Sugar Gliders
Why is her chin pinkish?
Next |
Page: of 2
Why is her chin pinkish?
Health related
Aug 05 2018
08:04:05 PM
I've recently noticed my female gliders chin is rather pink and look like it doesn't have fur on that spot. is something wrong with her?
Health related
Aug 05 2018
08:10:12 PM
MollyAndOlivia Glider Visit MollyAndOlivia's Photo Album 59 Posts
She also walks a little strange sometimes

At random times she walks in that position
Health related
Aug 06 2018
09:49:02 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
very hard to tell from that still and fussy picture.
it almost looks they she is rubbing on the bars, but usually its my males that do that to make their scent on their territory.
but that is just a wield guess.
Health related
Aug 06 2018
10:58:12 AM
The picture is fuzzy, it wouldn't let me insert the video of her walking so let me try again. What about her chin area. I'm pretty concerned about it because it just randomly appeared pink . She also has been pulling open her pouch and grooming it or something out in the open?
Health related
Aug 06 2018
11:11:26 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
yeh that pic doesn't really show us much. need a clear picture of her face and chin.

If she is cleaning her pouch a lot she probably has a joey or two in there. Her cagemate is an intact male....
Health related
Aug 06 2018
11:27:30 AM
Can anybody tell me how to insert a video? I was super sure that she had joeys just wanted to make sure. I'm also going to try and get a clear picture of her chin.
Health related
Aug 06 2018
11:49:08 AM

It came out upside down but here's her chin.
Health related
Aug 06 2018
12:20:14 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
It's still a bit blurry, if it's swollen it could be an abscess, it could also be her rubbing on something... it's to blurry when blown up to really tell.

video explanation will take a minute.. but I'll try lol
Health related
Aug 06 2018
12:22:30 PM
I know it's still blurry she wouldn't stay still lol. She's still active and eating and drinking well which is great.
Health related
Aug 06 2018
12:31:39 PM
it's easiest if the video is uploaded to youtube, if it's on youtube already this is how to do it.

Highlight the address and copy it then come back to the post on here.

click on the video thingy

it will insert this when you do

When you see that in the typing box put your cursor right in the middle of them where the red line is.

and paste the video url as shown here, make sure there are no spaces.

then hit post new reply

Edited by - Leela on Aug 06 2018 12:35:48 PM
Health related
Aug 06 2018
12:38:48 PM
Health related
Aug 06 2018
12:40:23 PM
She doesn't walk like this always. It's just random times at night or so.
Health related
Aug 06 2018
12:46:19 PM
hm, does she get constipated? does she make any noises when walking like that? are her nails trimmed regularly?

what diet are you feeding, include everything please

snacks? also include everything please

Health related
Aug 06 2018
12:55:01 PM
She isn't constipated. She hasn't made noise while walking in that position she will just do that and continue eating or playing. She basically acts active and normal that's the only thing besides her chin that's throws me off. Their nails are trimmed every one to two weeks.

I feed Critter Love complete. For snacks I feed papaya, mealworms, yogurt drops sometimes, and cantaloupe.
Health related
Aug 06 2018
01:10:34 PM
ok. Just need to ask questions to get the bigger picture and rule anything out we can....

She could be experiencing seizures of some kind.

Seizures are not uncommon but i've only experienced seizing when a glider is just about to pass and those are a bit different than this.

Sherri Lamb has a glider that has environmental stress seizures you could contact her n see what she thinks. https://www.facebook.com/sherri.saarinenlamb

For the jaw, keep trying to get pics of it, even try when she is sleeping i get some great facial pic close up when they are asleep in the pouch...

keep an eye on it for any swelling, and check over your cage and every thing in it very well for any rough spots or fur stuck to anything.

Also watch and see if her mate is grooming that area aggressively, it may be him that is doing it.

If swelling happens it's likely an abscess and she will need antibiotics, but bare in mind you need to confirm if she does indeed have joeys in pouch so the vet takes that into consideration before prescribing any meds or doing xrays.
Health related
Aug 06 2018
01:25:26 PM
Okay. Thank you so much you are such a big help to me. I'm sure there are joeys because she has been suddenly interested in her pouch and when I took a picture of her chin I felt a bump in her stomach which could halve been the Joey. It may be hard to take pictures when they're sleeping because they curl up and their head faces down. Me and my dad are going to take them to the vet as soon as we can. We will also get the male a checkup to make sure he's doing okay too. I just hope my glider will be okay.
Health related
Aug 06 2018
01:27:23 PM
My male also always grooms her but it's always the top of her head or her back.
Health related
Aug 06 2018
01:40:03 PM
:) any time.

She most likely does then, you can add another portion of the critter love complete and salad portion to her cage while the joeys are in pouch.

This will provide mom with extra if she needs it while nursing. When they come out of pouch that extra portion becomes the joeys portion when mom and dad start to ween them and mom eats less of it.

Please be prepared if this is the first time they have had joeys. First time parents are not always successful or ready.

I would def contact Sherri about how she moves, she would have a better idea if its seizure like than anyone else I know including most vets lol. You can tell her Carla Yokom sent you to her if that helps.
Health related
Aug 06 2018
02:02:48 PM
I'll definitely put another portion of critter love also considering they always lick the plate clean lol. I'm getting them the critter love chicken kibble Incase when she is nursing she doesn't eat at night and in daytime she wants a snack. This is their first time.

I contacted her and I'm still waiting for her reply. I'm taking the to the vet this weekend for a checkup also.
Health related
Aug 06 2018
02:14:25 PM
Good deal , please keep us updated I'd like to know what Sherri thinks and says.

The other possibility is some sort of spinal injury, but because she isn't walking like that allll the time, I'd lean more towards seizures.

Vet might not want to do xrays on her with joeys in pouch, so they may not be able to much just yet but I would still take her in for sure. Have them check her teeth and chin for sure, and ask about potential seizures.

As far as i know the only thing that can be done for seizures is reducing what ever the trigger is so she doesn't have them as often. But again, Sherri knows much more about them than i do hopefully she will get back to you soon she is probably at work.
Health related
Aug 06 2018
02:19:26 PM
I'll definitely keep you updated. I don't think it's a spinal injury because I'm always watching over them and checking on them and they haven't fell or done anything to injure the spine.

I'm going to take her in at least for her chin. They can at least tell me what it possibly is and how to treat it. I don't want to injure the joeys for an x-ray so we may not do that just yet. I just hope she's okay as I want the best for my gliders. I'm also going to get my male a checkup as we got him recently (June 30th) so I want to make sure we got him healthy.
Health related
Aug 06 2018
03:32:57 PM
Sherri has replied! She says "That doesn't sound like seizures. With gliders a seizure is more like they freeze in one spot, their face twitches and they drool. That occurs from anywhere from 10 seconds to a minute and then they snap out of it and are fine.

Yours doesn't sound like a seizure. Have you taken it to the vet to have her checked out?"
Health related
Aug 06 2018
04:41:29 PM
She thinks it has something to do with calcium. "I'm thinking either a bacterial infection, neurological issue or possible calcium problem. But calcium issues are normally a secondary problem."
I didn't think of this as they have a good diet
Health related
Aug 06 2018
04:41:38 PM
well then......... not a bad thing that it probably isn't a seizure. I know they freeze like she's saying and that is most common but I didn't know if it would be possible to present physically different from that or not. I've seen another glider seize on a video but it was much more "violent" for lack of a better description, than your girl and it wasn't the freezing up that she described.

But there are many types of seizures so the visible signs may still vary I really don't know.

So if it's "probably not" seizures, could be neurological or as I said earlier an injury of some sort to her spine.

Gliders move in all kinds of crazy ways, it may have happened when you weren't watching.

No one's placing blame, just trying to figure out the cause because that type of movement is not seen very often.

So please know, it's nothing you could have prevented, even if it was an accident, and who knows she may have had a preexisting condition before you even got her. There is so much we still don't know about glider medical issues it is a constant learning experience for the whole community.

Your doing all the right things, asking questions, showing how she moves, going to the vet...... that's all you can do and your doing a good job.

Until she can safely have an xray there probably isn't much that can be done for her unfortunately. But vet visit still the best option for her n see what they say.

Health related
Aug 06 2018
05:01:21 PM
The good thing here is she's still acting and looks more than okay. Let's cross our finger that it's nothing serious! Since she is most likely having joeys, is there anything I should take note on?
Health related
Aug 07 2018
05:11:22 PM
you mentioned bacterial infection yesterday and i forgot to touch on that, what makes you think possible bacterial infection?
Health related
Aug 07 2018
08:58:38 PM
oh, Sherri told me that i should probably ask her
Health related
Aug 07 2018
08:59:46 PM
i also just had a look at her chin and it was still red and it had something in the middle. it almost looked like a micro pimple lol
Health related
Aug 07 2018
09:11:26 PM
i was curious because i have 2 gliders here with a bacterial infection. They don't move like that, but i also can't see your girls belly to see the fur.

is her chin swollen or like a lump at all?
Health related
Aug 07 2018
09:35:39 PM
It's not swollen and there isn't a big lump not really a lump at all. I'll try and get a picture of her chin and I'll insert a pic of her belly.
Health related
Aug 07 2018
10:08:36 PM
great pic of her belly.

Ok if she does have a bacterial infection, it would most likely show on her belly. There doesn't appear to be an issue there.

When gliders have bacterial infections in their mouth they can spread it to the rest of their body when they groom themselves. The belly will get dark, almost a dark brown, it will look wet but not really feel wet, it feels greasy like the glider isn't grooming.

If she has an infection, its not likely bacterial her fur looks pretty good. She may have an abscess that hasn't expressed any bacteria to her mouth yet though.

Can you hold her like that again and get a pic of her chin?
Why is her chin pinkish?
Next |
Page: of 2

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Why is her chin pinkish?