GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Confused about possible diet
Question
Mar 10 2020
07:08:32 AM
Hi!

I want to state clearly from the beginning that I do not (yet) own sugar gliders. I am considering getting them, though, but I want to be sure I'm doing the right thing rather than impulsively giving in to their cuteness.

So, loads of fruits and veggies. And don't forget to make sure they get enough calcium. I got that. Now, there's 2 topics I keep reading contradictory things about.

First of all; mealworms. One website says they're an absolute must in a sugar glider's daily diet and the next website says it can only be given as a snack or bonding treat because they contain too much fat. Do or don't?

Secondly, pellets. I get that they shouldn't ever be the main component of a sugar glider's diet. I wouldn't be happy or healthy eating only pellets for the rest of my life either. But as an addition to a healthy diet or as an extra snack, can pellets be given? And if so, what kind of pellets would be best? Cat, dog, ferret,... I even read about people giving them bird foods (though that seems to be a little far-fetched to me)?

Any other tips are of course also welcome! While awaiting your replies, I think it's time to start browsing recipes...

Nirah
Question
Mar 10 2020
10:22:10 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts

So, loads of fruits and veggies.

You need a stable with this, some use BML, I use OHPW, or a USA made version
is critterlove.com.

MEALWORMS I will just tell you what I do.
6 gliders about 4 years old, maybe older. 3 males normal weight.
3 females, one chubby, one overweight and one obese.
I have dried and get live mealworms, petsmart. I feed some usually about
every other night during night after they have eaten some dinner.
dinner 8 pm mealworm anywhere from 11pm to 2am.
sometimes they get yogurt drops instead. but they are high in sugar.

PELLETS again, I will just tell you what I do.
I buy pellets made just for glider, same as sold by pocket pets and
critterlove.com, but get them from original manufacture.
www.pet-pro.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2
happy glider pellets.

I FREEZE unused bag, then have a metal feeding tin attached to cage, I put
fresh pellets in every 3 days to a week. leave them in cage all day and night.
usually about 50% get eaten.
Question
Mar 19 2020
09:20:03 AM
BatGirl Glider Visit BatGirl's Photo Album BatGirl's Journal USA 50 Posts
Mealworms will make your Sugar Glider fat and unhealthy - if given, do so only as a treat once a week... better treat is the cooked grasshoppers from Exotic Nutrition (EN) but again only once, maybe twice, a week. Daily treats should be romaine lettuce, blueberries, scrambled eggs, etc. and ONLY just before the go to sleep in the early morning - never put out treats early at night... same with the insects, only give then one when they're turning in for the day! Otherwise they'll wait for threat and not eat their basic diet...

Basic diet - I experimented a lot, tried a bowl of EN's Complete pellets and one of EN's instant HPW - noticed the suggies would go to one food and leave the other alone, then as I would spice up one (w/honey, fresh berries, fresh veggies, etc.) they'd switch again leaving the other alone. Sugar Gliders are good at 'playing you', so you should ONLY put out one food bowl...

FINALLY, I just combined the EN's Complete Pellets (add some water and microwave to make texture more like oatmeal cookie), the EN's instant HPW, some honey, some microwaved berries (to soften and liquefy), some well cooked veggies (peas, carrots, green beans and corn) all squished-up with a fork (otherwise they'll just pick the whole pieces out and not eat the rest) and I throw in some raw (not instant) Quaker oats for good measure to the pellets before microwaving. THEY GORGE THEMSELVES WITH THIS NOW!!!
Question
Mar 19 2020
05:37:42 PM
BatGirl Glider Visit BatGirl's Photo Album BatGirl's Journal USA 50 Posts
Also nice for a treat is Exotic Nutrition's cooked "Wax Worms" (comes in a can with plastic lid) which are actually pupal for of moth caterpillars.

As far as the above 'diet' - look at the pictures on this page: Left-over Glider food - yum!

... I think they love it!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders