Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Mesh floors in cages
Mesh floors in cages
Health related
Jan 18 2009
09:18:19 PM
I finally added the last two plastic mesh floors to the glider cages. I originally started with the opossum cage since the 1" floor really seemed uncomfortable to her and then I was curious how it would go over in the glider cage and they loved it. The smaller squares allow them to rest their feet by not having to wrap around and hold the thin wire floor for stability.

I put the flat side up for more surface area and leave the rounded side down to be a more comfortable grip in case they do wrap around it.

In the wild gliders usually use their nails and flattened feet against trees and they probably rarely have to curl a narrow finger-only grip onto something thin, whereas in captivity, the cage walls are all tiny wires so they have to clamp and balance all the time. I believe that this mesh floor surface along with as many other natural and flat surfaces that you can provide will help them keep healthy feet.

Photos in the jounal entry below:

JOURNAL ENTRY: Cleaned Cages Today
/>
/>
/>
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 18 2009
09:28:16 PM
Goldwinger Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit Goldwinger's Photo Album Goldwinger's Journal VA, USA 1369 Posts
1. Do they come precut that size?

2. Do you just lay them on top of the floor that's already in the cage for stability?

3. Where do you get it from and what is it called?

I like that idea so I may be looking into doing that. Can't think of anymore questions so need info please.....Thanxs.
Health related
Jan 18 2009
09:36:20 PM
mtb Face Hugger Visit mtb's Photo Album USA 950 Posts
That would keep the monkeys from falling through. Good idea. How do I get one?
Health related
Jan 18 2009
10:09:04 PM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
Great idea! I always feel sorry they have to climb around on those tiny cage bars.
Health related
Jan 19 2009
04:48:36 AM
dizzysmom Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Visit dizzysmom's Photo Album dizzysmom's Journal IN, USA 3882 Posts
That's one reason why I have fleece as a bottom covering and on the shelves as well.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 19 2009
09:21:08 AM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
You can make them from the contractor's/builder's mesh
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 19 2009
10:52:42 AM
TiggerBell Glider GliderMap Visit TiggerBell's Photo Album TiggerBell's Journal Canada 111 Posts
I dont have a picture atm but thats what one of my whole cages is covered with. I never though about doing the floor but thats not a bad idea. My big cade was a ferret cage that I no longer needed but the holes were too big, so I used that stuff to cover the inside of the cage. You can also build a frame and cover the frame in it.
Mesh floors in cages

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Mesh floors in cages