Sugar glider and Pinky mice, live food?
Previous | Next |
Page: of 3
Food, Diet
Jan 07 2009
07:34:08 PM
Samantha08 Joey GliderMap Visit Samantha08's Photo Album USA 12 Posts
From the sounds of these posts, I probably look like a monster to all of you. I feed my snakes F/T mice and rats. But my beardie every once in a while will get a live pinky and so does the gator. I havent yet given a live pinky to the gliders yet. I prefer to do the prekilled in my own defense lol. sorry. I was just raised that rats, mice, and rabbits were food. I feel bad now. I am thankful to all those rodents that keep my babies alive and well though.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 07 2009
07:38:40 PM
gliders34 Glider GliderMap Visit gliders34's Photo Album USA 198 Posts
Same here..I feed my snakes rats and mice...I have never known a rat to be a pet just because I always have fed them to my python and cornsnake...but I guess they can b really smart. So sorry everyone that finds that bad but it's what they would do in the wild...I feel bad about the smart rats though sometimes, I'm also thankful that they keep my snakes alive too.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 08 2009
05:54:55 PM
noeld2006 Super Glider GliderMap Visit noeld2006's Photo Album USA 371 Posts
I grew up around reptiles so feeding a snake or lizard a pinkie is just second nature to me. It's just the way the food chain works. I never understand how people can say that mice are so cute and then turn around and eat a cow, pig, chicken, or whatever. It really is hypocritical.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 08 2009
06:05:26 PM
snusie Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit snusie's Photo Album snusie's Journal USA 2962 Posts
Mice are food. Rats are food. That's their function in the ecosystem, other than despoiling our food reserves.
Food, Diet
Jan 08 2009
07:44:46 PM
SGold Super Glider GliderMap Visit SGold's Photo Album SGold's Journal USA 353 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by stepakapets101</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SGold</i>
<br />I've seen a video of someone feeding their gliders live mice. them things are as big as the gliders!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

where did you see thaat! lol
I'll have to find it so I can post it.
Food, Diet
Jan 08 2009
07:49:34 PM
SGold Super Glider GliderMap Visit SGold's Photo Album SGold's Journal USA 353 Posts

so maybe when I first saw it I thought the mice were huge
but now that I watch it again they're not <i>that</i> big.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 08 2009
09:45:19 PM
stepakapets101 Super Glider GliderMap Visit stepakapets101's Photo Album stepakapets101's Journal Canada 366 Posts
wow! I never knew they would actually eat the mouse!
I would not mind feeding my gliders mice, the gliders on the video seem to love it! lol.

except I would probably have to buy like 6 mice lol. Someone made a point that older mice are better because there bones add more calcuim? im not sure if they would actually eat the bones though
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 08 2009
10:32:47 PM
I just think there are easier ways of getting my gliders the protein they need. I mean, they make a mess enough as it is with just what I give them. I can't imagine what kinds of things will be splattered everywhere if I were to give them a mouse.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 08 2009
10:49:23 PM
gliders34 Glider GliderMap Visit gliders34's Photo Album USA 198 Posts
does feeding them mice like that make them more agressive??
Food, Diet
Jan 08 2009
11:26:37 PM
stepakapets101 Super Glider GliderMap Visit stepakapets101's Photo Album stepakapets101's Journal Canada 366 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SGold</i>
<br />I just think there are easier ways of getting my gliders the protein they need. I mean, they make a mess enough as it is with just what I give them. I can't imagine what kinds of things will be splattered everywhere if I were to give them a mouse.

yeah thats true, but they would have "fun" ripping apart a mouse probably lol, even though some people think its horrible they probably enjoy it

I do give mine Rep cal Herbavite and Calcium so they are healthy, I just was thinking about trying something new
Food, Diet
Jan 09 2009
02:34:56 AM
snusie Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit snusie's Photo Album snusie's Journal USA 2962 Posts
Rats and mice are food, for snakes, iguanas, foxes, birds, etc. <i>HOWEVER ...</i>

One of our members recently lost two gliders to a disease carried in mouse droppings. We have to be really careful what we expose them to.

http://www.sugarglider.com/glidergossip/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17079

Miss Doolittle, I'm sorry to bring this up, I know you're still grieving. But I think it's necessary especially for out new members to know the risks.

Food, Diet
Jan 09 2009
03:02:40 AM
Jett Face Hugger GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Jett's Photo Album Jett's Journal Australia 681 Posts
I'm sure no one will over feed them mice but too many mice is not a good thing to feed your gliders as they are hard for them to break down and digest. I use to have Green Tree Frogs and you can feed them pinkies but they found that if fed too many they end up with liver and kidney failure. I know the old Taronga Zoo Sugar Gliders diet had day old chicks in it so once a week must be ok
Food, Diet
Jan 09 2009
08:17:14 AM
nitetimers Glider Visit nitetimers's Photo Album 97 Posts
We had a pet rat, Templeton, she was a very sweet pet. Actually rats make the best pets, very friendly and social. My kids did 4-H and we had rabbits too, but not market rabbits. Even though the points made about rats being prolific and food source are true, I could not have a pet that required live animals for food to survive. So I just avoid that situation all together. What animals eat in the wild is a different thing and I don't want to see it or assist in the process. Dried meal worms and crickets are going to be as live as it gets for my gliders.
Food, Diet
Jan 09 2009
08:48:44 AM
Cheddy Glider Visit Cheddy's Photo Album 186 Posts
I kinda agree with you nitetimers. What they eat in the wild is totally out of our control.Although rats and mice are in the food chain but watching them suffer and die in front of you is totally a different feeling altogether.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 09 2009
09:13:44 AM
Rach Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Rach's Photo Album 626 Posts
I just watched that video, OMG. I dont know about the US but here in Australia I know its illegal to feed LIVE mice and Rats to snakes, so Im positive it would be the same for gliders. Also feeding live mice carries a lot of risks, bacteria. worms etc, not to mention the risk that the mouse could bite the glider causing either injury or infection. If you were to feed mice they SHOULD be frozen for a minimum of 6 weeks to kill any nasties that the mouse could be carrying.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 09 2009
01:18:08 PM
Gizzynator Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Gizzynator's Photo Album TX, USA 691 Posts
thats gross... lol
i have hamsters and that videos an eye opener..
can we show this video to people asking the age old question of mixing animals?
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 09 2009
01:42:17 PM
Rach Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Rach's Photo Album 626 Posts
Yeah when ppl ask can birds go with gliders just show them this video and tell them this is what will happen to thier precious bird.
Food, Diet
Sep 09 2010
01:58:08 AM
perpetual_mind Starting Member 1 Posts
why the hell would you want to feel your gliders live pinky mice or rats?? the protein they NORMALLY get in the wild are from insects. Red meat is much different than insect meat... even some cooked chicken breast would be better for them than red meat... omnivores DO NOT have the digestive tract like a cat or a dog has. cats and dogs are carnivores and have a digestive tract made for breaking down red meat. even humans break down red meat less efficiently than carnivores do. Unless you want to shorten the life span of your gliders, i would highly advise against this. No i'm not some animal rights activist, i own several reptiles and feed them live rodents. Though i have done enough research on my gliders to know that they will be much healthier with protein gained from mealworms/pheonix worms, or chicken/turkey baby food. once again, unless you want your gliders to have health problems early in their lifespan, i would highly advise AGAINST feeding gliders any sort of other mammal meat. if you want scientific proof that omnivores aren't supposed to have too much red meat jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/132/11/3522S go there. just buy your gliders worms, chicken/turkey baby food/ or if you're feeling like they need a treat, cook some chicken breast or fish and give it to them. my gliders are perticularly fond of snapper/sea bass (probably because of the lack of fishy flavor)
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 09 2010
02:43:57 AM
1989jeremy Super Glider Visit 1989jeremy's Photo Album 1989jeremy's Journal USA 352 Posts
yea i dont think thats cool. I cant watch an animal that big die/struggling for life and that mouse was moving. my cat dont even eat mice and ive had some along with rats and if they escaped my cat would corner them and meow till either me or my mom got up to see wat she was fussing about. Only live animal ill ever use as food is mealworms and crickets because lord knows we got enough of them lol..but this is my opinion
Food, Diet
Sep 09 2010
02:51:07 AM
KuroNeko Fuzzy Wuzzy Gliderpedia Editor Visit KuroNeko's Photo Album USA 1617 Posts
Just curious, who's going to tell the gliders in the wild that they can't have too many pinkies or chicks?
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 09 2010
03:10:14 AM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
I do NOT suggest feeding mealworms as part of their regular diet. They are not a good source of protein because they are so fatty. I don't understand how all of these posts that are well over a year old keep coming back from the dead lately??
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 09 2010
03:13:21 AM
KuroNeko Fuzzy Wuzzy Gliderpedia Editor Visit KuroNeko's Photo Album USA 1617 Posts
New members go digging through old archives, I suppose. I'm almost certain that perpetual_mind joined just so that they could respond to this.
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 09 2010
03:28:54 AM
1989jeremy Super Glider Visit 1989jeremy's Photo Album 1989jeremy's Journal USA 352 Posts
wow i just realized dis was a year old...how do you even find posts this old?
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 09 2010
03:57:57 AM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
Maybe from a specific keyword search up at the top? I'm not really sure. I also thought threads were locked after a certain amount of time. I mean, it's fine if someone wants to comment on something but if you want to dig up an old thread and reply starting with "Why the hell...", first of all, after a year and a half, whoever you're addressing probably won't see your friendly response and second, don't expect anyone to even want to read any further. I believe it had also already been stated by Jett that they are difficult for gliders to digest.
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 09 2010
09:57:38 AM
Megs06 BANNED_ACCOUNT Gliderpedia Editor Visit Megs06's Photo Album USA 1 Posts
Ugh. That's all I can say.
((I feed frozen pinkies. Brow beat me please?))
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 09 2010
10:27:01 AM
suppressedtearz Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit suppressedtearz's Photo Album USA 1066 Posts
I'm sure baby food is on the menu all the time in the wild..
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 24 2010
11:12:42 AM
torilynn Face Hugger Visit torilynn's Photo Album 789 Posts
My husband had piranhas once and we had to buy them live feeder Goldfish uggg I couldnt do it I made him....
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 24 2010
12:01:41 PM
My turtle eats minnows and goldfish. Live. It's great exercise for him. And the only activity he gets.

It's actually really neat to watch, as morbid as that sounds. lol
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 24 2010
12:37:16 PM
virtual_diver Face Hugger Visit virtual_diver's Photo Album virtual_diver's Journal USA 574 Posts
I'm glad this old post was brought back. I didn't know. I have no intention of feeding pinky mice but I will do a through house cleaning! I don't think I have mice but you never know!
Default, miscellaneous
Sep 24 2010
02:15:39 PM
Well you wouldn't want to feed a mouse you just found.

I buy Arctic Mice. They're monitored, chemical/toxin free, and already dead. They're frozen. So I know it's safe to feed, and I don't have to deal with squeaking, which would make me sad. Even if I hate mice.

Also, my trio never leaves anything behind.

My duo ate HALF a pinky (and they're TINY!) so I had the remains to clean up. They'll never get a pinky from me again.
Previous | Next |
Page: of 3

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders