GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
In memory of little Holly
Health related
Oct 08 2007
12:39:50 AM

www.flickr.com/photos/14679892@N08/1503496944/

When little Holly came to Hope For Gliders she was very scared and so very tiny. She had already been to several homes and had lived alone for all of her 4 1/2 years. Her diet consisted of fruits and vegetables and it was obvious that her health was not good. Even though she would not let me touch her at first, I could tell her little tummy was distended and her legs were stiff from malnutrition. After trying to place her with several pairs close to her age, it was a little one year old male that decided to love her. The transformation was almost immediate. Holly's whole expression changed from fear to wanting to be held and comforted. Sharkey, her nighttime cagemate just doted over her constantly. She stayed with me during waking hours because I worried that she had serious health issues. She weighed 57 gms and her little tummy was quite hard. After not seeing her poop as most gliders will when picked up, the vet started her on a stool softener, a little fiber in her water, and subq fluids. She and I became quite attached very quickly. All she wanted was to eat and be held. Her favorite place, (other than being wrapped up in Sharkeys arms) was on my shoulder snuggled up to my neck.

When we arose this morning, she had passed a little brown liquid, but acted like she did not feel very well. After holding her, giving her some water and a meal worm she perked up, climbed up on my shoulder to her normal place and stayed there until some folks came to talk about adoption. I placed her back in her pouch so she could rest while we talked. When I went to check on her about 2 hours later she was limp and her ears were turning yellow. I snatched her up and rubbed her little body, but I knew she was probably not going to make it. She fought it very hard. We jumped into the car and headed for the emergency clinic. We only got 1 block down the road when her little body finally gave up. She died in my hands.

This little girl touched my heart so much. It just makes me so angry when I think about how long she had probably been ill and no one cared enough to take her to the vet. I am trying to take comfort in the fact that at least she experienced the warmth of another glider. I just can't help feeling that I should have been able to do more. This one will stay with me for a very long time.........

Debbie
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 08 2007
12:42:34 AM
ladysiren8 Super Glider GliderMap 271 Posts
That is so sad, I am very sorry for your loss and pain. At least she was loved and happy in the end, she knew what many gliders never find, even if it was short
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 08 2007
12:56:40 AM
DebbieD Joey 32 Posts
Thank you for your sentiment and forgive me if I am not very talkative tonight. She was such a special little girl, I felt her story needed to be heard.......
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 08 2007
12:59:48 AM
Roz Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Roz's Photo Album USA 902 Posts
Debbie that is so sad....at least she got your love and attention and the love of her little cagemate....she could have never had that experience if not for you.....she also would have died sooner if not for your care. That is one thing when we love animals we put our hearts out there to be broken...we have more years in this life then most animals..so it goes without saying we will lose pets..but at least we know their love and give them love...time heals and one day you will look back at the time you had together an be happy for it..even though it was to short.
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 08 2007
08:23:25 AM
sugarnanny Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit sugarnanny's Photo Album 1000 Posts
THANK YOU, for showing her there is so love and caring mommies in this cruel world, she got to have the love that she so obviously craved before passing and a mate that cared for her also. I can't stop crying and feel the pain of your loss.
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 08 2007
08:45:40 AM
Skia Super Glider Visit Skia's Photo Album USA 275 Posts
...... my condolences

Even though I am an athiest I can't help but think of that rainbow bridge story when I hear about situations like this...

http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 08 2007
09:03:32 AM
guitargeek01 Face Hugger GliderMap Visit guitargeek01's Photo Album guitargeek01's Journal IL, USA 718 Posts
Im so sorry, the good thing is she wasnt alone when she died and her last few days were paradise to her. thank you for helping her finally get a feeling that she had somewhere to stay..
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 08 2007
09:36:07 AM
AngieH Face Hugger GliderMap Visit AngieH's Photo Album 934 Posts
My wish is that owners will be inspired by Holly. I got to know this little lady who weighed so little you couldn't even hardly feel her in your hands. All gliders deserve one loving home for the length of thier life. They shouldn't be passed from place to place like we see just about every day. They all deserve vet care and wellness checks. They all desevre good healthy food and toys to play with.
I saw the love she had for Holly and the tears she cried for her, saw all the trips to the vets to try to help this little sugar glider. I got to see Holly change and form a bond with Debbie that many gliders don't have. If all owners would please make a commitment to thier gliders to make sure they never end up like Holly did before she found Debbie, then thier world would be such a better place for them. Love your glider, hold them close, don't give them up unless you have a contract and follow up to make sure all is well and owners are screened and educated on glider care. Be sure you have a right of first refussal so that if that owner gives up the glider you can take it back and it doesn't fall through the cracks only to end up in a not so good or un-safe place. Please remember Holly today and make that commitment to your sugar gliders.
I am so happy that Holly found you Debbie, she got to know your love and devotion and that she was very special. Every day you help so many gliders and its not easy. My thoughts and prayers are with you and you know I am here for you always.

Edited by - AngieH on Oct 08 2007 09:38:53 AM
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 08 2007
10:07:25 AM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
I'm so sorry :( You gave her the best possible life before she passed and she was able to know what love and trust was. I can see why she would snatch your heart right up. <hugs>
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 08 2007
12:04:27 PM
LuckyGlider Zippy Glidershorts GliderMap Visit LuckyGlider's Photo Album LuckyGlider's Journal TX, USA 5266 Posts
So sorry Debbie. Poor little Holly. All she needed was some love, decent food and checkups. That's the least we can do for these little babies. Gail and I are so sorry she didn't get to you sooner. More sorry people are so uneducated about how to care for them to begin with...
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 08 2007
12:10:39 PM
tootles Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap tootles's Journal 1981 Posts
What a wonderful blessing you were to her. Just know that she was loved and happy while she was with you. Not everyone get that chance to love an unloved animal and give them that security in their last days. She will be waiting for you and now she is healthy and whole. You were her angel
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 08 2007
01:12:27 PM
HeatherB Glider GliderMap Visit HeatherB's Photo Album HeatherB's Journal USA 129 Posts
Thank you for your lessons and your love. I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes. What a warm and beautiful heart you have. Thank you for shareing your story with us all.
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 08 2007
07:31:21 PM
DebbieD Joey 32 Posts
I just wanted to let you all know the results of little Holly's necropsy today. Dr. Toberman said that she was so severely impacted that by the time she reached us, there was not much that could have been done. The culprit looked to be either wood bedding material or something similar. He said that he had never seen an animal that impacted and even if we had tried an enema, her colon was so stretched that it would have ruptured. There were no other health issues. This situation could have been prevented had one of her owners educated themselves on the proper care of sugar gliders and paid attention to her deteriorating health.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. I know she waits for me in heaven and is no longer in pain. I think that she will be a guardian angel for someone........I can still feel her snuggled up to my neck as if she is waiting for her assignment from God............
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 08 2007
07:53:20 PM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
Debbie - What a heart wrenching story. Thank God she had you at the end of her life to show her love and kindness. That poor little baby. What people do to them just makes you ill... Im sitting here crying for her. This didnt need to happen.

Here is the perfect example of why we should NEVER use wood shavings or anything like it in our suggies cages. If you are using wood shavings, please stop - in Honor of Holly. Lets not let her death be in vain.
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 08 2007
08:06:17 PM
Rach Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Rach's Photo Album 626 Posts
Im so sorry, isnt it funny how you can rescue so many animals and yet thier is always that one who touches your heart and will stay with you forever.

As Rita said hopefully someone else will learn from this, and her death will not be for nothing.
I dont like to admit it but this story made me cry.
no one cared enough to take her to the vet - Debbie you cared enough, you did all you could and she would have known that, at least her last days were with you and she felt what is was like to be loved.

Default, miscellaneous
Oct 08 2007
08:48:11 PM
newbie Glider Visit newbie's Photo Album USA 72 Posts
Truly touching. I'm so glad that she had you at the end. It's such a terrible shame that many owners don't know enough about their babies to know the damage they are causing them. Thank goodness for sites like this that help to educate and keep the little ones safe.
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 08 2007
09:00:37 PM
Sugarmomma2 Glider Visit Sugarmomma2's Photo Album USA 147 Posts
If we can learn from Holly that will honor her life. Poor little Suggie, I'm so glad she had you to make her last days happy and love filled. Bless you.
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 09 2007
01:03:25 AM
tinkertoy Face Hugger Visit tinkertoy's Photo Album FL, USA 801 Posts
Prayers and suggie kisses are sent to you during this very sad time for you. I'm glad you were such a good mommy to Holly and her last days were filled with love and affection from you and her cagemate. Lots of facehugs from all my furr butts.
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 09 2007
09:22:26 AM
sugargliderben Glider GliderMap Visit sugargliderben's Photo Album USA 91 Posts
debbie i am so sorry
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 09 2007
12:07:45 PM
Ilovesuggies Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Ilovesuggies's Photo Album USA 494 Posts
My heart hurts for you.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders