General Chat
Forum Etiquette
Next |
Page: of 3
Forum Etiquette
Information
May 17 2010
07:41:21 PM
Just want to point out a few things lately that are a bit frustrating. This is not to turn into a "this site is so mean" thread either. It's common courtesy for all members and they aren't law, obviously...just recommendations.

Titles-make them appropriate. If people have no idea what your title is talking about, they might just skip over your post altogether. Make your title describe the thread content/question. This benefits everyone because the original poster can get more responses, other members that would also like info on that particular subject will get useful info and future members that do searches can find the thread containing that specific subject. I've seen people post under the medical category with the title "HELP ME!" 10,000 times. Sometimes it's actually life threatening. Sometimes, it's anything but. If you are in dire need of help, by all means, say so! If you're NOT, please don't make it sound so urgent.

ALL CAPS IN POSTS-Please don't. It's annoying. We don't yell at you. Please don't yell at us.

Referring others to someone privately-This one, in particular, gets to me. If someone posts asking a question, don't answer them with "pm or email so and so. They'll have that info". How does that help anyone but the original poster? If you're posting publicly, there should be a public answer. If you know of someone that is knowledgeable on that specific post, ask them to check out the thread and leave a response. The same reasons that you should use an appropriate title applies here as well. Plus sometimes, newer members will refer other new members to specifically find someone just because they've seen that person post a lot. Posting a lot does NOT equal knowledgeable. Ever hear of the telephone game?

Giving advice-This is ESPECIALLY for diet and medical issues. If you are going to state advice as fact, have something to back it up besides hearsay. We're not vets. Guiding someone in the right direction is one thing. Offering up treatment and/or diagnosis is quite another. I see people scare the bejeebers out of others because of simple speculation. Being cautious is fine. You also should never tell someone that a specific diet is THE best unless you have the research to support it. "Healthy and Happy" is NOT research.

Search-MOST topics have been covered...lots of times. If you have a few minutes, do a quick search up top for the subject you are wanting info about or check the Gliderpedia. 9 times out of 10, it's there. Half the time, my response to posts are links that I retrieved from searching myself. There is also the handy "bookmark" feature. If you find particularly helpful or useful info in a thread, bookmark it. You'll have it forever!

Feel free to add your own.
Default, miscellaneous
May 17 2010
09:17:46 PM
WintersSong Fuzzy Wuzzy 1417 Posts
Start sentences with capital letters, and end them with an appropriate form of punctuation. It is very difficult to read something that goes like: "i feed hpw but is lgrs better and what about treats what can i feed for treats and what about toys!!!!!! what can i give them to play with do you think this is safe i dont know if it is".

Default, miscellaneous
May 17 2010
09:22:58 PM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
Yes yes yes yes yes!!!! Grammar, spelling and punctuation = Good! This isn't texting, people!
Default, miscellaneous
May 17 2010
10:38:24 PM
valkyriemome Goofy Gorillatoes Visit valkyriemome's Photo Album USA 3479 Posts
I have little tolerance for internet "slang". The only ones I can tolerate are "OMG" and "LOL" - I don't think there are other exceptions.

If you have to post a long post - and sometimes you do, that's fine - PLEASE also use some form of paragraph structure! A long block of type is just too difficult for us old people to read!

And the one that will never, ever stop but I pray it will is: No one on the forum - or any other - is a vet. Even a vet would NOT diagnose over the internet. If you are advised to go to a vet, GO!! Often it is because we've heard it before, and we know the tragic outcome in your future if you don't GO NOW! There are very few glider illnesses that can "wait until morning." Some can, and I'll usually say something to that effect.

I know it isn't forum etiquette, really - but it makes me so sad!
Information
May 17 2010
10:57:47 PM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
I like this, Kylah! Thank you!
Information
May 18 2010
07:27:15 AM
snusie Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit snusie's Photo Album snusie's Journal USA 2962 Posts
"Let's eat, Grandma!"

"Let's eat Grandma."

Punctuation ... it's a matter of life and death.
Default, miscellaneous
May 18 2010
08:44:13 AM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
Love it!!!
Default, miscellaneous
May 18 2010
01:02:40 PM
shadow Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit shadow's Photo Album MO, USA 2332 Posts
XD lol thats great snusie. i do my best when it comes to grammar and punctuation like if its what snusie posted. but its highly unlikely you will get an english essay from me. maybe kazko should make something like this pop up after someone comes to the forum for the first time or have a temporary reminder at the top of the page that the gliderpedia does exist and could answer a lot of their questions or help them figure out new questions to ask.
Default, miscellaneous
May 18 2010
04:16:01 PM
Megs06 BANNED_ACCOUNT Gliderpedia Editor Visit Megs06's Photo Album USA 1 Posts
If this were facebook I would 'like' this. lol
XD
Default, miscellaneous
May 18 2010
04:43:48 PM
SariYappa Face Hugger Visit SariYappa's Photo Album USA 413 Posts
Two= the number 2
To= I go "to" school, give this "to" susie
Too= I love you "too" or 'also'... and ... this is "too" cool!
Information
May 18 2010
05:04:14 PM
tisha Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Visit tisha's Photo Album tisha's Journal OK, USA 2081 Posts
OMG Kylah U R SO ME@N!

LOL Just kidding.

Default, miscellaneous
May 18 2010
05:40:30 PM
wutevr ur mean.
Information
May 18 2010
08:40:49 PM
tisha Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Visit tisha's Photo Album tisha's Journal OK, USA 2081 Posts
U NO U LUV ME!
Information
May 18 2010
09:00:10 PM
Mollysmom Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Visit Mollysmom's Photo Album MI, USA 2011 Posts
I cant't even bear to use text speak when I'm texting!!!
Default, miscellaneous
May 20 2010
08:22:28 PM
Sugar Mama Face Hugger Visit Sugar Mama's Photo Album Sugar Mama's Journal FL, USA 603 Posts
I have privately e-mailed people because I have copied and pasted so much stuff (side note- I always include the links) that I feel stupid for responding that way.
Default, miscellaneous
May 20 2010
08:34:47 PM
There's nothing wrong with sending people info, but if it's a publicly posted question, that's where a response should go as well...publicly. I'm also talking about, for example:

John posts, "What do I do for this rejected joey?"

Then, Jane comes and posts, "Send a message to George. He knows all about that."

That is what doesn't do anyone any good and I find it frustrating.
Default, miscellaneous
May 21 2010
12:18:24 AM
WintersSong Fuzzy Wuzzy 1417 Posts
I also think that responses of "I sent you a PM" do no good. Or questions of "if you know (or if you'd like to know), send me a PM!"

It's just that questions and answers of that sort don't really do anyone else any good.. and, well, others might have the same question. I know that there's been many times that I've viewed posts from a few months ago thinking, "I wonder that, too!", then I click to see the responses and only see "I PM'd you the answer".
Default, miscellaneous
May 21 2010
12:28:40 AM
fadedrainbows Face Hugger GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit fadedrainbows's Photo Album fadedrainbows's Journal USA 819 Posts
I have to agree with all of this especially the grammar, paragraphs and no text speak!

Also... there is a form of spell check! That red squiggly line usually means you spelled something wrong! I've notice a lot of people do not utilize that.
Default, miscellaneous
May 21 2010
08:57:47 AM
Sugar Mama Face Hugger Visit Sugar Mama's Photo Album Sugar Mama's Journal FL, USA 603 Posts
When I refer people to Art with behavior- it's because Art has really awesome solutions for issues people have.
Art doesn't sit on the forums too often and I think highly of Art.
If anyone doesn't know, he is from New Age Sugar Gliders. His advice is awesome and when I need it I usually call him- he asks a million questions and you go through process of elimination with him.

So- I disagree about everything being posted here. Sometimes it's easier and more beneficial for the person asking the question to get targeted information that others do not offer. It's also easier to have a phone convo than wait for someone to reply to an e-mail or post and your problem isn't getting fixed.

As for basic diet questions- the same questions are asked FREQUENTLY (like- What should I feed my Sugar Glider?)and there should be a universal answer for! After they research- they come back with questions... that have been asked- it gets redundant, so what could people miss if they are PM'd? I asked all those same questions, too. I'm surprised people didn't throw rocks at me ;o)
Default, miscellaneous
May 21 2010
10:19:33 AM
You can disagree. I believe I said in the very first post they were suggestions. I have no doubt that if you asked Art to respond to a thread, he would. He also isn't the only one with knowledge. Obviously, I'm not the only one that feels the way I do either. You say "sometimes it's easier and more beneficial for the person asking the question to get targeted information that others do not offer." If others aren't offering it, then how are they getting it? SOMEONE must be providing it and if that someone is part of this forum, there is NO reason they shouldn't supply that info to everyone if they feel it is correct and/or beneficial.

I COMPLETELY disagree with your statement that there should be a universal answer for diet. That isn't even possible. Everyone has differing opinions. Everyone has pros and cons for recommended diets. NO ONE can say for sure which diet is best. NO ONE.

What could people miss if they are PM'd? Like I said, it's a disservice for future people that come in and actually do a search for a topic before they finally ask a question. Why would anyone throw rocks at you for asking a question? That's what this place is for!

You can do things the way you want. There aren't any set rules and we dont' have to agree...because we don't. A forum is a place for people to get information from others. How you want to provide it is up to you.
Default, miscellaneous
May 21 2010
11:01:58 AM
When as much research and research dollars have gone into sugar gliders as have gone into dogs and cats, there may be a more "universal" diet. However, we are no where NEAR that. And - even with all that money poured into dogs' and cats' dietary needs, is there ONE brand of food on the shelves?

It is never going to happen!

Many times I will refer people to other posts, or to another forum. For example, The Sweet Spot is great for injuries and illnesses. However, that information IS available to everyone. Anyone can go to another post, or to another forum. Not everyone has access to things said and done in private. If the goal is to elevate our standards of glider care to be more "universal" then the information must be made public!
Information
May 21 2010
12:43:33 PM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
Sugar Mama, I totally disagree with you, too. This is a "teaching & learning" forum. The questions one owner asks and receives an answer for may very well be the information myself and others need, too.

quote:
When I refer people to Art with behavior- it's because Art has really awesome solutions for issues people have.
Art doesn't sit on the forums too often and I think highly of Art.
If anyone doesn't know, he is from New Age Sugar Gliders. His advice is awesome and when I need it I usually call him- he asks a million questions and you go through process of elimination with him.

So- I disagree about everything being posted here. Sometimes it's easier and more beneficial for the person asking the question to get targeted information that others do not offer. It's also easier to have a phone convo than wait for someone to reply to an e-mail or post and your problem isn't getting fixed.

quote:
As for basic diet questions- the same questions are asked FREQUENTLY (like- What should I feed my Sugar Glider?)and there should be a universal answer for! After they research- they come back with questions... that have been asked- it gets redundant, so what could people miss if they are PM'd? I asked all those same questions, too. I'm surprised people didn't throw rocks at me ;o)

If everything is done in private and/or behind the scenes, then how will anyone ever learn??? We are talking about our babies. We all want to do what is best for them. Even those of us who have been around awhile still have a lot to learn.

As far as questions being redundant, you need to remember that you were once brand spanking new to all of this, too. Does it get old sometimes answering the same questions over and over again??? Of course it does! Ive been here everyday but one since the day I joined.
So Ive answered the same questions many times over. But you know what? When I first joined here, I asked the same questions,too.

Like Kryo said, no one is forcing you or anyone else to share knowledge with anyone. But in my opinion, not sharing is doing a disservice to many gliders out there who might have better living conditions if their owners only knew.

Diet has always been a heated topic and will probably stay that way for quite a long time. The only way to resolve that issue would be to hire a professional to do a study. That would take years and quite a bit of money, which is the reason it hasnt been done as of yet. Yes, it has been discussed more than once.

I have no doubt Art is very knowledgeable and is willing to share this knowledge. If he would be willing to come here and answer questions every now and then, that would be appreciated. Or better yet, have him come and write some Gliderpedia articles. We would all appreciate it.
Information
May 21 2010
01:26:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by kyro298

I COMPLETELY disagree with your statement that there should be a universal answer for diet. That isn't even possible. Everyone has differing opinions. Everyone has pros and cons for recommended diets. NO ONE can say for sure which diet is best. NO ONE.

Let me be more specific here,
By universal answer- I meant,
"These are all [recognized]the diets out there- here are the pros and cons of each - this is what you are looking at [nutrient wise & way] - make the best decision for yourself because no one can agree"

Because everyone already puts down in the forums why the like the diet they use over and over again. It is easy to find opinions about diets, but if you give someone all the information on all the diets, then they can form their opinions and began to understand others opinions, as well.

I like Candy's set up because it compares all the diets on her site and SESG has recognized diets posted on their forums with just straight info.

I know diet is not black and white, but I think it could be presented differently to people who ask what to feed sometimes. Diet is really info overload.
Information
May 21 2010
01:57:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Rita

If everything is done in private and/or behind the scenes, then how will anyone ever learn??? We are talking about our babies. We all want to do what is best for them. Even those of us who have been around awhile still have a lot to learn.

As far as questions being redundant, you need to remember that you were once brand spanking new to all of this, too. Does it get old sometimes answering the same questions over and over again??? Of course it does! Ive been here everyday but one since the day I joined.
So Ive answered the same questions many times over. But you know what? When I first joined here, I asked the same questions,too.

I have no doubt Art is very knowledgeable and is willing to share this knowledge. If he would be willing to come here and answer questions every now and then, that would be appreciated. Or better yet, have him come and write some Gliderpedia articles. We would all appreciate it.

I'm not saying that EVERYTHING is okay to go "behind the scenes". My words are being taken out of context here. I'm saying- once in a while, phone calls work better than forums and direct help is better sometimes- NOT ALL THE TIME! I'm not saying other people ARE NOT knowledgeable or incorrect by any means. How many people here would get on the phone with someone who needs that?

And I DO remember being "brand spanking new" to all of this and how confusing it was for me and frustrated I felt trying to figure out where to start. I feel dumb now knowing just how common my questions were- but I had more help "understanding" things privately, away from the forums for specifics. Sometimes there were too many answers or opinions and I couldn't tell what I thought was best.
I weighed everyone's opinions on what they answered to me on my threads and they were helpful... but I still needed more. Sometimes the way one person explains something makes more sense than another person's way of explaining the same thing- because no one explains things the same- even if it is the same information. Does that make any sense?

Art has come on and answered in threads after I have referred people to talk to him, also he has already written up tons on gliders that people used to have access to until his website Crashed. He does more with gliders outside the forums with the community than in here. He and Paulette are just really great, and it's okay if there are people out there who are not into forums.

Forums are awesome in the sharing of information and I love it here. I love reading things on here because it makes me feel better knowing that my gliders are normal in stuff they do, that I am not the only one confused about things, that my cages and toys are okay for them, etc.

But there is nothing wrong with someone preferring to be helped away from the forums either on occasion, it isn't always "selfish" or a means to jip others out of information.
I understand why you feel that way- it does suck if we've missed out on something. However, shouldn't we all just be happy that people are willing to help each other in all different forms? Publicly, privately, in person, over the phone, over forums?

If this forum was not meant for people to get help from all avenues, there would be no journals, no Gliderpedia, no PMing, no comment leaving, no picture uploads...

I'm sorry you don't agree with my side of the coin, I do agree with you that this IS a place to share with each other- to swap information, but I also think that it is okay and acceptable for people to ask for help privately, as well.

Default, miscellaneous
May 21 2010
02:19:38 PM
filly47 Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit filly47's Photo Album USA 2330 Posts
At the same time though, I know that many have stated that they get tired with answering the same question over and over again. A lot of new people come on here asking the same thing and starting a new thread. The information is already out there on twenty or more threads with the exact same thing-such as diet, toys, cages, what does barking mean, ect. Yes it is terrific to post so that everyone can see what was said and if something new that hasn't been mentioned on this board is sent privately then we all miss out. But I think Sugar Momma is correct on just PMing someone with some quick copy and paste info or a few people to contact. This can actually free up the threads for often more important information.

I know that numerous people have stated and even posted in response to a certain thread that this information has been discussed to much and that the information is readily available. So instead of ten people answering "Don't feed pellets", if someone (or a few depending on who has the time and patience) just sends a PM with the info and even links to past threads, they are actually doing the rest of us a favor. Opinions on this?
Information
May 21 2010
02:41:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by filly47

At the same time though, I know that many have stated that they get tired with answering the same question over and over again. A lot of new people come on here asking the same thing and starting a new thread. The information is already out there on twenty or more threads with the exact same thing-such as diet, toys, cages, what does barking mean, ect. Yes it is terrific to post so that everyone can see what was said and if something new that hasn't been mentioned on this board is sent privately then we all miss out. But I think Sugar Momma is correct on just PMing someone with some quick copy and paste info or a few people to contact. This can actually free up the threads for often more important information.

I know that numerous people have stated and even posted in response to a certain thread that this information has been discussed to much and that the information is readily available. So instead of ten people answering "Don't feed pellets", if someone (or a few depending on who has the time and patience) just sends a PM with the info and even links to past threads, they are actually doing the rest of us a favor. Opinions on this?

YES- EXACTLY. This IS what I meant!
Why couldn't I get that out myself?
Default, miscellaneous
May 21 2010
03:40:20 PM
daddyglider Super Glider Visit daddyglider's Photo Album 310 Posts
The thing that is hard on a forum to answer is if I ask questions and person wanting help doesn't answer.
On the phone or in person you can ask so many questions and even change direction by the way the person is telling you what the suggie is doing and what you are doing with the glider or how the glider responded after you changed your approach. I have talked to a person in public and toward the end of the conversation the truth came out about how he acted toward the glider, he was causing the biting.
Another case was the glider got moved into another quiet room instead of being in the kids room. Once the suggie was put back around the family he quit biting. It took 1-2 hours on the phone and she kept telling they didn't do anything different, so how do you sometimes pass your EXPERIENCES to another person. Some things can be posted or guessed at on the forum, and basically is only a guess or if you went through it with your glider.
Only the owner has the suggie in front of them no body else can see how this glider reacts to a hand, to a treat, while in a pouch, while out playing.
So the owner/slave has to find their way with other people's suggestions, experiences, knowledge that they read from other people.
Art
I also have posted a few articles on GC and on SESG, so I am sharing more iof guidelines to how I approach my sugar gliders. One big difference is that I don't scare the baby glider by removing them from the parents until they know my scent or have been handled with the moms and dads.
Will be back later as I will be in Orlando this weekend. Everybody have a great weekend...
Information
May 21 2010
03:55:44 PM
Of course it is a good thing to help someone over the phone. And yes, I have done that myself many times. But after those phone conversations, I came here and posted about it so that others would be aware in case they had the same situation arise.

Glider Gossip is unique in that it gets sooooo many new people. We have a responsibility to their gliders to do the best we can for them. I know we are all in agreement with this...

Art, thank you for taking time in your own way to help new owners.
Information
May 21 2010
05:17:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sugar Mama

quote:
Originally posted by filly47

YES- EXACTLY. This IS what I meant!
Why couldn't I get that out myself?

I didn't say I didn't understand what you were saying...I just said I didn't agree.
Default, miscellaneous
May 21 2010
05:54:10 PM
joeymum Face Hugger Visit joeymum's Photo Album joeymum's Journal USA 454 Posts
I try and look up things before I even ask a question. But I did do one post where I did not capitalize my sentences because my hand was in the bonding pouch. Sorry!! I at least said why I didn't capitalize in the post though, if that counts. :(
Default, miscellaneous
May 21 2010
07:53:47 PM
Joeymum - I certainly wasn't trying to single you out! I completely agree - typing with one hand while bonding with the other is ABSOLUTELY an exception!

Where part of this conversation is going has come up on other forums. The fact is, the "Old Guard" gets tired of answering the SAME newbie questions, day after day, week after week, year after year. However, they need to be answered. Every time. It is overwhelming to come as a newbie to a forum. Have you done it recently? Try going to an animal forum of an animal you know NOTHING about. Then try to poke around and determine what is a good diet, what is good housing, and what behaviors are normal. It is next to impossible in a chat-based forum! You end up finding threads where people are responding to one another much like this thread here! WHERE is the clear answer here? If I were a newbie, I'd feel overwhelmed and lost - and like an outsider eavesdropping.

So - yes, it is painful and redundant. However, it is a necessary part of glider education for those who know to KEEP answering those same questions. 24/7/365.

However, the GOAL is, about the time the "Old Guard" is getting forum burn out, a new wave of "Newer Old Guard" will be fully educated, fully dedicated, and able to step up and start answering those questions!

We can NOT stop. We can not answer newbies with "do a search" or "this has been answered already." We MUST continue to actively educate if we are going to improve the lives of pet gliders!
Forum Etiquette
Next |
Page: of 3

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
Forum Etiquette