Sugar Gliders
SCAMS ABOUND
Next |
Page: of 5
SCAMS ABOUND
Information
Jun 23 2011
09:55:30 AM
There does seem to be an uptick in listings all over the Internet of sugar gliders for sale in a highly sketchy manner. A true modern day person will not let themselves be taken by scams like these but it never hurts to share what to look for as some people may simply not be aware that there are others out there willing to take your money from you.

Please share some things you think others need to look out for before sending money to some distant island to ship in animals.

Here are mine as I can recall:

Dont send money out of the country or to an island.

Dont fall for sob, extended or complicated stories. Most folks simply list something for sale and that's it. Long stories start to scream scam.

There is no substitute for doing an in-person exchange.

Buy locally.

Roadtrip to pick up your new animals no matter how far. If you really cant manage this, you really dont need to be having animals in the first place.

Ask around to see if anyone else has dealt with this person.

Look for post count in forums.

Buyer beware.

If it seems too good to be true, it is.

Don't be greedy.

Get your animals from a sanctuary, shelter, rescue that has a history.

Take your time. If you are in a hurry, you are not ready for animals.

Default, miscellaneous
Jun 23 2011
10:04:47 AM
Lady Tiko Face Hugger Visit Lady Tiko's Photo Album USA 435 Posts
If a "seller" will not release any/more information to you without a deposit first it is probably a scam.

If they need you to send them a money order and in exchange will send you a check it is probably a scam.
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 23 2011
10:13:33 AM
glidergirlll Glider Visit glidergirlll's Photo Album USA 112 Posts
i JUST went through this! I cant believe i actually believed it! She told me she was from Alabama and just moved to Cameroon to start new breeds...Yeah i did my research AFTER I already gave her my info, then i asked if she could give me references to people who has bought from her in the past!She couldnt even do that! She said she was a USDA licensed breeder which i found was a LIE after i called the USDA! I hate these kind of people! I even found pictures of the gliders i was going to buy on different websites..she even wanted me to send the money to her runner boy! Like NO! She was only going to charge me $300 For 2 joeys, a big cage, a week supply of food, and toys and all airfare and shipping. Yeah it was too good to be true... If anyone wants to know her email please message me!
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 23 2011
10:20:27 AM
Lady Tiko Face Hugger Visit Lady Tiko's Photo Album USA 435 Posts
You could also check google images and compare the image (if provided). I've seen a lot of scams (especially on CL) that will include an image and if you google it you will find that it's on there which usually means they just copied it.
Information
Jun 23 2011
11:03:56 AM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
A good tool for comparing photos is Google TinEye .
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 23 2011
01:25:16 PM
Eric C Retired GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Eric C's Photo Album Eric C's Journal TX, USA 2321 Posts
In the classifieds, the listings have been modified to now show IP addresses, or partial ones at least for people in the United States. A big red warning will appear if the poster is outside of the U.S. Nearly 99% of the people on this forum are in the United States, so out of country postings for sugar gliders is an enormous red flag that it's a scam. Recently, a person from Russia posted the exact same classified ad 3 different times, only changing the state and city.
News
Jun 24 2011
12:14:05 PM
hey GLIDERS Glider 70 Posts
Yeah I think ive been contacted by a SECOND scammer yesterday. They say their in cameroon and that they will ship them. I already said I was interested and their tryi.g to sell me on them with a large wall of text.

Look out for lynecrazy. They joined yesterday annnd I got the email yesterday. An d they have yet to post so im starting to think scammer. Ima call them out directly and see wbere this goes

Thanks for this thread! You just saved me. I dont know you guys but I love you! :)

Edited by - hey GLIDERS on Jun 24 2011 02:30:39 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 24 2011
01:35:47 PM
After pming with glidergirlll ive come to beleive that we were contacted by the same scammer. How do I report the account used by said scammer?
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 24 2011
06:23:07 PM
suggielover74 Face Hugger GliderMap Visit suggielover74's Photo Album USA 933 Posts
Good info!
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 24 2011
07:48:03 PM
melindakay Joey Visit melindakay's Photo Album 25 Posts
In working with Primate breeders in the past I can tell you if you hear the word Cameroon it's 99.9% a scam! It's funny that most of them that communicate with you call themselves preists. They will tell you they will ship right to your front door. Never ever send money by money gram or Western Union which most of these scammers will ask you to do. If they are offering a high dollar glider for very little turn and run...if it's too good to be true it usually is!
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 24 2011
08:28:05 PM
DoubleBogey Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit DoubleBogey's Photo Album USA 1244 Posts
If you see the word "Cameroon" (Africa) or "Missionary"..."Pastor"....or Big Daddy Gliders in Savannah...RUN.
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 24 2011
08:43:12 PM
glidergirlll Glider Visit glidergirlll's Photo Album USA 112 Posts
Yes! I have learned my lesson! She was located in Cameroon! She did ask me to send it through western union!! I even asked if she would send the gliders first! And she said no! So i said fine! enjoy them cause i dont want them! Stupid people!
News
Jun 24 2011
11:47:41 PM
wooowwwwwww glidrs must be sent first, i doubt legitimate forum posters would steal a glider...

Funny, they did say they would go straight to my front door. Whats so special about camroon that people use it for scams? Ive had many emails from "banks" saying they found millions of dollars for mee.... basically it seems like scammers like camroon, any body know why?

Also guys, ASK LOTS AND LOTS OF QUESTIONS. BE SINCERE.
I think this is the second scamming attempting on me, the first time, i tried so hard to work with the girl to help her keep her gliders, but the more concerned, and willing to help them i became, the less responsive they were, to the point they just left me alone.

Goes to show the power of compassion! =D

ALSO:

"Dont fall for sob, extended or complicated stories. Most folks simply list something for sale and that's it. Long stories start to scream scam."

I think this point should be expressed with upmost importance. If you get a wall of text, way more than you asked for, they are most likely trying to "sell" you on it.....

Edited by - hey GLIDERS on Jun 24 2011 11:49:18 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 26 2011
07:49:42 PM
BookGoddes Face Hugger Visit BookGoddes's Photo Album 482 Posts
sob story....

I was asking for photos from someone craigslist who was offering gliders and a large cages. She kept putting me off, and kept giving me stories about losing her job, a sick husband, losing her house and when it came the day to pick them up she told me they died in the cold over night.... OMG.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 07 2011
08:54:38 AM
jkr2116 Glider Visit jkr2116's Photo Album USA 185 Posts
When looking for a second glider, I had inquired to several folks listing gliders for sale. I received the same email from two different email addresses listing the same exact information, "from Cameroon, glider is 12 weeks and 4 days old, etc.." Not too clever on their part!!
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 12 2011
11:43:31 AM
Just Jen Glider Visit Just Jen's Photo Album USA 82 Posts
There is a woman on Glider Exchange that is scamming. Her name is Pamela Roxy. Her post says she is in Virgina, but after talking with her, through emails, for the past few days, it turns out that she is in Nevada. Here is a c/p of her last email to me.

"hello thanks for your mail. you will have to provide me with your details; home address including zip code, phone number and Full names, this will be use for the change of ownership documents and registration of the babies to your home address. transportation of both gliders will cost the sum of $150, all payments will be done directly to delivery agency before delivery is done, waiting your mail to start with the arrangements.thanks"

Her email is pamelaroxy83@yahoo.com
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 13 2011
11:30:40 AM
wowww That c/p is bad.

Is all that even real?

I know people need to be USDA liscensed but does any one have a paperd glider?

That lady seemed like she was trying to be toooo legit.

and ;_; @ lady who said they died in the cold =[ people are lammmeeee
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 13 2011
11:58:37 AM
Just Jen Glider Visit Just Jen's Photo Album USA 82 Posts
The pictures she sent of her "Female" were also pictures of male gliders.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 17 2011
07:51:08 PM
repellantartist Glider GliderMap repellantartist's Journal USA 64 Posts
I found someone today actually that was a scammer. Another guy she had emailed, emailed me and asked if she had sent the same thing to me. Turned out to be a scammer. Her name is Jessica Weathers, her email is jessicaweathers83@gmail.com
DON'T BELIEVE HER.
Default, miscellaneous
Jul 24 2011
06:35:11 PM
11sugarlvr11 Glider Visit 11sugarlvr11's Photo Album 63 Posts
Wish I saw this thread before I was almost scammed! It was someone from Cameroon, told me exactly the same thing you guys have said! Boy he got an earful, not like he cared! Some people
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 05 2011
04:29:29 PM
tripnr Starting Member USA 4 Posts
I'm a newbie, but I think I have come across another. Their ad says one state, but they are actually located in another AND they want paid via money transfer. . .any advice?
Information
Aug 05 2011
05:06:26 PM
SugarLoafin Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit SugarLoafin's Photo Album CO, USA 1755 Posts
It you even think it might be a scam turn the other way!
Information
Aug 05 2011
05:09:10 PM
Omis n Kais g-ma Pouch Protector Visit Omis n Kais g-ma's Photo Album TX, USA 7524 Posts
Don't do it. Someone came on here a week or so ago that had just been scammed like that. Why do they need the money sent Western Union or any other money transfer?
quote:
Originally posted by tripnr

I'm a newbie, but I think I have come across another. Their ad says one state, but they are actually located in another AND they want paid via money transfer. . .any advice?

Information
Aug 05 2011
11:33:48 PM
JazzNZoeysmom Zippy Glidershorts GliderMap Visit JazzNZoeysmom's Photo Album USA 5354 Posts
There's a scam being discussed under the title "UGH"..... some of u have probably already seen it but if not, u may want to hop over & check it out.
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 10 2011
10:08:15 AM
tripnr Starting Member USA 4 Posts
I contacted user 'easyben' who is registered as living in Columbus, Ohio. This user goes by the name of Uslar Dien and actually lives in Florida, or so he says. I was contacted today by someone claiming to be his parent, but this person lives in Arizona. They sent the exact same photos of the gliders from Florida. They use Jet Pet Delivery Service which is apparently a fraudulent company. So please watch out for sellers contacting you from uslardien@yahoo or drwilliampoter@hotmail! It is obviously a rip off!
Information
Aug 10 2011
04:23:00 PM
misscarl Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit misscarl's Photo Album USA 1169 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by tripnr

I contacted user 'easyben' who is registered as living in Columbus, Ohio. This user goes by the name of Uslar Dien and actually lives in Florida, or so he says. I was contacted today by someone claiming to be his parent, but this person lives in Arizona. They sent the exact same photos of the gliders from Florida. They use Jet Pet Delivery Service which is apparently a fraudulent company. So please watch out for sellers contacting you from uslardien@yahoo or drwilliampoter@hotmail! It is obviously a rip off!

since "easyben" is a member on this site, i wonder if there is something Kazko or Eric C could do? maybe his ip address could be banned or something if he really is scamming. i would at least notify one of the moderators to tell them what happened
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 20 2011
11:46:11 PM
Kbear70 Starting Member USA 2 Posts
Always safe to just drive to go meet and purchase ur glider!! I am new just bought my first white face girl and will be getting a second in a few weeks from same breeder but I'm from milwaukee area and drove 4 hours one way up north to get my 8 week old kiwi who currently is crabbing at me in her bonding pouch lol I paid $300 just for the glider :) great breeder if anyone in the Wisconsin area wants info she is in Antigo Wisconsin
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 21 2011
12:46:07 AM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
Did you purchase from Allie? :)

Edited by - kyro298 on Aug 21 2011 12:46:35 AM
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 27 2011
06:34:43 PM
Breezer Glider GliderMap Visit Breezer's Photo Album MN, USA 73 Posts
I haven't been scammed by any glider sellers... but when I get email spam most of the emails have horrible spelling/grammar/punctuation. Another thing to beware. Seriously... if you're trying to scam someone shouldn't you sound at least slightly literate? lol
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 29 2011
12:51:20 PM
wildlifeangel Glider Visit wildlifeangel's Photo Album MN, USA 71 Posts
I would think that the biggest hint that somone IS legit is that they are willing to talk on the phone, send pics, ship via a legitimate route (Delta or Continental) and they have lineage registered in the database so you can check it out and be sure that they are actually a breeder. And if they claim to have more than 3 breeding pairs, you should be able to look them up by their USDA license (I have one).

Watch for anyone who is not clear on things... there is such thing as too good to be true, and listen to your gut. I also ALWAYS talk on the phone with a potential owner before I allow them to put down a deposit. A good breeder wants to be sure that their babies are going to good homes, and is more than happy to answer any questions about their breeding practices.
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 04 2011
11:47:06 PM
Lottie_Star Starting Member Visit Lottie_Star's Photo Album NC, USA 1 Posts
Oh my gosh... I feel really bad cuz honestly I need to sell my sugar gliders and it truly is a sob story lol. I bought them in the mall, I wanted one forever, and then there they were. Big eyes, long tail and the softest fur I ever felt. They guy said "they cost $4 a month to care for and travel with you!" He never mentioned all the time i had to spend trying to bond with them. I have been asked to leave stores because one of them dislikes being in the bonding pouch and "crabs" at me. I did spend 2 days doing research on them and thought they sounded perfect for me before I bought them. Unfortunately they really do require more from me than I was told and after trying every tip and trick in the book for the last 4 months (wearing 2 shirts, bonding pouch, playing in a tent) they only seem to be becoming more fearful and tend to BITE me. Not just a nibble I mean they chomp down and draw blood. Anyone know someone around North Carolina looking for 2 un-altered females. They are so cute but I think they would be better suited with someone who can give them the time. Everything goes with them, cage, food, bowls, water bottle, wheel and some toys.
SCAMS ABOUND
Next |
Page: of 5

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
SCAMS ABOUND