't eat it, it does them no good.

If the gliders are currently being fed a well known widely used diet you might consider keeping them on that if they are eating it well....
Food, Diet
May 10 2019
08:35:25 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
"Really the answer depends on who you ask. Everyone has opinions on glider diets but they are just that, opinions. " I should have added With the exception of KNOWN toxic foods and honey applesauce and yogurt are not toxic foods.

what KIND ofHoney will depend on what diet you follow. Ex Bml uses filtered honey, critter love uses raw honey. Each have different vit and minerals etc... needed or not needed for that specific diet.

Yogurt you want to use a yogurt with no artificial sweeteners, no low fat or 0 fat yogurts unless the diet specifies that.

Applesauce just plain applesauce unless the diet allows for flavored applesauce

Edited by - Leela on May 10 2019 08:45:41 AM
Healthy diet?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Healthy diet?