Sugar Gliders
3 REASONS WHY PAYING FOR COLOR IS JUST WRONG
Next |
Page: of 4
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 04 2007
04:33:04 PM
WARNING: If you don't care to know the truth, skip this. But if you are interested in reading something REAL that cuts through the "cool" smokescreen, here it is...

1. Just watch your gliders change color over time. We have two colonies (no we don't sell them) and I can tell you they change over time. Cinammon can turn to grey. White-faced can turn to brown or grey. So don't think the color will necessarily stay the same. It's foolish to pay a premium for color for this reason alone. Many of you will KICK YOURSELVES in six months or a year from now for paying a premium for color. Or worse yet, take it out on the innocent glider just because you feel ripped off and are too immature to deal with it. Just remember, it's never their fault you paid a premium for them. It's your fault.

2. Charging a premium for color promotes in-breeding, quick-buck behavior and wanna-be clueless breeders. Wanna-be clueless breeders quickly get bored with it, go broke doing it, and then more gliders end up homeless or destroyed. And the sirens' call of charging a premium for color is one of the evil greed-demons that encourage these wanna-be clueless breeders. And the in-breeding that is so often practiced to get *birth defects* like color variation just creates more sickly and malformed gliders who are discarded and destroyed. It's just sick stuff that happens to get you your silly color variation. Sick. It's blood money and it's just wrong. Too many suggies die or are malformed to finally get the "correct" birth defect of color variation. So buying for color promotes breeding for color. And breeding for color creates amoral Dr. Frankensteins. So the "cool" color you want comes at a high price - not only the money part that's high, but the quality of life and death caused by improper husbandry to get the color you are looking for. Not cool at all.

3. Color is just a fad on top of an *already* bad fad. Sugar Gliders are already suffering from the "fad" pet syndrome. "Oh look they are so cool I just have to have one." Yeah for a month or two and then they get ignored or ill-treated and end up here for sale or dead. If you can't love and nuture a glider - no matter what color - for the 12-15 years they *should* live - just stay out of it and do them all a favor. And do the rescues a favor by having one or two less to rescue when the "cool" wears off. Try to resist the strong pull of the "fad" pet syndrome. These creatures are not like hamsters that you can just ignore and throw food and water at every once and a while. Unlike hamsters, suggies are a real committment. Think ahead about college, trips around the world with a backpack, partying for days at a time, your first job requirng lots of travel, weekend getaways with a new boy or girlfriend, or new spouse who hates pets, etc. If you can't look ahead at things like this over the next 15 years, then you are not being responsible to your pet or yourself. They want to live for 15 years in a steady, safe, predictable environment. They want an owner who cares enough about them to be there for them that long instead of ending up in this classifieds section.

This is the truth and the truth is buying and selling for color is not cool. A lot of you may have already bought or sold for color not knowing these things. That's maybe not your fault. But now if you've read this you know better now. Please consider these things before buying *or* selling for color. The defenseless and innocent suggies of the world thank you for your humanity.

Edited by - LuckyGlider on Jul 04 2007 04:41:24 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 04 2007
05:01:12 PM
Anonymous - 4 Posts
1. True colored gliders are the ones with a white variation that will not change over time. (IE: white faced blondes, BEW, Albinos, moseics) White faces mean that they do not have the bar under their ears and they cannot just get those. Now, I agree that a cinni or black beauty or whatever can turn grey, but the white variations do not change!

2. Charging a premium actually does the opposite. We have seen this with the white faced gliders. When they were $600 for a first generation, we rarely saw one for sale and when it was it was from a well known breeder with an extensive background and lineage on them who quized the new owners extensivly. Now that a first generation is around $300 we see small "hooby" breeders breeding them with no records on them and no care given to who buys them which in turn makes more people who get into it to make $$ a chance to because they can afford them easier. As with health, you get what you pay for and should only buy from well known good breeders. I've actually found my white faced gliders to be much healthier then my grey gliders when they first come to me and have on average lived longer.

I think in general, we should raise the price of all gliders sold so that the average person cannot afford to have them and if they truely wanted one and did the research and saw they lived that long and still wanted one, the amount of money they would have to save would give them a kick of reality and not as many impulse buys would happen.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 04 2007
05:37:57 PM
Ahsaehr Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Ahsaehr's Photo Album Ahsaehr's Journal USA 3478 Posts
Everyone who dishes out a grand for one of those rat looking white gliders should donate to the Rheasha's college fund
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 04 2007
05:41:05 PM
LuckyGlider Zippy Glidershorts GliderMap Visit LuckyGlider's Photo Album LuckyGlider's Journal TX, USA 5266 Posts
Yes, maybe raising the price all around would shake-out the impulse buys and attract more serious owners, that would be good. But in reality, supply and demand theorem kinda gets in the way of that.

The "reverse" being true sounds like a rationalization. Color variation is still a faddish inclination on top of already faddish pets. So that doesn't go away until we stop differentiating (price or otherwise) with color.

But charging a premium for color *alone* accentuates a poor motivation. And the fact that clueless breeders blow through innocent lives (with destroyed gliders, or malformed gliders as "collateral damage") to get there makes it worse. All in all, the point I was making is that it is morally reprehensible to breed for color and BUYING for color only supports that.

It is a continuum, where there is culpability on behalf of breeder, buyer and (re)seller. The culpability is spread out amongst all of these people, so the guilt of propigating the premium is spread out. But it's still just wrong. Raising the price of all gliders is a nice thought that would magically solve some of the problem, but it masks the real problem: greed and ignorance.

Edited by - LuckyGlider on Jul 04 2007 05:41:58 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 04 2007
11:14:11 PM
Eric C Retired GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Eric C's Photo Album Eric C's Journal TX, USA 2321 Posts
I agree with LuckyGlider. The motive for easy profit trumps ethics.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 05 2007
03:28:19 AM
cokegirl23 Face Hugger GliderMap Visit cokegirl23's Photo Album TX, USA 546 Posts
GOOD JOB LUCKYGLIDER!!! WELL SAID!!!!!

Edited by - cokegirl23 on Jul 08 2007 07:58:48 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 08 2007
04:51:51 PM
Kissed82 Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit Kissed82's Photo Album USA 1097 Posts
WOOT LG!
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 08 2007
09:36:21 PM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
Thank you, Ed. This really needed to be said. Very well done.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 09 2007
11:59:01 AM
LuckyGlider Zippy Glidershorts GliderMap Visit LuckyGlider's Photo Album LuckyGlider's Journal TX, USA 5266 Posts
thanks you guys. I know it needed to be said. And maybe it stands repeating from time to time. Newcomers just don't know any better and I'm sure many people innocently buy based on color. We have to educate them somehow so they understand. I don't know how else to do it...
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 10 2007
02:55:44 PM
Ahsaehr Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Ahsaehr's Photo Album Ahsaehr's Journal USA 3478 Posts
Not to mention, Luckyglider that most of the color variations come from inbreeding. Think about all the mosaic, or those weird looking white gliders, how many of them are steril. Also, I wish I could get how long they live, I would theorize that from inbreeding color variations don't live as long since they might have enlarged organs or undersized organs or just abnormalities.

Also to anonymous who posted about raising the price of sugar gliders so the "average person" couldn't afford them. My FIRST sugar glider was 250 dollars, and being a spoiled teenage girl all i had to do was go up to my Daddy and ask. If you keep in mind all the people who would give them quality care would not be able to afford it. All the celebrities would get a sugar glider then and it would be a hollywood fad and then those celebrities find out you can house train them or they get sick and what happens, they die off. Leaving tons of unwanted gliders out there because it was in style and the breeders went with it (that's sort of what happened)

It's like when Paris Hilton had that Kinkajou and it attacked her or whatever, I wonder if she still has it....I highly doubt it.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 10 2007
04:10:01 PM
Anonymous - 4 Posts
So are you saying we should lower the price? Then any old Joe could get one and they would see it as something like a hampster and totally not care for it at all. Raising the price will only deter the impulse buys. It will not hinder the people who really want one and save for it. (and most that will do that will care for the glider like they should) I also do not see celebs getting gliders for any reason. They like bigger and flashier animals that dont need to be caged. FYI: Paris's Kink was illegal and was taken from her and put into a educational facility. Also, she bought her brother a glider and from everything I've read, it was spoiled and well taken care of until it also was taken for being illegal in CA. did you know Frank from trading spaces has 12 gliders and knows Mary and Charlie in TX who rescue and is friends with them. So, not all celebs are bad...
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 10 2007
06:00:38 PM
Eric C Retired GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Eric C's Photo Album Eric C's Journal TX, USA 2321 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous

Then any old Joe could get one and they would see it as something like a hampster and totally not care for it at all.

That's already the case, as gliders can be obtained for free in areas near mill breeders. Creating a fad within a fad using questionable breeding practices is due the fact that gliders are extremely cheap and often free. Anyone claiming colored gliders is not about money is either naive or lying to themselves. When someone can sell 10 gliders and make 10,000 dollars in a single month, it is most definitely about the money.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 10 2007
06:30:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous

So are you saying we should lower the price? Then any old Joe could get one and they would see it as something like a hampster and totally not care for it at all. Raising the price will only deter the impulse buys. It will not hinder the people who really want one and save for it. (and most that will do that will care for the glider like they should) I also do not see celebs getting gliders for any reason. They like bigger and flashier animals that dont need to be caged. FYI: Paris's Kink was illegal and was taken from her and put into a educational facility. Also, she bought her brother a glider and from everything I've read, it was spoiled and well taken care of until it also was taken for being illegal in CA. did you know Frank from trading spaces has 12 gliders and knows Mary and Charlie in TX who rescue and is friends with them. So, not all celebs are bad...

I didn't imply that they all were, but many of them can't handle themselves properly. In my opinion the price is pretty high in some places. I paid 250 for my first glider and while I was signing papers for him I don't know how many people walked by and said, "I want one, how much are they?" and just ran at the price. Do you know how many people can just walk by a booth at a fair and spend 250 dollars on a single pet, knowing they need a cage as well. Most of the gliders for 100 or less are either from previous owners who cannot care for them anymore or are from small breeders or "adoption fees" for rescues in many areas.

Forgive me I was an impulse buyer, and I actually learned to take care of my gliders, I bet is you asked the sugarglider.com community you'd find a large portion of us were impulse buyers who wanted to meet other owners and learned how to take care of them. I hate promoting inbreeding and color variations....it's insane too. Do you notice how many people pay the 500 dollars for their gliders and how they don't have anything else, sometimes can't even afford vet bills?

Default, miscellaneous
Jul 11 2007
03:42:05 PM
Anonymous you are really missing the point. This is about humanity versus inhumanity. Not the price point. The price is simply a function of supply and demand - which is manipulated by breeders based on the fad-within-a-fad mentality of morally clueless buyers.

They cost something because they are sold.

The *problem* is that color is being sold *at all*, not so much the price.

Your argument about the reverse being true on the premium is weak because you are shifting the issue to the least controversial thing. Price is not what's scuzzy and inhumane about the whole thing. That's just the commercial part.

So let's look at the real problem: Inhumane practices that go on to "get" the color. The inbreeding. The collateral damage. The malformed gliders. The deaths. That's the problem - not the money. The argument about the price being higher, lower, the same - would be a good argument if it weren't for the inhumane practices that go on. In fact, if it weren't for he inhumane practices, there would be nothing wrong with buying for color really. But it's wrong for that main reason - not the price, so let's focus on what's important. You are arguing what color to paint the wheel if you get my literary reference.

Edited by - LuckyGlider on Jul 11 2007 03:43:46 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 11 2007
05:12:21 PM
Anonymous - 4 Posts
Actually, colors such as white tip and white faced blondes occur more so in nature than captivity. (especially the white tip) They did not have to be breed for or inbreed.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 11 2007
06:25:35 PM
Do they? Because I was looking at thepetsugarglider.com 's website last night with a person that lives in Australia, and works at a sanctuary and she said not only do our gliders look completely different (possibly from inbreeding, possible because American gliders are from Indonesia) but those colors are not natural. A white tip or a white faced blonde is completely different from Mosaic or the white ones.

I bet if you had a child with your brother/sister who had a child with their brother/sister or first cousin you could have some pretty "exotic" and rare looking children. It's a great thing we don't sell people anymore.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 11 2007
07:45:42 PM
anonymous keeps missing the point. So now instead of talking about equalizing pricing we are on to talking about what colors occur naturally... That also is not the point. The topic is immorality and inhumane husbandry - and how buyers unwittingly feed the greed fire of wanna-be breeders with dollar signs in their eyes who do low-life scum things to get color. Get it?
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 12 2007
09:06:07 PM
buyers: please, white tip, white face, albino, champagne - it doesn't matter. You buying these just keeps an evil machine running. Try not to.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 16 2007
09:55:04 AM
ThePastafarian Joey 13 Posts
The ethical breeders know the lineage of their gliders and would NEVER jeopardize the health of their gliders for a color. Please show me ONE example of a glider that was unhealthy due to its being breed for a color variation from a REPUTABLE breeder! I DARE you to go make this post on GC and see what your response would be. Your little pep squad would have to follow you over there because this argument is based on your OPINION. Do you have the research and proof from necropsies to give your theory any validation or credence?

Yes there are bad breeders out there that take advantage, but why not get on the mill breeders that are pumping out the classic grays? THOSE are the gliders who are suffering the most! There are TONS of "normal" colored gliders that are being inbred all for greed. Go get off your high horse and do something to help out!
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 16 2007
11:54:00 AM
MrsKing Super Glider Visit MrsKing's Photo Album USA 226 Posts
Just to let you know, a lot of us come here FROM GC because of the way they run things over there so nice try, but no thanks.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 16 2007
12:43:27 PM
PocketPrincess Joey 17 Posts
Yeah, at GC people actually want proof and research. It's really not that great when everyone agrees on everything all the time. There is room for debate and if Pasta wants to challenge you, I say GO FOR IT! Breeding for color is not bad at all if done right. Hey, even your mill breeders that are going for color spend more time and have colors that are treated better than their standard counterparts.

True colors do not change over time! White-faced gliders are based on solid genetics and they will not turn grey. Just like a lue will not turn grey. Charging extra does not promote inbreeding in good breeders. Different colors occur naturally in the wild, and I bet you didn't know that according to Australia Zoo, sugar gliders are SUPPOSED to have a white tip. It is not a birth defect, it is a variation.

Get off your high horse, step out onto a real board and get over yourself. Provide evidence from scientists and I might have to change a little of what I say. But, until you can prove what you are saying, you will have opposition. Maybe not from your groupies, but from people who have done this and people who actually breed gliders. Don't blindly follow someone, check out the other boards and find out what the suggie world is really like. You might be surprised.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 16 2007
12:53:49 PM
Sounds like you're the ones on your "high horse"

Granted the greys are also inbred and keep in mind almost ALL Gliders are inbred by now. If you guys have such a problem with glider gossip leave and don't waste your precious time posting on here. And if you're just going to come over here, degrade us and basically tell us we're retarded then you should just leave and keep your thoughts to yourself.

Ironically I don't see people posting on your precious GC that you're all stupid.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 16 2007
12:59:44 PM
quote:
Originally posted by PocketPrincess

Yeah, at GC people actually want proof and research. It's really not that great when everyone agrees on everything all the time. There is room for debate and if Pasta wants to challenge you, I say GO FOR IT! Breeding for color is not bad at all if done right. Hey, even your mill breeders that are going for color spend more time and have colors that are treated better than their standard counterparts.

True colors do not change over time! White-faced gliders are based on solid genetics and they will not turn grey. Just like a lue will not turn grey. Charging extra does not promote inbreeding in good breeders. Different colors occur naturally in the wild, and I bet you didn't know that according to Australia Zoo, sugar gliders are SUPPOSED to have a white tip. It is not a birth defect, it is a variation.

Get off your high horse, step out onto a real board and get over yourself. Provide evidence from scientists and I might have to change a little of what I say. But, until you can prove what you are saying, you will have opposition. Maybe not from your groupies, but from people who have done this and people who actually breed gliders. Don't blindly follow someone, check out the other boards and find out what the suggie world is really like. You might be surprised.

And ironically my fellow glider owners in Australia have white tipped, but not solid white and "mosaic" gliders, when they see pictures of the such they always mention how there is nothing like that there..

Also the gliders from the US are more likely from Indonesia.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 16 2007
01:45:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ahsaehr

Sounds like you're the ones on your "high horse"

Granted the greys are also inbred and keep in mind almost ALL Gliders are inbred by now. If you guys have such a problem with glider gossip leave and don't waste your precious time posting on here. And if you're just going to come over here, degrade us and basically tell us we're retarded then you should just leave and keep your thoughts to yourself.

Ironically I don't see people posting on your precious GC that you're all stupid.

Where on earth did either myself or PocketPrincess call ANYONE stupid or retarded? Maybe you should reread my post.

Mrs.King - I don't agree with how GC is run all the time, but that board is where most of the big color breeders are. I don't see any of them here. I just think that if someone is going to post how breeding for color is so amoral and unethical then both sides need to be presented.

Sorry if my post came off rude, but I was just irritated. There are no facts to support LuckyGlider's statements.

Ahshaer - Just because your Australian friend has never seen these color morphs in the wild doesn't mean the gliders in captivity that are breed for those colors are in any way unhealthy. For all I know your Australian friend works for the garbage company. Just because they're from Australia doesn't mean they spend time out in the wild looking for these gliders. How can anyone possibly know that NONE of these color mutations have happened in the wild? There's not.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 16 2007
01:56:38 PM
Some things are simply implied. You also could work for a garbage company and how do I know you know anything about color breeds.

You're all quick to trust what others tell you and how is a necropsy supposed to tell if a glider was inbred? It would be more of a DNA testing that would prove that.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 16 2007
02:31:59 PM
I implied nothing, you read what you wanted to read.

I'm not saying I'm a color expert; I just think it unfair to demean all of the hard work that some breeders put into their programs, simply because others aren't as responsible.

Necropsies can help identify genetic defects in our gliders, i.e. an elarged heart. I would think a necropsy would be more of a readily available procedure than DNA testing.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 16 2007
04:38:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by PocketPrincess

Get off your high horse, step out onto a real board and get over yourself.

Forgive me, but that comes off as arrogant and rude.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 16 2007
05:03:27 PM
PocketPrincess Joey 17 Posts
It is rude, but I'm hormonal and angry that everytime someone has posted colored gliders for sale on here, that someone has to link to this thread. And, most of the time, there is no reason to post here because there is nothing that I have seen in any of these threads that has a bit of scientific evidence. Why don't you try exploring other places and get a feel for what is out there?

But, telling people in the first post that this is basically the absolute truth is absurd. There is nothing wrong with breeding for a specific purpose. You aren't on the AKC websites telling them that purebred dogs are horrible and inbred, are you? Paying for color in gliders is just like paying the extra to have a purebred dog.

You tell Tanya and Kris and the others that breed for color that they are doing something so horrible as to breed for a specific color. If you don't want a colored glider, don't buy one, but don't stop someone else from doing it because it is not wrong. There is nothing horrible with genetics.

I'm not the color expert. But, go talk to one. Find out what breeding is about. The colored gliders are not suffering for this and they are not being inbred. Good breeders can track their lines for many generations and will not inbreed a glider.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 16 2007
09:47:19 PM
MrsKing Super Glider Visit MrsKing's Photo Album USA 226 Posts
Good breeders can track their lines yes, I think it's the bad breeders we are talking about here. "Oh look, a pretty cinnamon, and I can get it cheaper here too!" Most people flock to those who provide the cheapest price. In most cases, those people are the bad, inhumane, and irresponsible breeders. I think that is really the point. And please don't take your hormonal outbursts on us...

As for scientific advice, I have never ONCE seen any of it on GC. EVerything is just 'assumed' to be true. "Well it worked for Bourbon!" or "So and so said it, so it's true and you need to do it!". NEVER have I once seen numbers or things written from a top of the line glider specialist backing any of that up. I'm just supposed to believe everyone else and trust that what they say is right. If I bred 100's of gliders and they were all healthy I could make people believe everything I did was the "right way" too but that's not what we are trying to accomplish here. Please get over thinking that you are always right and listen to other points of view.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 17 2007
03:46:47 PM
Yes, MrsKing, I am referring to irresposnible breeding practices that are inhumane. The trouble with color is it acts as a magnet for bad husbandry practices. I am not saying all breeders lack a moral compass, but color has a tendency to make the needle on that compass spin.

Regarding the "self-annointed expert syndrome" that's a good rant I am also known for talking about. That syndrome is common in any industry where poor leadership and a lack of real data is the rule. Please start another post on that so you can give it its due.

I am just a lover of gliders and I'm quick to defend them because they can't speak for themselves. I am not a militant radical, but one of the people that tries to speak on their behalf. I ain't no expert, but we have a few colonies and we breed for our own joy. We don't sell our babies but are neutering more because we are running out of room and cages... :-)
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 18 2007
02:14:17 AM
Anonymous - 4 Posts
quote:
- I don't agree with how GC is run all the time, but that board is where most of the big color breeders are. I don't see any of them here. I just think that if someone is going to post how breeding for color is so amoral and unethical then both sides need to be presented.

Let's keep it this way. Since we don't want the breeders on here.
We support trying to find good homes for recuse.
Next |
Page: of 4

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders