Gliderpedia Discussion
Discussion: CaptiveDiet
Previous |
Page: of 2
Default, miscellaneous
May 03 2008
12:18:34 PM
Eric C Retired GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Eric C's Photo Album Eric C's Journal TX, USA 2321 Posts
SET, thanks for adding your thoughts to this.

The middle ground on this exists, in my opinion, in the forum where diet questions are often asked, as well as sugar glider forums on other sites, and even sites that offer lists of various internet diets.

I'm not sure the situation where an owner is misinformed by someone at a pet store or flea market is applicable to this. The reason why I think this is because from my experience those people simply assume that what they're told is true, thus they don't make an effort to research more about dietary needs. Those that do tend to research diets end up on many sites and learn about many diets. Those are the people that tend to post in a forum asking "which diet is best" questions.

I'm not especially worried that for those that actually do search for diet information that this one particular page is a show stopper that prevents them from finding the huge stash of information on the internet. However, I do agree with your last paragraph. If you feel up to it, click the Edit Profile at the top of the page and become a gliderpedia editor, and start adding diets.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 30 2009
08:20:49 PM
MilosMomma Starting Member USA 3 Posts
My glider is thriving on the below listed diet.
( note : to avoid odor he does not eat meat )
cucumber
carrot
sweet potato
broccoli
apple
bread ( glucose )
pear
organic snack mix ( yum-e-treats )
glide-a-mins ( 3x week )
glide-r-chow
2x week dollop apple sauce
dollop yogurt 2x per month
nibble of one of my crackers or all natural juice popcicle.
piece of hard boiled egg 1x week
I stay away from anything I have read warnings about ( grapes, banana, baby food, cat food, etc )
He's active, loving, sleek, good stool and no odor.
I'm a Vet Tech so I strive to research and do my best for any of my critters!!
Default, miscellaneous
May 15 2011
12:36:56 AM
thepetguy Starting Member 2 Posts
i worked at a pet store for years and if its one thing i learned while there it was ppl liked to know a good diet but also not so "pricey". atleast thats the majority of the ppl that are looking for something for there pets. some are the higher end and will feed there pets the absolute nest quality of food available to your pet at any cost. then there are the ppl that buy the most basic 10$ bag of food and then let there pet snack on stuff at home (not to healthy but yes people do it). but on the subject of how it should go to listing foods at my pet store for most pets ppl werent familiar with like not everyone has a lizard and even fewer still have a sugar glider u will always find a noob.what we did was create a list of the most palatable foods in catagories and put them on a list it was up to the pet owner to decide which ones they liked to use and which ones the pet itself liked i dont think u can just throw a diet out there and expect a pet to just fall in love with it gotta try lots of things out. as long as they are told a well to keep a regular feeding schedule and basic rules on variety and how much to give im sure ppl will do just fine.like what u get from your local pet store what u get from your local grocery store what u get from the vet not really in that order but u get the idea. and then maybe a list of reliable help links with different opinions (cuz u know we are all full of em) and leave it to that. =)
Default, miscellaneous
May 15 2011
12:43:55 AM
thepetguy Starting Member 2 Posts
u know i also think that people are also concentrating maybe a lil toooo much on what a sugar glider should eat. what about what a sugar glider should not eat will not eat and will actually kill it if eaten. well i mean of course without the need to actually tell ppl dont give your pet bleach lol if u dont think thats a wrong thing to do then well dont ever own a pet but still it would be good knowledge to know what u cant feed your pet as well
Default, miscellaneous
May 15 2011
09:47:19 AM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
Wow, this thread was almost 2 1/2 years old. I'm not sure any of those posters will see your response. You could always start a new diet discussion under "Sugar Gliders" too. People would definitely respond and talk about it.
Previous |
Page: of 2

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Gliderpedia Discussion