Allergic Reactions To Sugar Gliders


Sugar glider nails can be very irritating to people. They are very sharp, normally pierce the top most layer of skin, and they can dig in deep when you grab at the animal. Scratches will often turn red and itchy and even painfully swell and burn for some people. This is due to the bacteria and perhaps even saliva on and under the nails.

Over time some people can become used to or even immune to this problem while others can actually develop severe allergies and have to get rid of the pet.

Proper nail maintenance can help. Wearing long sleeves or a temporary outer garment just for playtime will prevent direct contact. Keeping their cage super clean helps as well. Inevitably, sugar gliders are arboreal creatures and are not the type to get accustomed to expressing waste in a familiar spot, instead, they just drop pee and poo in the normal course of life. As a result, their hands are very high in bacteria that they are then injecting into your skin when you interact with them.

As a rule, when you are done interfacing with your pets, it is a good idea to wash your hands and arms and any exposed skin areas. You can even clean with alcohol wipes.

Red, burning, and itchy arms

I swell up really bad and a rash forms where he bit me

I think I'm allergic to my gliders

Bite infection strep a. and abiotrophia

Severe allergic reaction

More Questions

Category Question

Navigation:


More Questions
All Titles
Help
New Page
Search

Search Titles
Search All

Popular:


Glider Pedia
Sugar Glider
Classification
Laws
Pet Drawbacks
Housing
Diet
Health
Breeding
Colony
Vets
Play
Sounds
Projects And Tutorials
Vendors
Links

Random:


LGRS Suggie Soup
Home
Egg Shell Calcium
Play
Kazkos Diet
Link Pattern
Bedding And Pouches
Teeth Trimming
Prolapse
Help On Images
Hand Feeding Joeys
Swollen Pouch
Random Pages
Hypocalcemia
Projects And Tutorials
Healesville Sanctuary Diet

This page is in Category Health.

Last Edited March 26, 2013



--