Sugar Gliders
Look what Can happen with a Bad diet. :(
Previous | Next |
Page: of 11
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 19 2011
09:45:47 PM
viciousencounters Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit viciousencounters's Photo Album viciousencounters's Journal NM, USA 2907 Posts
Neutering?
Food, Diet
Feb 19 2011
10:39:22 PM
suggiemom02 Face Hugger GliderMap Visit suggiemom02's Photo Album suggiemom02's Journal KY, USA 906 Posts
Neutering and Change of diet probably..The first picture is when Doug first got Chester,(I think anyway..) the second is the "After " Picture to show difference in diets..
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 19 2011
10:41:02 PM
Kozi Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit Kozi's Photo Album Kozi's Journal WI, USA 1278 Posts
He wasn't wet looking.. his fur was very bad. Their fur gets dry and 'cracks' up and doesn't lay right or look as soft and clean as it should when they're not fed properly.. and yep! The bald spot usually goes away once neutered. They look just like girls. :o
Food, Diet
Feb 20 2011
01:15:11 AM
KuroNeko Fuzzy Wuzzy Gliderpedia Editor Visit KuroNeko's Photo Album USA 1617 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by GigglyGlider

he looks like he's all wet. why is the first glider a boy, and the second a girl?

The second isn't a girl. The male was neutered, and when they get neutered the "bald spot" goes away.
Food, Diet
Feb 20 2011
12:28:19 PM
suggiemom02 Face Hugger GliderMap Visit suggiemom02's Photo Album suggiemom02's Journal KY, USA 906 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by kyro298

Thanks, Belinda. :)

For everyone posting that they were on pellets "before", could you state what kind, out of curiosity? For the record, Puff Daddy was on the Eucalyptus pellets as his main diet.

This is the kind of pellets Boogie was on for about 2-3 weeks..! You can get them almost anywhere... Our 2 pet stores sell it, and even our nearest Petsmart. Even a lot of websites sell it.
For example, Exotic Nutrition sells many types..

Default, miscellaneous
Feb 20 2011
10:47:29 PM
Markysmommy713 Super Glider GliderMap Visit Markysmommy713's Photo Album Markysmommy713's Journal USA 211 Posts
I have read everyones post and im sad for all of you who lost a glider I have been feeding BML and fresh fruits and veggies every night to my two gliders they love it and morning mealies:) is BML a good safe diet to keep them one or is there a better healthier choice thanks:) my female ive had ever sense she was a baby so she has always eaten BML but the male I rescued and not sure what he was stop previously fed but he had cracked fur and was orange he is clearing up true colors shinning threw and he was neuturd on valentines day so he can soon be house with my female they both were fully vetted and both healthy he was just stained alot.....
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 21 2011
02:44:50 AM
KuroNeko Fuzzy Wuzzy Gliderpedia Editor Visit KuroNeko's Photo Album USA 1617 Posts
Faith:

That's the same one's mine were on.

Markysmommy713

BML is fine.
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 21 2011
08:04:37 AM
Markysmommy713 Super Glider GliderMap Visit Markysmommy713's Photo Album Markysmommy713's Journal USA 211 Posts
Food, Diet
Feb 26 2011
01:09:45 AM
ThisOne Joey 15 Posts
I don't have pics of my guys to compare, but they are all looking better.
My first glider was fed hamster food and hummingbird nectar. When I found out I was horrified. I had contacted this guy through craigslist and he just said he had food and gliderade left. Theres a petstore near where he lived that sells gliders and feeds a terrible 'insectivore' diet (you could see bits of corn in it) and gliderade. I'm pretty sure thats where he got him, and decided he didn't want to pay more for real gliderade and opted for the sugar and dye mix that is hummingbird nectar, and cheaped out with hamster food instead of the insectivore diet. He also lived in a tiny bird cage with nothing but a pouch in it. He didn't even have a water bottle! It's one thing to be ignorant of what an animal needs, and another to not care.
Surprisingly, he had really, really nice fur, and still does. Fluffy and full and soft. But his underbelly was completely yellow. The guy only had him for 4 months. His belly fur is a lot better now, about 6 months later, but still has a bit of a yellow tinge to it.
My two girls I got from a woman who rescued them. For the first 4 years of their lives, they were fed beans and baby food (and who knows what else). They lived in a tiny cage in a back room with no toys or anything. The woman I got them from had had them for about a year, on Leadbeater's and fruits/veggies/mealworms/crickets the whole shebang. They wouldn't touch anything she offered other than fruit or chicken baby food for months. It took them a long time to eat fruit on a regular basis with me too. Their fur is a little cracked even now, but it's improved a lot since I've gotten them, and I can't imagine what they looked like when they were first rescued!

Last month or so, I contacted a woman on craigslist about a cage she had. I was looking for a travel cage for my gliders and the one she had seemed to be a good size (30" tall 18" wide/deep). I got to her house and she tells me she had two gliders living in the cage, and that they had mysteriously died. She then offers me the rest of their food and gliderade. She hands me half a can of Sunseed Sugar Glider formula and 1/3 a jar of gliderade. When I picked up the cage it was dark out, so it looked okay. When I got home, I saw that it was covered with rust head to toe, not just thin surface rust but deep rust that had eaten under a lot of the coating. I know in this case the gliders (assumed since they died of unknown causes) condition has to do with more general husbandry issues, I just think it's worth mentioning. I didn't think much of what she said at first, but looking back I was like Oy, another person taught by a petstore that shouldn't sell animals .
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 26 2011
02:11:55 AM
Gliderade is just crap. Nothing, but unnecessary sugar in their diet.

And the "unknown" cause was probably due to to horrible diet in combination with zinc poisoning from the rust. Poor babies
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 26 2011
08:49:29 AM
rammsteinmiss Face Hugger Visit rammsteinmiss's Photo Album IN, USA 506 Posts
Aww! All these poor gliders!! Faith really got to me!!! People should be more educated when owning gliders as a pet. They really need to know what damage they are doing to these creatures.
Food, Diet
Feb 27 2011
06:04:28 PM
Is there a way to sticky this post? I think there are a lot of helpful videos, photos, and stories on here that could be useful when explaining to newbies exactly how important diet is to sugar gliders health, and lives.
I have it bookmarked, so everynow and then i come on and bump it to see if there are any new additions to be made in case someone didnt know about the post.

Edited_ Spelling

Edited by - suggiemom02 on Feb 27 2011 06:22:26 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 27 2011
07:35:26 PM
I've asked Kazko before in chat, but I think he was a bit distracted so I didn't get my question answered. Try contacting Kazko or Eric C. They are both the mods of this site.
Information
Feb 27 2011
08:34:02 PM
shadow Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit shadow's Photo Album MO, USA 2332 Posts
they can be stickyed but it may not help much since people usually just look at the home page or dont see the things already stickied.

Edited by - shadow on Feb 27 2011 08:35:35 PM
Food, Diet
Feb 28 2011
08:30:58 AM
izzy_fuzzy Starting Member 7 Posts
I'm still crying as I write this....and feeling so lucky that my babies came to me in WAY better health than some of the gliders in this thread. My girls came to me with minimal cracking, my boy (approx 1y/o) had some cracking and his tail was a little skinny/flat. Mr was fed mostly pellets and some fruits/veggies, the girls were being fed a combo of baby food, fresh fruits/veggies and special kitty cat food from walmart. After a week in my care (Kazkos diet) Mr's tail is filling in nicely and his fur looks so much more plush/sleek now. The girls have been in my care for about a month and show MAJOR improvements. I soooo wish I'd thought to do before and after pics with them. They were 3, 4 and 5 y/o when I brought them home. At first we could tell them apart at a glance, Belle was by far the largest, Bree by far the smallest, Bess was just a bit smaller than Belle. Just 3-4 weeks in my care and the cracks have virtually dissapeared, tails are fluffier etc. But the most amazing difference is how they've filled out/grown, they are all virtually the same size now. The easiest way to tell them apart now is by personality. I was shocked at so much growth in older animals. So much so that I called the lady I got them from (not the orginal owner) to see if she could verify their ages for me. I'm still not convinced she was told the truth by the orginal owner. I could understand if it was just a case of them filling out a bit more, I could almost believe that's the case with Belle, but Bess and particulary Bree clearly show a marked size difference. Bree's head even looks larger/broader!
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 06 2011
12:03:39 PM
SugarShock Glider Visit SugarShock's Photo Album FL, USA 124 Posts
When I first got my Gliders, the breeder told me to feed them about a cup of fresh fruit/veggies each night, along with a spoon of low-fat yogurt and some slices of turkey. That was nearly five years ago. Since then, I've done even more research on Gliders! At first, my guys were on BML, but they started getting really picky and not eating it. I ended up purchasing three males from Priscilla Price later on and was introduced to her FABULOUS diet. I will not go back to another! I've noticed such a drastic change in the way my Gliders look! My Black Beauty colony is especially stunning. I'll try to post pics! :)
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 03 2011
11:01:21 AM
Bump
Food, Diet
May 07 2011
09:00:51 PM
quote:
Originally posted by KuroNeko

Food, Diet
May 08 2011
02:00:46 PM
fazioli Face Hugger Visit fazioli's Photo Album 906 Posts

We have had Alvin for a week now. He was previously on pellet food and a few dried bananas. The photos do not really show the extent of his condition. He has balding all around his head and neck, balding underneath his arms, his hair on his tail is extremely thin, and a ton of cracking in his coat. His nails were so overgrown they were almost grown into the bottom of his feet. Extreme staining on his chest as well. He has never been around another glider, so he will be introduced to his new cage mate in 3 weeks. In just a week, I have noticed his eyes are a lot brighter and he does seem happier. I feed my gliders the Reeps Wombaroo Diet. He eats all of the Reeps, and still working trying to find what fruits and veggies he enjoys. I will post pics on my profile a month or so down the line to show his progress.
Food, Diet
May 08 2011
02:15:12 PM
Amy1706 Super Glider Visit Amy1706's Photo Album Amy1706's Journal USA 252 Posts
Thank goodness you got him when you did I think he would have died if he was left in his situation. Remember his 30 day quarantine I am about to leave my house to pick up his cage mate....YAY Alvin is in my prayers along with your family
Default, miscellaneous
May 08 2011
02:36:25 PM
fazioli Face Hugger Visit fazioli's Photo Album 906 Posts
Thanks so much Amy for doing this for us!! We so appreciate your help and generosity! Yes, 3 more weeks for quarantine and then he will get to see his new cage mate! Cannot wait to get Squiggy tonight!
Default, miscellaneous
May 08 2011
04:00:06 PM
dragonflycatcher Face Hugger Visit dragonflycatcher's Photo Album FL, USA 723 Posts
The 6 rescues I just got were being fed the sunshine pellets, gliderade and once in a while a peice of fruit. They all went crazy last night for a real glider dinner(hpw fruits veggies and buggies). They are all pretty skinny and very yellow and stinky. There 4 pouches were packed with poo and ripped up. And even though they were handled and friendly they think anything at the bar of their cage must be food and bite it as soon as they see it including fingers. But don't bite outside of the cage except for excited grooming. These poor babies just need clean toys and pouches and good food, and lots of tlc. But man I could have lost my mind when they gave me the pellets and told me sometimes the mix body builder proyien powder with applesauce for them!
Food, Diet
Jun 12 2011
05:42:24 PM
Bump ?
Food, Diet
Jun 12 2011
08:01:47 PM
Omis n Kais g-ma Pouch Protector Visit Omis n Kais g-ma's Photo Album TX, USA 7524 Posts
Fazioli, that is horrible. Thankfully he is now in the care of a more knowledgable owner who cares enough to give him a decent diet.
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 12 2011
08:29:16 PM
YoungGun Face Hugger GliderMap Visit YoungGun's Photo Album LA, USA 526 Posts
Oh crap, I thought Lauren was back for a second. Anywho, I feed hpw to both of my gliders and they are beautiful. Bolt was lethargic, dehydrated, and had cracked fur when I got him. He's been on hpw for two weeks and already looks better and is more playful.
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 13 2011
10:16:42 AM
booboo Joey Visit booboo's Photo Album 12 Posts
I so happy that the lady I got mine from had them on a decent diet. they werent eating anything named but i switched them to bml and they are looking a little bit bigger, they are still growing... they love the stuff. I use it as a licky treat sometimes. lol so no before and afters for me. but what yall have done with these poor guys is amazing!
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 13 2011
02:16:21 PM
Sarah2880 Super Glider Visit Sarah2880's Photo Album 352 Posts
When I got them in November.
Now with their Babies! Its so amazing how much the fur color has changed and I am so glad my little boy doesn't look like Nemo anymore!
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 13 2011
02:17:31 PM
Faerie Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit Faerie's Photo Album 1833 Posts
Sarah, you have some beautiful babies there!!!

~Michelle~
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 13 2011
02:31:12 PM
Sarah2880 Super Glider Visit Sarah2880's Photo Album 352 Posts
Thank you Michelle!
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 13 2011
06:46:11 PM
Raven2evil Super Glider Visit Raven2evil's Photo Album USA 224 Posts
I'm going to take pictures of Sugar and then of Rosie to show a difference. Sugar has never gotten any protein really and has been on a pellet diet since my grandmother got her and Rosie has been on the HPW for probably 6 weeks or so now. Sugar's beautiful but her coat just looks so bad when you look at Rosies.
Previous | Next |
Page: of 11

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders