Health related
Feb 10 2008
10:07:32 AM
Bml diet is bad for your gliders?

www.glideruniversity.org/index/content/view/55/1/

Health related
Feb 10 2008
10:12:46 AM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
Glider University was set up years ago as a vendetta against Bourbon, who started the BML diet (self proclaimed). It pops up every now and then by new people who stumble on it.

While Glider University has some good points, it is NOT the place to go for information...
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 10 2008
10:14:21 AM
Anonymous - 4 Posts
so its not bad for them?
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 10 2008
10:23:49 AM
dranger1108 Glider GliderMap Visit dranger1108's Photo Album OK, USA 157 Posts
I've had my gliders on bml diet for two years and they did great on it...
Health related
Feb 10 2008
10:39:16 AM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
Personally, I dont feed BML - but a few who come here do. My girls would not eat it... And it smells really bad!!!

But from what I understand, it is a fairly good diet for suggies that have not been fed well and are suffering the ill effects of poor nutrition. A couple of our rescue groups use it for that purpose.
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 10 2008
10:40:57 AM
Seabreezerain Super Glider GliderMap Visit Seabreezerain's Photo Album USA 220 Posts
My female Zoey I got last night was bad off when her previous owner had gotten her and she is on bml and I plan to keep her on it for awhile. She was stressed out and her hair had fell out and so she put her on the bml and all her hair grew back and now she is doing great!! So I am keeping her on this diet for a while since she is used to it.
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 10 2008
11:47:05 AM
GoldenStateOfMind Glider 94 Posts
The rescue I'm getting my suggies from feeds BML so I will keep them on that diet unless something goes wrong. From what I read, its a great diet, sometimes the suggies can get fat from it tho.
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 10 2008
11:59:17 AM
Ahsaehr Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Ahsaehr's Photo Album Ahsaehr's Journal USA 3478 Posts
it just has a ton of sugar in it. almost 5 grams per serving....

I think in the future we'll be seeing diabetic sugars
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 10 2008
12:39:33 PM
Rauha Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Rauha's Photo Album Rauha's Journal Finland 440 Posts
From the conclusion we did yesterday, it has even worse stuff in it then just plain sugar. It has vitamin K3, which is in other words known as menadione. Menadione in large doses can cause liver damage, severe brain damage and in worse cases death, among other things. The FDA has banned any menadione supplements used for humans, so I can't think of it as anything good for suggies either. I do not know what is a "large dose", but the Rep-Cal Herpitive used in BML has menadione in it, and I guess for a small animal like a suggie, small doses for us are huge doses for them.

Rep-Cal Herptivite;
Vitamins:
Vit E, Choline, Niacin, Inositol, Vit C, P-Amino Benzoic Acid, B1, B2, b6, Bete Carotene, d-Pantothenic Acid, Folic Acid, Menadione, B12, and Biotin.

I do not wish to cause any kind of hysteria with this, this is just something I think people have the right to know if they don't know where to look. And I am only telling you guys what I've read myself. I have no experience in using the BML diet, because it is a diet very difficult to put together over here in Finland and I don't think suggies need all that stuff it contains. But I assure you I am not out to bash the BML diet or in any way trying to get people to freak out. I am only stating known facts.

Here you can read and assure yourselves I'm not talking BS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menadione

Default, miscellaneous
Feb 10 2008
01:00:26 PM
Seabreezerain Super Glider GliderMap Visit Seabreezerain's Photo Album USA 220 Posts
I guess I need to try and switch her diet I don't want my babies getting sick!
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 10 2008
01:05:06 PM
Glider Zc Joey 14 Posts
is the HPW bad too?
Information
Feb 10 2008
01:15:11 PM
Rauha Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Rauha's Photo Album Rauha's Journal Finland 440 Posts
Whoaaa, hold your horses there just for a sec. I don't think BML is bad in short term use, but in long term I think it will cause more damage than good. And saying long term, I mean years and YEARS. I really don't want to cause any kind of hysteria. I just think this is something that no one has noticed before, because people don't know where or what to look for. Seriously, I think it's something even the diets creator hasn't noticed. I just wanted people to know, don't hate the messenger and PLEASE, don't freak out. I bet your gliders are ALL FINE, no one's dying or getting heart attacks or anything, everyone just CHILL. Think about it, don't go all crazy and climbing up the walls because of it. Relax, and think and do some research and then think again. No need to PANIC, my fellow users, nooo neeed to panic *uses a very soothing voice*

Edited by - Rauha on Feb 10 2008 01:16:59 PM
Health related
Feb 29 2008
08:37:15 PM
cordu Glider GliderMap USA 99 Posts
so I shouldnt feed my gliders BML everyday? I thought it was the kind of diet they were supposed to be on for life?
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 29 2008
11:13:53 PM
Belinda Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Belinda's Photo Album FL, USA 944 Posts
do you think some fairy mixed that stuff up for them in the wild?

From what I see it is a good thing for feeding them IF, you have a lot of rescues to feed and rehabilitate. Other than that i will stick with real food to feed them. Hell they have a more balanced diet than I do.

And again, I will agree, the stuff just smells nasty And my babies didnt like it either.
Health related
Mar 01 2008
09:09:09 AM
SugarLoafin Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit SugarLoafin's Photo Album CO, USA 1755 Posts
It is definitely stinky. I about lost the contents of my stomach a couple of times when I was mixing it up.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 01 2008
01:16:31 PM
I didn't smell mine when I made up my first batch a few weeks ago. I had the lid on my blender. I fed the baby food to my babies so maybe thats the part that stinks and I was already used to it.
Health related
Mar 01 2008
02:14:32 PM
cordu Glider GliderMap USA 99 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Belinda

do you think some fairy mixed that stuff up for them in the wild?

I never Said that they ate that in the wild, but what animal that has been domesticated eat what they ate in the wild? I just want to give them a balanced diet that will be as sufficient as the one that they eat in the wild. Besides the regular fruit, Veggies and mealies what kind of vitamins do you feed your sugar gliders?
Health related
Mar 01 2008
03:22:42 PM
High Protein Wombaroo powder has vitamins in it. You can mix it in with their fruits and veggies. I wouldnt sprinkle anything powder on top of their food because the first suggie to eat may end up getting to much vitamin.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 26 2008
07:29:11 PM
SGT John Glider GliderMap 69 Posts
I tasted BML, but luckily I didn't have vionate or repcal without d3 and phos for the first batch I made. I didn't notice a really terrible smell, but then again I eat MREs. Now I have a little spoonful of HPW ice cream every night...

Too bad myoplex doesn't taste that good!
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 26 2008
07:39:13 PM
LovingLife123 Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit LovingLife123's Photo Album LovingLife123's Journal USA 1069 Posts
not to start any trouble but on glideruniversity it does not say that BML is bad for your gliders is says to be weary of those who say their diet is BML inhanced (meaning they made changes to etc.) b/c it's not the original BML mix.
Research Information
Apr 26 2008
08:03:54 PM
LovingLife123 Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit LovingLife123's Photo Album LovingLife123's Journal USA 1069 Posts
Nevermind I read it wrong....here it is
It has been documented in various places that there is a correlation between diet-related illness and death rate in sugar gliders using "Bourbon's Modified Leadbeater's," and "Ruth's Modified Leadbeater's". While it cannot be proven that the supplementation is the root of the problem, it is worth serious consideration. The "Modified Leadbeater's" listed here as Ruth's and Bourbon's are actually misnomers. When speaking with the director of Moonlit Sanctuary, Australia he stated:

The BML [Bourbon's Modified Leadbeater's] is claimed to be a "modified leadbeaters" mix. Frankly, reading what goes into it, it is nothing like the leadbeaters mix. The sustagen in the leadbeaters mix is a milk based product therefore has a high calcium ratio (it is available in "hospital" and "sports" grades, we always use hospital). The only baby cereal used is high-protein, which is for 0-3 months. Australian zoos have used the leadbeaters mix for some decades. We ourselves have used it for 3 years with no problems, and have a thriving, breeding, population of three species of glider. When I first read about the BML diet, I had to wonder was it just an American thing that if you modify something by increasing the complexity, it has to be better?

Like Rita said... this was last updated 04/2004 so I would say we have learned much since then

Edited to add last line

Edited by - LovingLife123 on Apr 26 2008 08:06:35 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 01 2009
08:01:39 AM
guineasandgliders Starting Member IL, USA 1 Posts
I use bml but I do not use it every day. I use it every third day and give my gliders mealies and a variety of fruits and veggies ( changing it up alot ) I also offer them a dry all the time for when they are up and about in the day. I am sure there are other great diets but this is what they were on at the breeders and I don't want to change their diet. I think of it like a baby. If I were to change their diet it would cause diarrhea or constipation and upset stomach. I have read around about bml and I think that if its a supplement to their diet and not the whole diet its fine. My gliders diet is more than a supplement I mix in the blender.
Health related
Mar 01 2009
08:34:48 AM
dizzysmom Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Visit dizzysmom's Photo Album dizzysmom's Journal IN, USA 3882 Posts
Guineasandgliders - You are including protein on the non-BML nights, right? Mealies are to be given as a treat only because they are high in fats. They should not be considered as a source of protein.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 01 2009
10:30:04 AM
Sigmar Glider Visit Sigmar's Photo Album 176 Posts
Soooo any exotic animal dieticians here??? Also where are the facts to support BML being bad and I mean the studies and who did them? Glider Universaty in MHO is self serving, they sell Glider food. For every vet that says one thing you can find another to say different. Since I use my version I guess I need to call it SLM. I have cut way back on the sugar and I feed bunchs of fresh fruit and veggies plus protien. Just wait and someone will come along and say HPW will make your gliders glow in the dark. lol
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 01 2009
11:40:58 AM
Just something else to think about. I agree that the 50-25-25 is probably the best way to go if you not only can figure the calcium to phos ratios but also if your guys will eat their veggies. The only veggies mine will eat regularly is spring mix. Now that being said people will say put some honey on it, soak it in apple juice and we're right back to sugar intake. With the SLM (BLM) I know their getting their vitamines and calcium. There is NO long term controlled research out there on their diet. Guess one reason I'm going on about this subject is someone will come on here and say something negative about a diet without anything scientific to back it up. Then those that are new to glider upkeep panick and think their doing something wrong. Anything in large enough doses can kill you however many toxins are naturally expelled. Heres a case in point, how many use plastic drinking bottles, how many babies were feed from plastic bottles? Get my point. If your gliders will eat everything you put in front of them and you understand the ratios then by all means use the 50-25-25 diet, its a great diet.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 01 2009
12:11:34 PM
alyanne Face Hugger Visit alyanne's Photo Album FL, USA 487 Posts
I agree with Sigmar and not only that, sometimes I feel like we are all trying to be so darn perfect with these little ones and life isn't perfect. We all want to do our best and thats great. We know about HLP and of course, we don't want that so they do need there diets to be monitored but I'm sure none of our diets that we eat ourselves are perfect - in fact, far from it. The key is to not feed them pellets as there regular diet and make sure they are eating the proper nutrients. If everyone in the world treated themselves like we treat our suggies, McDonalds would go out of business and no processed food would be on the shelves at our local grocery store. No matter how hard we try, no diet is ever going to be consistantly perfect - even if you are figuring out the ratios because even gliders don't want everything that is great for them. They are picky and won't eat everything which throws off the ratios, just like us. Off to make my kids and myself some very unhealthy mac and cheese. :) Its just a fact of life!
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 01 2009
01:35:33 PM
Goldwinger Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit Goldwinger's Photo Album Goldwinger's Journal VA, USA 1369 Posts
My Vet who was a rescue and now just only has three gliders of her own and is an exotic Vet feeds her babies BML. The posts made by about BML are true according to her mostly to the effect about the added Vitamin supplement. She use BML but leaves out the Vitamin supplement but uses the Calcium supplement with no PH and also no D3. Her recomendation to me, and I only use the Leadbeater's is to stop putting in the vitamin supplement. She stated that almost all the liver damaged gliders that she has treated were from those feeding the BML diet. Now I have no opinion on this as I am just still a newbie. The next batch of Leadbeater's I make I will no be adding the Vitamin supplement but I feed my babies according to the Ca:PH ratio and offer them other protein almost nightly like chicken, eggs, mealies, shrimp, beef in small amounts. The above was her recommendation and how she feeds her babies the BML without the added supplement only the Calcium.
Health related
Mar 01 2009
01:38:18 PM
glider_mommy Face Hugger Visit glider_mommy's Photo Album AL, USA 931 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Rita

Personally, I dont feed BML - but a few who come here do. My girls would not eat it... And it smells really bad!!!

But from what I understand, it is a fairly good diet for suggies that have not been fed well and are suffering the ill effects of poor nutrition. A couple of our rescue groups use it for that purpose.

I know what you mean about the smell..lol But I only had a problem with the odor if I hard boiled the egg and put it in hot. If I used an egg I had already boiled from the refrigerator... the smell wasn't bad at all.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 01 2009
01:40:39 PM
BML by itself is not a complete diet. As most know feed fresh veggies and fruit to go along with it, the added protien doesn't hurt either.
Health related
Mar 01 2009
01:47:43 PM
glider_mommy Face Hugger Visit glider_mommy's Photo Album AL, USA 931 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by SGT John

I tasted BML, but luckily I didn't have vionate or repcal without d3 and phos for the first batch I made. I didn't notice a really terrible smell, but then again I eat MREs. Now I have a little spoonful of HPW ice cream every night...

Too bad myoplex doesn't taste that good!

lmao if you can eat MRE's lol you can eat just about anything I bet..lol My ex would eat those things... I never could understand HOW he could eat them just to eat them. It didn't look appetizing. lol
Health related
Mar 01 2009
01:49:06 PM
alyanne Face Hugger Visit alyanne's Photo Album FL, USA 487 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by glider_mommy

I know what you mean about the smell..lol But I only had a problem with the odor if I hard boiled the egg and put it in hot. If I used an egg I had already boiled from the refrigerator... the smell wasn't bad at all.

Oh my, I didn't even put two and two together but you are so right! When I used a hot egg, it about knocked me over with the smell but I didn't smell it when I used a cold egg. I even thought that I had used expired or rotten eggs with the hot batch and that was why the first one smelled so bad and it even worried me. Humm... now I know, only cold eggs if I end up sticking with BML. Thats a good tip. I never realized the connection until now.
Bml diet bad for your gliders
Next |
Page: of 3

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bml diet bad for your gliders