Sugar Gliders
A medical discussion for new owners regarding male gliders
Previous | Next |
Page: of 7
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 02 2011
09:08:54 AM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
Ooooh, you'd be surprised how many are in the "glider world".
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 23 2011
06:53:35 PM
fr3butterfly Starting Member 5 Posts
This is serious, it seems funny but the first thing the lady who sold me my gliders said was that he does not have worms, and that it was his genitals. She said she had thought it was a worm and tried pulling it out. She said the glider screamed and she drove to the vet to get it dewormed and the vet laughed at her hysterically. She educated me for a good 5 minutes on the glider reproductive system. I have to say I am very glad she did. After I saw it for myself I have to admit if I was never educated I would have thought it was worms too and would have attempted to rescue the little guy. When the poster said do not cut it off I dont think he was talking about neutering the guy I think he was talking about mistaking it for a worm and removing the worm from the glider. knowledge is power.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 24 2011
02:05:21 AM
eshaw Glider 59 Posts
Every time I read the subject matter for this thread it just makes me cringe! It must be a guy thing.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 29 2011
06:46:14 PM
rose414 Joey 30 Posts
Cut it off? Please tell me no one has actually done that! Although, it is alarming seeing it stick out of their cloaca... like something is wrong!
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 16 2011
11:10:27 AM
Kelly Thompson banned by Eric GliderMap Visit Kelly Thompson's Photo Album NC, USA 417 Posts
who would ever "cut it off", that gave me a good laugh. I just find it odd that i have two boys and somtimes i find my younger one cleaning his older brother for him...
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 20 2011
08:52:24 PM
Nibrana Starting Member 5 Posts
First time i saw it i just figured it was a male glider thing and walked away xD
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 10 2011
09:37:21 PM
ToughCheeseSmallPaws Face Hugger Visit ToughCheeseSmallPaws's Photo Album USA 579 Posts
Am I the only one who assumed it would be his weenie? I mean, marsupials have some bizarre parts anyway...
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 21 2011
05:53:09 AM
JamieDawn Super Glider Visit JamieDawn's Photo Album JamieDawn's Journal OR, USA 291 Posts
Story time, I remember not long after I had got them a friend of mine was over and when we went into the room he goes "whoa are that sugar gliders? Those things got two dicks" and I was shocked and was like "what?" A Google search later I saw all the pictures I needed to see and I feel fully educated in the sugar glider male reproductive system.
And I peeked in the bag and saw one of them grooming their scrotum for the first time, how he could just grab it and pull it to his mouth. I thought he had a treat in his mouth and I was like "where did you get that?" I now know where he got it.
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 18 2011
10:39:52 PM
hypnotist321 Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit hypnotist321's Photo Album hypnotist321's Journal 1742 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by JenJen

sorry to say this, but that made my day...'please do not cut it off'

I have read this many times (I've read every glider thing I've come across on the web) - "don't cut it off", "don't pull on it" etc. Why on earth would anyone want to cut or pull on it?
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 18 2011
10:42:32 PM
hypnotist321 Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit hypnotist321's Photo Album hypnotist321's Journal 1742 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Eos

I am embarrassed to say that when I first saw Id's, I thought his intestines were prolapsed and I took him to the vet to have it checked out. The vet had a good laugh at my expense.

Tiffany

OMgosh!!! I laughed so loud I woke up the dog. LOL
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 18 2011
10:54:23 PM
WOW - I just stopped reading and laughing long enough to look at the photo - WOW! I would have been running to the vet too!
Default, miscellaneous
Nov 24 2011
12:12:10 AM
tuees new mom Super Glider Visit tuees new mom's Photo Album USA 290 Posts
OMG! I now have 3 males. So much to LOOK forward to! Seriously though, good post but I am a nurse and I have seen ALOT of human stuff but I still would have been thinking intestine or something if I hadn't read up on the glider anatomy. Just my opinion, but knowing your new pets anatomy is an important part of pet owner ship. Prior to owning, just as diet, housing, cost, etc. But, I did Lab rescue for years and years and it just blew my mind how many people buy animals on a whim and then when they get too big for an apartment or knock over things/children, well "I just didn't know he/she got that big". Venting sorry!
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 08 2011
01:01:56 PM
Brandy Pecanic Joey USA 19 Posts
Thanks! That's actually some great advice because I'm expecting my first baby sugar glider next week and it will be a male! I breed fancy rats and I'm sure I would have figured it out but anything to help not learn the hard way always helps! Ill be glued to this forumand learning many things!
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 08 2011
01:32:33 PM
Brandy Pecanic Joey USA 19 Posts
Thanks! That's actually some great advice because I'm expecting my first baby sugar glider next week and it will be a male! I breed fancy rats and I'm sure I would have figured it out but anything to help not learn the hard way always helps! Ill be glued to this forumand learning many things!
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 27 2011
02:59:00 PM
smmt1990 Glider Visit smmt1990's Photo Album smmt1990's Journal 55 Posts
not gonna lie... reading this makes me thankful my Dawson is fixed. :)
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 27 2011
06:44:00 PM
Willows Tree Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Willows Tree's Photo Album USA 1294 Posts
Welcome smmt!
Gotta tell You.. your lil' guy still has both genitaliaes..Only his testicles were involved in his neutering.
I was mentally prepared (I thought) to see it..Curious even..But when I walked by, as Widget was cleaning himself..I did a triple take!
Reminded me of skinny earthworms...ewwww!!
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 27 2011
06:48:43 PM
Can Y'all believe this topic has been viewed 26,488 times?????
Well..........26,489 times now!!
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 27 2011
06:55:35 PM
ThankYou whoever edited my word for more than one male "P~word".....I would NEVER had been able to make the word "genitalia" plural, without your help!
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 07 2012
08:18:53 PM
TONYA1W1 Super Glider Visit TONYA1W1's Photo Album TONYA1W1's Journal USA 216 Posts
plz tell me someone DID NOT DO THAT
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 07 2012
08:20:18 PM
TONYA1W1 Super Glider Visit TONYA1W1's Photo Album TONYA1W1's Journal USA 216 Posts
plz tell me someone did NOT do that if so poor babe
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 29 2012
11:00:56 PM
Stitch5826 Joey Visit Stitch5826's Photo Album 42 Posts
I defintely was wondering what it was..but put two and two together when it only came out when he peed or pooped...please don't tell me someone cut it off??? Yikes.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 04 2012
02:28:36 AM
karensink Face Hugger GliderMap Visit karensink's Photo Album 802 Posts
oh trust me, it comes out at other times too. a lot when they go thru puberty, has been my observation.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 05 2012
11:07:36 PM
LisaW Glider Visit LisaW's Photo Album 86 Posts
Sleeping in his little sock on my lap I stuck my phone in the sock to take a picture of my precious boy and soon to find he was letting it all hang out lol. I could understand how people think it is a worm. but cut it off? oh my I hope that has never happened

Default, miscellaneous
Jun 29 2012
12:43:34 AM
tiffsuggie Glider Visit tiffsuggie's Photo Album 84 Posts
hey guys! i am getting 2 male gliders soon and it it out all the time? is it small or ar long as there tail lol? why do the put it out?

thanks
Question
Jun 29 2012
01:10:26 AM
tiffsuggie Glider Visit tiffsuggie's Photo Album 84 Posts
i saw the pictures of it and that pretty gross lol i wouldnt have cut it off though! if you get them neuterd would you still see it? is it out all the time? do the have it out when you hold them? if you only have 2 males and no female would you see it?
thanks!
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 24 2012
08:32:39 PM
Lauraann86 Joey Visit Lauraann86's Photo Album 40 Posts
My male seems to have his out all the time now. He just goes ae bout his business with it hanging out, Im not entirely sure why he would have it otu ALL the time, but it doesn't seem to bother him any.
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 08 2012
02:07:01 AM
yecats Glider Visit yecats's Photo Album USA 92 Posts
I was a little confused the first time I saw my baby's buisiness too, but I figured it out pretty quick. Without any thoughts of scissors! People have done that?!?!?! I am mortified :O
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 21 2012
09:33:25 AM
GucciLove Starting Member 9 Posts
I have a male and i just wanted to post to the person who saw their baby "cleaning it".. just a head up lol... its actually him masturbating.. if u research it, when they kinda do a flossing of their teeth with it its actually that lol..
when i first got Gucci, a few weeks into it i saw it in his pouch and i thought it was a string, when i realized it was attatched i was so taken back lol.. a week later when i saw it again i saw there was 2 and i went straight to google bc i wasnt sure if i was seeing things correct or if i was going crazy. sure enough it was what i thought it was and i was laughing with my family for a good week about it haha
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 12 2012
01:40:01 AM
MARINE Glider Visit MARINE's Photo Album USA 111 Posts
Question: Do males really spray and what exactly does that mean or what do they do.
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 04 2012
02:58:50 PM
indn47 Starting Member 4 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Eric C

The male sugar glider has a bifurcated genitalia. It consists of two shafts and is forked at the end like a snake tongue. The genitalia is long and pink, and looks similar to a long worm. If you see this, which you eventually will, Please do not cut it off; your sugar is healthy and normal.

See Also:
Photos of a sugar glider genitalia

Addendum:
Click here for more techinical information about the male glider's genitalia.

what do you lubricate it with to get it to go back in?
Previous | Next |
Page: of 7

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders