Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Thinking of a Sugar Glider?
Research Information
Jan 04 2011
10:35:49 AM
Post the best advice to potential new owners here!

This is about selecting a glider:

I'm borrowing this from Kozi -

I think it should be a "sticky" on every forum!

This will give you some tips on where NOT to purchase your suggie as well as how to tell if the suggie you're interested in is too young to leave it's parents yet. This isn't meant to scare anyone off of buying gliders, but there are a lot of shady people out there! Please take a look at this to make sure you get the healthiest suggie you can!

Anybody that recommends a heat rock.
If your suggie is fully weaned and ready to leave mom and dad it can regulate it’s temperature on it’s own and does not need a heat rock. Not only that but heat rocks are dangerous and can possibly kill your suggie!

Any breeder or Broker that claims you have to feed their diet. Such as a pellet food with an apple and a slice of bread or a bird food diet or just a plain pellet food. Sugar gliders are omnivores and need a wide variety of protein, fruits, and fresh vegetables. Any reputible breeder should have their gliders on one of the approved diets and NOT require you to use it, they will let you decide if you want to keep the suggies on it or not. (Though if you decide to switch please wean them off of it! They need time to adjust to the new diet.)

A person that recommends a small bird cage or a parakeet cage for an animal that is arboreal. That means it spends most of it’s time in the tree tops. The smallest cage should be at least 2 feet wide by 2 feet deep by 3 feet high Or the equivalent by going three feet tall and three feet wide. The tallest cage you can find or build the happier your babies will be in their LARGE home. MANY breeders build custom cages and would be happy to help give you tips on building your own!

Someone who tells you sugar gliders are super easy to own and cost next to nothing to take care of. They are an exotic critter which means a special vet or an extra cost just because they are an exotic and not like a cat or dog. Some gliders require more time to adjust to their new home and new family, also if scared and pushed can draw blood when they bite. They require a lot of socialization from their new human parents as well as a lot of patience so you don’t scare your new baby. These animals also live up to 15 years, it's not like a hamster by ANY means.

Anybody that is in a public place or that brings a group of joeys for you to see that are all lumped together in one cage. There is no way of telling who is related to who. The person can not tell you about the individual personality of any of the babies such as who may crab, who is a rough groomer, or what their favorite food is, etc. Generally if anyone has this many joeys together they're breeding many pairs, pulling the joeys as soon as they feel like it and tossing them all together so they keep track of how many they have for sale. Generally, a Mill.

The tails on the joeys should not be smooth looking they should have a full fluffy tail. Any smooth tailed joeys are under four weeks old and WAY too young to be away from their parents. The person should also know when the joey came out of pouch, which is like a second birthday. They should be at least 8-12 weeks old depending on what they looked like when they came out of pouch.

A joey that makes a baby-like cry when held or put on a strange surface. A fully weaned joey will not cry for his/her parents as they can eat, drink, and potty on their own. Another sign of a too young joey is if it rides on another gliders back it is way too young to be away from it’s parents. A weaned suggie will not ride around on another gliders back. Except for mating behavior.

A baby glider that walks and looks kind of like a dog that is walking through tall grass and is trying not to get their feet or legs wet after a rain storm. A baby that is all sprawled out on all fours and that is not steady as it walks or that is not sure footed is definitely to young to leave its parents!

Any person that will NOT let you see the sugar glider before you purchase your new family member.

A breeder or broker that will not let you handle the suggie and play with it before you buy it. You need to see if that sugar glider or baby glider will accept you or if it is tame or has been handled by the breeder. I've heard of pet stores refusing to handle joeys before they go home because they will 'bond' with an employee. No such thing. Gliders NEED to be handled from a young age so they are familiar with humans. It IS normal for your newly purchased suggie to crab somewhat and be a little jumpy. They will take time to adjust to their new home and new owner.. but if they are like this even when held by the seller, they are likely not hand-tame at all.

Any sales method that is geared toward children. Suggies can be a family pet but they are not a good starter pet for kids. Gliders are not a good pet for children to have the responsibility of feeding and bonding to an animal that can and will draw blood if scared and also may like to nip or be a groomer.

Any person that says a glider will get along with any other pet, such as a cat, dog, or ferret. Or that they bond easily to other animals or can be housed together. Gliders should not be let loose with any other animal whether it is supervised or not. If you have a cat or dog that chases animals outside in the wild, they will chase a suggie.

Any sales person or breeder that says suggies don’t bite hard enough to draw blood or that they won't bite at all. Any animal that is scared and that is pushed into a corner can and will bite to defend itself. Any critter that has teeth can bite. Expect at the very LEAST nibbles. Gliders like to taste things, they will do this to you! (Usually it's just a very light pinch!)

Anybody that says they won’t potty on you. Or anyone who says they are litterbox trainable, can wear diapers, etc. Gliders generally poo/pee as SOON as they wake up. Let them do this IN their cage before taking them out and handling them and usually you're fine.. though they will go potty on you, they don't know the difference. It's small like mouse poop and usually a small amount of pee so it's easily cleaned up and doesn't stain that I've noticed.

Anybody that tells you or shows you how to bond or stop a glider from nipping or biting by physical force.
You have to use common sense in bonding/training your suggie as to not use any physical force that could hurt or kill your baby glider. The ONLY type of verbal or physical discipline technique that CAN be used on a glider is the behavior the moms and dads use toward their babies. It is subtle at first and WILL NOT hurt your glider. You try to mimic the behavior that you observe between male and females and also the way the parents teach the baby gliders what behaviors they will tolerate. You use a loving touch and do not scare the glider into crabbing or lunging and biting your hand. You may get groomed or nipped until they understand your glider talk. I often go 'Tsssst', you'll get the idea when you hear your suggie.. it's usually a Stop that, or That's mine! type of noise that distracts/stops them from what they're doing.

Anyone who tells you a single glider will be fine by it's self. A pair is always better together. A trio is fine too! But either way, gliders are COLONY animals in the wild. There's nothing like it when you see it in person. They're always chittering, chirping, barking. They are very talkative and social animals. Usually they will all sleep in one pouch together! A single glider can often get depressed and even die from self mutilation. It's always best to get at least two suggies!

Edited to add:
Anyone who offers "needs very little vet care" or "no vet care" as a selling point. It is true that sugar gliders do not need routine shots, like dogs or cats. However, they are an exotic animal, and when something goes wrong, you need to have a vet that you know will treat sugar gliders, and you need to know how to reach that vet at 2 in the morning! Gliders are nocturnal, and often you won't notice illness until after "normal office hours." Because of this, and because they are exotic, you can expect high vet bills when they get sick.

Do not buy:

Any sugar gliders fur that is matted looking or wet looking could be a sign of a parasite or bacterial infection.

Any glider that is lethargic and not awake looking at things that are going on around them. They should be aware of movement in their area. A suggie can freeze when scared but in a few seconds to a minute will take a treat or at least be aware of their surroundings.

A suggie that will not eat it’s favorite treat.

A wet tail or poop that is matted to their rear end or their tail can be a sign of illness. If they are not grooming themselves. It also can mean that they are too young to be a way from the parents as they can help and teach the babies to groom themselves. Not grooming themselves properly can also be a sign of mental illness from being alone for too long.

The eyes that don’t look full of life and are dull looking, blueish color, or that look infected or have a lot of gunk in them.

The ears that constantly stay down and that don’t stand up when sweet talked to, or that look dry or scaley.

Greasy or sticky fur can be a sign of an illness or too many gliders together in dirty conditions.

Their fur should be shiny and very smooth and soft to the touch. Diet can also effect their fur quality.

A skinny sugar glider where the ribs are showing and wobbly as they walk can be a sickly glider or a sign of dehydration.

Any suggie that has loose or watery stools. Any poop or pee that has a very strong or foul odor.

Credit: http://www.kryskritters.com/Buyer_Beware.html & http://kozigliders.com/
Research Information
Jan 04 2011
10:38:32 AM
valkyriemome Goofy Gorillatoes Visit valkyriemome's Photo Album USA 3479 Posts
I'd also like to add -

Before you get a sugar glider, get a vet! You need to have a regular vet who you have confirmed will treat your sugar glider and you need to have an emergency vet, available 24/7. This needs to be done before you ever bring your sugar glider home.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 04 2011
10:47:19 AM
Sister Sue Super Glider GliderMap Visit Sister Sue's Photo Album FL, USA 201 Posts
This is a great post I wish I would have seen this before I got mine,I would have been more informed
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 04 2011
10:50:13 AM
Sister Sue Super Glider GliderMap Visit Sister Sue's Photo Album FL, USA 201 Posts
Oh forgot to ask.
Can I print this if I need this year at the fair?
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 04 2011
10:53:42 AM
renee14150 Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit renee14150's Photo Album 1850 Posts
maybe debunk the "you can only bond with a joey" theory - i see that a lot.
and maybe expand on the diet section stating that feeding pellets can result in illness and possibly death.
this is great:)
Research Information
Jan 04 2011
11:00:21 AM
Omis n Kais g-ma Pouch Protector Visit Omis n Kais g-ma's Photo Album TX, USA 7524 Posts
Thumbs way up!!!!!!!!!!!
Research Information
Jan 04 2011
10:17:19 PM
Essika Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Essika's Photo Album Essika's Journal ON, CA 581 Posts
Not to mention you have to be strong enough to deal with the pain of what feels like losing a child
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 04 2011
10:26:38 PM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
Bookmarked! Awesome, Alden!
Research Information
Jan 04 2011
10:40:52 PM
Kozi Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit Kozi's Photo Album Kozi's Journal WI, USA 1278 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Sister Sue

Oh forgot to ask.
Can I print this if I need this year at the fair?

Print print print! It's mostly Krys' but I added/edited some so.. :o Both our links are at the bottom!

I'd love for more people to see this! ;-;
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 05 2011
04:00:22 PM
Bump!

It is my hope that glider owners will share what they have learned in this thread. What does someone considering gliders need to know?
Research Information
Jan 05 2011
05:03:17 PM
Omis n Kais g-ma Pouch Protector Visit Omis n Kais g-ma's Photo Album TX, USA 7524 Posts
Diet, sleeping habits, how to house them, potential health risks such as bites to yourself and others, they potty on you with no warning and cannot be potty trained dispite some saying they can. The female can get pregnant again even with a joey in pouch. How to clean their belongings, I could go on and on because we didn't know all this in the begining. Mostly, be ready for the challenge and adventure of a lifetime. These little critters can live to be 15 or so if taken care of correctly.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 05 2011
05:30:20 PM
Yes, OnK's g-ma! I think you are a great one to add to this thread, since you're relatively new yourself and had a tough start-up! You've been through the works - because of the things you were NOT told when you started.

Please expound on your thoughts when you have time!
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 05 2011
06:07:47 PM
Angela Super Glider GliderMap Visit Angela's Photo Album USA 331 Posts
Have only had my fur babies about a month and so am very new at all this, I love how everything on here has helped me to learn more about feeding and caring of my new family. Thank you everybody!!!
Research Information
Jan 05 2011
07:00:08 PM
Thanks and I will later when my conure isn't biting my ear. She needs attention apparently.
quote:
Originally posted by valkyriemome

Yes, OnK's g-ma! I think you are a great one to add to this thread, since you're relatively new yourself and had a tough start-up! You've been through the works - because of the things you were NOT told when you started.

Please expound on your thoughts when you have time!

Research Information
Jan 05 2011
07:15:22 PM
KatFarrell Face Hugger GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit KatFarrell's Photo Album KatFarrell's Journal USA 558 Posts
quote:
"Anybody that tells you or shows you how to bond or stop a glider from nipping or biting by physical force. You have to use common sense in bonding/training your suggie as to not use any physical force that could hurt or kill your baby glider. The ONLY type of verbal or physical discipline technique that CAN be used on a glider is the behavior the moms and dads use toward their babies. It is subtle at first and WILL NOT hurt your glider. You try to mimic the behavior that you observe between male and females and also the way the parents teach the baby gliders what behaviors they will tolerate. You use a loving touch and do not scare the glider into crabbing or lunging and biting your hand. You may get groomed or nipped until they understand your glider talk. I often go 'Tsssst', you'll get the idea when you hear your suggie.. it's usually a Stop that, or That's mine! type of noise that distracts/stops them from what they're doing."

Um...what about new sugar glider owners who do not have a breeding pair? Besides a 'tsssst', does anyone have any safe disiplinary tips? (Yes, I believe that any 'child' needs to have a firm but gentle guiding hand.) I've heard of one technique of blowing in their face: this seems to be a world-wide animal disiplinary act - cause none of them seem to like it. What do you all think?

Now for my addition to the tips forum:

Avoid pet stores & internet websites, it's always best to buy a pet face to face - preferably in its typical environment. This way you can look at cleanlieness, search for signs of health & intellegence, & take a look at how the seller treats them. It adds a bit of resurance to the whole transaction.

Ask questions, do your research; avoid people that give you 'cookie cutter answers'. Cookie cutter answers are what I always got from Pocket Pets after I bought Fritz, read all their materials, & watched all their videos. It all sounded the same, even if I was looking for clarification or wanted to go on a tangent. This shows either a disconect between the experts & the customer service department or shows a lack of information about the pet at hand.

Hopefully these help!
Research Information
Jan 05 2011
07:22:53 PM
Can I add don't buy from anyone offering 1 or 2 years worth of food? We all know that means pellets. And if it's that much, they probably aren't a quality pellet. Unless they plan on coming over to your house daily/weekly to make the meals. Yeah, I thought not.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders