Look what Can happen with a Bad diet. :(
Previous | Next |
Page: of 11
Food, Diet
Jul 11 2011
10:09:25 PM
jkr2116 Glider Visit jkr2116's Photo Album USA 185 Posts
Wow, this post is informative but so very sad! I have never seen gliders in these kinds of conditions and have only heard about HLP and cracked fur. The videos made me tear up; I don't know how people just sit by and let them get into that shape in the first place. Bless you all for taking such good care of these little darlings; the after pictures are inspiring!!
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 11 2011
10:54:32 PM
LuuLuu Face Hugger GliderMap Visit LuuLuu's Photo Album USA 970 Posts
ok... so the ones with the cracked fur-- is it easily fixed? how long will it take for the fur to get pretty again? is there anything besides diet that needs to be done in order to get the nice fur back?
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 12 2011
10:28:28 AM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
Sometimes, it's caused by dryness/lack of humidity. Some have added a little bit of Vitamin E to their diet also.
Food, Diet
Jul 12 2011
10:34:57 AM
fazioli Face Hugger Visit fazioli's Photo Album 906 Posts

This was Alvin 2 months ago.

This is Alvin now. It is hard to get decent pics of the little guy now b/c he is just so very busy! lol
I know I posted this on a separate post, but thought it was appropriate to put on this post. Alvin's diet before we rescued him consisted of pellets and a few dried bananas. Now, Alvin is on the Reep's Wombaroo Diet and is thriving!
Food, Diet
Jul 12 2011
10:35:55 AM
sjones5254 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit sjones5254's Photo Album SC, USA 2415 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by kyro298

Sometimes, it's caused by dryness/lack of humidity. Some have added a little bit of Vitamin E to their diet also.

my baby is only 40 grams and crackly fur as well she has been on HPW diet now for 3 weeks and so sign yet of change and i live in SC with lots and lots of humidity. When do you think i will see a improvement? My vet says just keep feeding her a little extra to pack on some poundage LOL
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 12 2011
10:36:24 AM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
WOW! Huge difference! He looks great!
Food, Diet
Jul 12 2011
06:08:09 PM
dpatters28 Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit dpatters28's Photo Album USA 3134 Posts
Alvin looks great!!!

sjones, it could take a few months before you start seeing any noticable difference.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 12 2011
08:11:04 PM
sjones5254 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit sjones5254's Photo Album SC, USA 2415 Posts
Doug i got her to eat a mealie yeah!!!!!
Food, Diet
Jul 12 2011
08:26:31 PM
dpatters28 Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit dpatters28's Photo Album USA 3134 Posts
Yay! Gross for us, but yay for her. LOL
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 14 2011
01:24:13 AM
hypnotist321 Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit hypnotist321's Photo Album hypnotist321's Journal 1742 Posts
Is it safe to switch diets (bml to hpw or others I find here) that are healthy? Mine don't like the BML I was told to feed them - won't touch it. So they basically are only eating the meal worms, yogurt, fruit and veggies... oh, and some bb food. And is there a particular place here where all the good healthy diet staples are listed? My guys hve got to be tired of the same rotating stuff.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 14 2011
01:31:42 AM
YoungGun Face Hugger GliderMap Visit YoungGun's Photo Album LA, USA 526 Posts
Yes its ok to switch and since theyre not touching it I'd change it immediately. Until you get the ingredients try to give them scrambled eggs or boiled chicken. Mealies are high in fat and not adequate for a everyday meal.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 14 2011
11:41:58 AM
hypnotist321 Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit hypnotist321's Photo Album hypnotist321's Journal 1742 Posts
Oh my! Ok, then that's why people say to only give it to them a few and a few times a week! As of now - I'm a changed suggie momma! I can, and will, do the eggs and chicken. They love deer and hamberger (snatched it right off my plate), is any kind of meat ok? (I cook low fat)
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 14 2011
11:56:58 AM
fazioli Face Hugger Visit fazioli's Photo Album 906 Posts
My gliders get boiled chicken twice a month. I boil it in half water and half apple juice. It is very tasty and they go nuts over it!!
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 14 2011
12:12:23 PM
OOoooo :-) I have suggie apple juice on the shelf! Great idea :-) Do yours take bites, suck out the juice and spit out little tounge shaped pieces of chicken when they eat it?
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 14 2011
12:15:07 PM
Yep, they are sapsuckers. They will do this with all food.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 14 2011
12:21:47 PM
LOL They sure are neat to get to know.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 14 2011
03:03:31 PM
YoungGun Face Hugger GliderMap Visit YoungGun's Photo Album LA, USA 526 Posts
The rule of thumb is to only give lean meat. So steak, hamburger, any kind of red meat is high in fat. I'm sure it's ok for a treat every once in a while.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 14 2011
03:06:26 PM
Thanks Younggun :-) I'll stick to turkey, chicken and deer then, and the ccational meal worm.
Food, Diet
Jul 28 2011
04:30:54 PM
angelmom Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Visit angelmom's Photo Album USA 2002 Posts
Here's some comparison shots of one of my rescues Snips.
She was fed whatever the owner was eating for dinner- top ramen, pizza, ect.

Default, miscellaneous
Jul 28 2011
04:35:42 PM
suggielove80 Face Hugger GliderMap Visit suggielove80's Photo Album NY, USA 439 Posts
Poor baby! I'm so glad you saved her! <3

This post is so sad! I wish people wouldn't neglect gliders, or any animal for that matter! I don't understand why someone would want to hurt an animal...I just don't...
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 18 2011
05:57:11 PM
suggiemom02 Face Hugger GliderMap Visit suggiemom02's Photo Album suggiemom02's Journal KY, USA 906 Posts
Bumpp .
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 07 2011
08:47:55 AM
Divins Super Glider Visit Divins's Photo Album 326 Posts
By reading this thread I really learned quite a bit. The previous owner of mine only fed them cat food and fruit loops and they have cracked fur and a really yellow belly and were given to me in a disgusting cage. I've ordered over 500 dollars worth of stuff so in the meantime I'm trying to make his life super great with the little bit of stuff I do have. Eggs, vegetables, fruit, yogart and baby food and once I get an ice cube tray I can start blending them up one of these diets.

That little guy that died made me cry.
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 14 2011
03:39:38 AM
Konotashi Super Glider Konotashi's Journal 271 Posts
What I don't get is how the original owners of all of these babies didn't seem to notice anything was wrong? When a glider is missing half of its hair, is skinny, can't keep its eyes open, is orange from staining, is probably lethargic from malnutrition - doesn't that at least wave SOME type of flag that something is wrong?!
Food, Diet
Sep 14 2011
03:53:20 AM
SugarLoafin Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit SugarLoafin's Photo Album CO, USA 1755 Posts
I think people in general are good at justifying things. Even if it makes a whole lot of no sense!
Food, Diet
Sep 14 2011
09:07:32 AM
Charliebear Face Hugger Visit Charliebear's Photo Album 479 Posts
What i have learned is its where they originally come from and what advice those owners got....I got my first guy from PP...of course he was on a pellet diet and looked horrible ...i emailed the company and asked if it was normal if they turn yellow. Below is my question i emailed them and what they actually answered....Horrible.

(me)2. he is black and white but his white is now turning yellow, is that normal?(PP) They can get a yellow/orange tint to thier lighter fur, this is normal.

What?????? thats not normal!!!! he is off the pellets and beautiful...NO yellow
Food, Diet
Sep 14 2011
10:54:35 AM
Omis n Kais g-ma Pouch Protector Visit Omis n Kais g-ma's Photo Album TX, USA 7524 Posts
Same here. We feed a good diet and while some parts of their fur looks really good, other parts are not quite so pretty.
quote:
Originally posted by Charliebear

What i have learned is its where they originally come from and what advice those owners got....I got my first guy from PP...of course he was on a pellet diet and looked horrible ...i emailed the company and asked if it was normal if they turn yellow. Below is my question i emailed them and what they actually answered....Horrible.

(me)2. he is black and white but his white is now turning yellow, is that normal?(PP) They can get a yellow/orange tint to thier lighter fur, this is normal.

What?????? thats not normal!!!! he is off the pellets and beautiful...NO yellow

Food, Diet
Sep 14 2011
12:09:46 PM
newSGlover Glider Visit newSGlover's Photo Album 124 Posts
After getting my little guy on a better diet he is look so much better, I think I remember reading that dry air can still cause some of the cracking...this might be the problem now,

any suggestions on how to change this? Would a humidifyer near his cage help?
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 14 2011
12:49:56 PM
Charliebear Face Hugger Visit Charliebear's Photo Album 479 Posts
yes and ad some vitamin E. to their food.
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 14 2011
05:57:54 PM
suggiemom02 Face Hugger GliderMap Visit suggiemom02's Photo Album suggiemom02's Journal KY, USA 906 Posts
Bump
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 31 2011
10:16:55 PM
viciousencounters Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit viciousencounters's Photo Album viciousencounters's Journal NM, USA 2907 Posts
Bump
Previous | Next |
Page: of 11

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders