Look what Can happen with a Bad diet. :(
Previous | Next |
Page: of 11
Default, miscellaneous
Nov 04 2012
08:32:40 AM
chevylady20 Super Glider Visit chevylady20's Photo Album USA 209 Posts
Mibo pellets aren't a good diet, I know some on here give them as treats during the day but really your baby need to be a staple diet since she is a sap sucker. As for her not eating the HPW it takes a few days for them to adjust to a new food just keep putting that in her bowl along with the fruits and veggies and I promise she will eat it. Hope this helps:)
Food, Diet
Nov 04 2012
08:39:05 AM
bschuettler Face Hugger Visit bschuettler's Photo Album bschuettler's Journal USA 406 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by mibo

My glider is on pellets, but she looks perfectly fine. She doesn't take HPW or whatsoever though. Just apples.

She may seem fine but there is a lot of research showing that pellets can be very harmful to the health of gliders. I would get her on a recognized diet as soon as you can. I agree with Chevy 100% that at first at may take them a bit to get use to a new diet, but they will.

Edited by - bschuettler on Nov 04 2012 08:41:18 AM
Food, Diet
Nov 04 2012
10:39:11 AM
GliderLove94 Fuzzy Wuzzy Gliderpedia Editor Visit GliderLove94's Photo Album GliderLove94's Journal 1153 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by bschuettler

quote:
Originally posted by mibo

My glider is on pellets, but she looks perfectly fine. She doesn't take HPW or whatsoever though. Just apples.

She may seem fine but there is a lot of research showing that pellets can be very harmful to the health of gliders. I would get her on a recognized diet as soon as you can. I agree with Chevy 100% that at first at may take them a bit to get use to a new diet, but they will.

I agree. My rescued sugar glider was on pellets from the start. She developed Hind Leg Paralysis, had low protein, and low calcium. She was on pellets for 1 year, and it's not easy undoing the damage. Sometimes it can be irreversible and the damage can be permanent. She looked close to the picture kyro posted on the first page, including the amputated tail, but she was very underweight.

Edited by - GliderLove94 on Nov 04 2012 10:42:37 AM
Food, Diet
Nov 04 2012
02:04:51 PM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
Mine (on the first page) passed away from liver disease due to previous years of poor diet per necropsy. It was irreversible by the time I got him. His primary source of food was pellets.

I learned a long time ago, that it was almost a no-brainer if you just simply look at the first few ingredients. Here's a link that lists a lot of the pellet foods.

http://www.sweet-sugar-gliders.com/Pellet%20Food%20Analysis%20-%20Quick%20View.pdf

If the first few ingredients are corn and/or fillers, it's junk. Period.

Edited by - kyro298 on Nov 04 2012 02:08:59 PM
Food, Diet
Nov 27 2012
12:01:00 PM
GliderLove94 Fuzzy Wuzzy Gliderpedia Editor Visit GliderLove94's Photo Album GliderLove94's Journal 1153 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by GliderLove94

Results of a long term pellet, yogurt, and apple diet from her previous home, minus the brown, which went away after being on BML.

After

Default, miscellaneous
Dec 03 2012
11:05:06 AM
JustinP Glider Visit JustinP's Photo Album JustinP's Journal 52 Posts
SOMEONE PLEASE REPLY FAST!
My mother wants to get a glider (I have been researching for a while.) and well she thinks that pellets and apple is okay! She also wants to buy from pocket pets and wants to feed their diet! After all the research i have done OMG I DONT WANT HER TO USE THE DIET THAT THEY SAY TO USE!! But my mom is convinced its like they have brainwashed her that only one glider is okay and that pellet with little bit of fruit is okay (they say just a slice of apple at night) she thinks its better because its cheaper and they say that it is better for them when it isn't! I have tried to explain to my mom a lot. She says that we don't need two and that as long as we are home all day we can just have one! UGHHHH! She also doesn't want to use the whole diet I was talking with her all about before we agreed on until she found stupid POCKET PETS! PLEASE HELP! HOW DO I CONVINCE HER THAT THIS IS THE WORST DECISION AND THAT IF SHE ONLY WANTS TO GET ONE AND FEED PELLETS THAT WE CANNOT GET - OR ARE NOT READY - FOR A GLIDER!
Food, Diet
Dec 03 2012
11:28:24 AM
Omis n Kais g-ma Pouch Protector Visit Omis n Kais g-ma's Photo Album TX, USA 7524 Posts
Why not put mom on this forum and have her read and look at the pictures and stories? Thank you so much for being proactive here. The fact that she would say you cannot have a glider because you refuse to feed it pellets is crazy! Tell her fine, you'll offer the pellets in the daytime as treats but have a good/real diet for their main source of nutrition. Many offer pellets for daytime snacks. A pellet only diet in my opinion is the easy way out of feeding a high maintenance pet. Be sure mom has secured a good exotic vet as well first. Don't wait until you need one. You need two or more, a nice big cage 1/2 inch bar spacing, a glider safe wheel. Of course you know all this as you've done research. Unfortunately, mm has not and needs to. Please send her here to ask questions.
quote:
Originally posted by JustinP

SOMEONE PLEASE REPLY FAST!
My mother wants to get a glider (I have been researching for a while.) and well she thinks that pellets and apple is okay! She also wants to buy from pocket pets and wants to feed their diet! After all the research i have done OMG I DONT WANT HER TO USE THE DIET THAT THEY SAY TO USE!! But my mom is convinced its like they have brainwashed her that only one glider is okay and that pellet with little bit of fruit is okay (they say just a slice of apple at night) she thinks its better because its cheaper and they say that it is better for them when it isn't! I have tried to explain to my mom a lot. She says that we don't need two and that as long as we are home all day we can just have one! UGHHHH! She also doesn't want to use the whole diet I was talking with her all about before we agreed on until she found stupid POCKET PETS! PLEASE HELP! HOW DO I CONVINCE HER THAT THIS IS THE WORST DECISION AND THAT IF SHE ONLY WANTS TO GET ONE AND FEED PELLETS THAT WE CANNOT GET - OR ARE NOT READY - FOR A GLIDER!

Default, miscellaneous
Dec 03 2012
03:02:15 PM
shadow Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit shadow's Photo Album MO, USA 2332 Posts
its probably best if she talks to someone over the phone.
www.luckyglider.org/luckyglider_005.htm call ed and have her talk to him. he runs a huge glider rescue. they are also a legal rescue/charity so they are not just some random people.
can you tell us what state you are in maybe there is someone near you or someone knows of a good vet that can talk to your mom about glider care or the vet can call these numbers to get more info about gliders

Below is a list of Veterinarians that specialize in Sugar Gliders if your veterinarian does not know much about them, they will ONLY talk to another vet so you need to get to a vet and ask them to call one of these people!
• Dr. Tim Tristan •
361-994-1145

• Dr. Bradley Walsh •
918-258-0040

• Dr. Andrew Grzanowski •
734-459-1400

maybe she will listen to a vet.

i suggest you start another thread. you might get more responses that way.
Food, Diet
Dec 03 2012
04:15:07 PM
Omis n Kais g-ma Pouch Protector Visit Omis n Kais g-ma's Photo Album TX, USA 7524 Posts
Time Tristan consulted with my vet here in San Antonio. Dr. Tristans office is like 2 hours away so I went ahead and took them to him once. He is awesome. I believe Dr. Welch is the vet Ed and Gail, Lucky Glider Rescue uses. Yep she really needs to speak to someone who really knows about all the things she thinks are okay. Good luck.

Good call Shadow
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 03 2012
05:04:09 PM
viciousencounters Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit viciousencounters's Photo Album viciousencounters's Journal NM, USA 2907 Posts
I don't have the link right now but as it turns out the amount of pellets they sell you compared to a nectar replacement is not comparable. The nectar replacements end up being cheaper plus diets are the biggest reason gliders end up dying young or racking up vet bills so you safe money in the long run and the short term.

There is also a document that shows PP and AGSV (the YouTube vet) is actually a fictious organization. They do this to maximize their sales and make people think they are easy to care for. Definitely have her talk to the non-profit rescue Lucky Glider.
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 03 2012
06:46:45 PM
JustinP Glider Visit JustinP's Photo Album JustinP's Journal 52 Posts
thankyou i showed my mom this site and she is all fine with kazko's diet (look it up on gliderpedia) but my dad is still stuck on the crap their "vets" say about you cant get adult ones UGHHHHHHH! showing him site asap
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 03 2012
07:16:25 PM
shadow Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit shadow's Photo Album MO, USA 2332 Posts
you should give the vet those numbers. not only will it help you but it will also help other gliders and glider owners in the future. my 2 boys were one or two years old when i adopted them years ago and my bond with them is great.
good luck! if you need any help finding a glider to adopt/rescue or want to buy from a breeder we can help you find a good one.
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 10 2012
09:47:31 PM
bigjon Glider Visit bigjon's Photo Album 132 Posts
I'm new with them I know thay will only eat what thay want but feeding them pellets that are made for them and treats that are made for them and fruit and vegetables wont do that will it and I give them 2 mellworms a day a peace is but I have thare regular food and thare treats and veggies are fruit in thare at all times is this won't hurt them will it
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 10 2012
09:51:28 PM
Pellets are not a good staple. This thread is full of sugar gliders that have been on them and have been rehabilitated.

Edited by - GliderLove94 on Dec 10 2012 09:52:23 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 10 2012
10:22:12 PM
It is the food I got when I got the female from sugar gliders are us it's called tottie fruitie and I give them tests that are made for them and veggies and fresh fruits I was wondering is this good for them couse they get veggies are fruits every day as will as thare regular food
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 10 2012
11:47:05 PM
They should be fed one of these recommended diets http://www.sugarglider.com/gliderpedia/index.asp?Diet
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 11 2012
09:07:35 AM
If I put them on one of these diets can I still give them fruits and veggies every day thay love them
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 11 2012
10:00:25 AM
sierranevadaK Face Hugger Visit sierranevadaK's Photo Album sierranevadaK's Journal USA 804 Posts
Yes, like we've been telling you in your other post, fruits and veggies should be fed ALONG WITH a recognized staple diet.
Food, Diet
Dec 11 2012
11:17:52 AM
My Gypsy's fur looks like this but it is also winter and I run the heater so the fur is probably dried out a little. I guess like they've said before, try a humidifier. I've always thought and this is my personal opinion that during the winter they get thicker coats like cats and dogs. To me, that would definitely explain the cracked look(too much hair). Then come the warmer months, the extra fur starts falling out a little at a time. I notice it all the time after I clean the cage and the cage is in front of a window. I see the fur stuck to the cage. Thats just my PO.
quote:

quote:

Results of a long term pellet, yogurt, and apple diet from her previous home, minus the brown, which went away after being on BML.

After

Food, Diet
Dec 11 2012
03:41:38 PM
helenmac Glider Visit helenmac's Photo Album 133 Posts
This is Tate she is 18months old andd can hardly use her back legs, she was fed on a very bad diet by her last owner. i have had her a week now, hopefully further down the line i have be able to post some pictures of her looking a lot better, fingers crossed
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 11 2012
03:58:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Omis n Kais g-ma

My Gypsy's fur looks like this but it is also winter and I run the heater so the fur is probably dried out a little. I guess like they've said before, try a humidifier. I've always thought and this is my personal opinion that during the winter they get thicker coats like cats and dogs. To me, that would definitely explain the cracked look(too much hair). Then come the warmer months, the extra fur starts falling out a little at a time. I notice it all the time after I clean the cage and the cage is in front of a window. I see the fur stuck to the cage. Thats just my PO.

I'm sure winter doesn't help, but her fur was always cracked, not so much anymore. She just has very little on her shoulders now, but it's nowhere as bad as the first pic. She was brown all over when I got her and cracked all over. Every part of her under side was brown too. You couldn't have spotted an inch of white. Wish I would have taken pictures then. The people had several others, but I could only afford to take one and she was the one worst off. I'm just glad that they took the time to take care of her tail instead of leaving it untreated.

I've noticed fur on the cage too. I thought it was lint at first.

Edited by - GliderLove94 on Dec 11 2012 04:01:26 PM
Food, Diet
Dec 11 2012
04:01:08 PM
Awe, poor Tate. She certainly isn't giving up. Looking forward to seeing pictures of her when she is getting better
quote:
Originally posted by helenmac

This is Tate she is 18months old andd can hardly use her back legs, she was fed on a very bad diet by her last owner. i have had her a week now, hopefully further down the line i have be able to post some pictures of her looking a lot better, fingers crossed

Food, Diet
Dec 11 2012
04:04:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by helenmac

Good luck to Tate.
Hoping she will make a speedy recovery.
Food, Diet
Dec 19 2012
03:00:55 PM

Here is a photo i took tonight of Tate, she has put a little weight on and is using her hind legs better although she still walks like Charlie Chaplin! she also still eats with only one hand as she still needs three feet on the floor to steady herself, it will be a huge milestone when she can sit up and eat like a normal glider.

Edited by - helenmac on Dec 19 2012 03:02:16 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 19 2012
09:18:52 PM
Glad she is doing a little better. Poor girl.
Food, Diet
Jan 08 2013
04:18:12 PM
Here is Tate again tonight. i have found her breeder and she turns out to actually be nearer 4 years old, not 18 month as i was told. i hope you can see a little more improvement. she is moving a lot better now but i still havent seen her jump yet.
As you can see, i still cant work out how to post photos, its in my albums if you want to take a look
javascript:self.parent.imageleft('/glidergossip/Photos/10420/20130108161942P1088266.JPG')

Edited by - helenmac on Jan 08 2013 04:22:00 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 08 2013
04:28:42 PM
Helen88uk Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Helen88uk's Photo Album United Kingdom 1774 Posts
She's looking better already! Hope she makes a full recovery fast :)
Food, Diet
Jan 08 2013
08:39:25 PM
helenmac, have you gotten Tate a fecal?
Food, Diet
Jan 09 2013
10:10:52 PM
amanda8111993 Glider Visit amanda8111993's Photo Album 104 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Tevi

This is my little boy, Suggie. I acquired him from a woman who kept him on a diet of fruits, pellets and parrot biscuits. A day after I got Suggie, I went online, ordered his rep-cal vitamins and got him started on BML asap. Now about half a year later, he's got a healthy, non-cracked coat!

i was browsing the web on what kinds of stuff to feed my two surgar gliders and i came across these pictures. I was totally unaware that the little ripples in their fur was a sign of a poor diet, when we first got are surgar gliders they lady gave us the BML diet and she also pre-mixed us some. Well we noticed that are gliders used the BML diet as a last choice meal, so we stopped making it. We just gave them apple juice mixed with water,green beans, fresh carrorts, frozen peas and green beans and fruit wise we gave them apple, mangoes, pears and we trying out bananas now and as treats we have mealworms, frozen crickets and parents choice yogurt bites, they go crazy for the yogurt bites! And sometimes for breakfest ill make them oatmeal, made with baby oatmeal ceral,apple juice and honey. They ripples are not as bad as they was when we first had them but now im a little worried!
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 10 2013
07:22:16 AM
DebC810 Glider Visit DebC810's Photo Album USA 166 Posts
amanda, they need a good protein source. HPW is good. Crickets and meal worms are ok as a treat, but should not be used as a main source of protein. You could also give boiled chicken breast or scrambbled eggs. I would also try giving a larger variety of veggies too
Previous | Next |
Page: of 11

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders