Forum Etiquette
Previous | Next |
Page: of 3
Forum Etiquette
Default, miscellaneous
May 21 2010
08:01:24 PM
joeymum Face Hugger Visit joeymum's Photo Album joeymum's Journal USA 454 Posts
I didn't feel singled out, just apologizing if my post in non caps had been offensive. I do agree how answering the same questions over and over is tiring. I'm a drill sgt at Ft. Jackson, so I know how annoying it is when the trainee's ask the same things every cycle. But we do our best to answer the question yet again, because they don't know any better.
Default, miscellaneous
May 21 2010
08:03:16 PM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
Agreed!
Default, miscellaneous
May 21 2010
08:08:11 PM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
Agreed with Alden, that is. I know nothing about being a drill sergeant, although my kids would probably beg to differ.
Information
May 21 2010
08:43:17 PM
Sugar Mama Face Hugger Visit Sugar Mama's Photo Album Sugar Mama's Journal FL, USA 603 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by valkyriemome

Joeymum - I certainly wasn't trying to single you out! I completely agree - typing with one hand while bonding with the other is ABSOLUTELY an exception!

Where part of this conversation is going has come up on other forums. The fact is, the "Old Guard" gets tired of answering the SAME newbie questions, day after day, week after week, year after year. However, they need to be answered. Every time. It is overwhelming to come as a newbie to a forum. Have you done it recently? Try going to an animal forum of an animal you know NOTHING about. Then try to poke around and determine what is a good diet, what is good housing, and what behaviors are normal. It is next to impossible in a chat-based forum! You end up finding threads where people are responding to one another much like this thread here! WHERE is the clear answer here? If I were a newbie, I'd feel overwhelmed and lost - and like an outsider eavesdropping.

So - yes, it is painful and redundant. However, it is a necessary part of glider education for those who know to KEEP answering those same questions. 24/7/365.

However, the GOAL is, about the time the "Old Guard" is getting forum burn out, a new wave of "Newer Old Guard" will be fully educated, fully dedicated, and able to step up and start answering those questions!

We can NOT stop. We can not answer newbies with "do a search" or "this has been answered already." We MUST continue to actively educate if we are going to improve the lives of pet gliders!

I agree as well.
Default, miscellaneous
May 30 2010
06:52:27 PM
WintersSong Fuzzy Wuzzy 1417 Posts
Adding:

There is no reason to reply to every post. I know that I am guilty of this, but truthfully? There is no reason to reply with "I don't know," to every post that comes about. If you do not know, move along without commenting. If you know of someone that might know, do not comment with "___ knows!", instead send a PM to ____ directing them to the post.
Information
May 31 2010
04:07:53 PM

Information
Jun 01 2010
12:16:04 PM
Goldwinger Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit Goldwinger's Photo Album Goldwinger's Journal VA, USA 1369 Posts
quote:
WintersSong Posted - May 30 2010 : 07:52:27 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Adding:

There is no reason to reply to every post. I know that I am guilty of this, but truthfully? There is no reason to reply with "I don't know," to every post that comes about. If you do not know, move along without commenting. If you know of someone that might know, do not comment with "___ knows!", instead send a PM to ____ directing them to the post.

I agree completely. I don't always respond to every post either. It does no good for 15 people to say the exact same thing or to just agree to something someone else said. If I have something different to add I will. If not, I just read and move on.

I agree also with direting someone to a post and asking them to please reply on the post itself if possible. As stated before this is a learning forum and it benefits everyone to read responses that are posted by anyone if they are good reliable answers. We ALL are learning everyday.
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 13 2010
11:55:01 PM
valkyriemome Goofy Gorillatoes Visit valkyriemome's Photo Album USA 3479 Posts
BUMP
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 14 2010
01:35:47 AM
Megs06 BANNED_ACCOUNT Gliderpedia Editor Visit Megs06's Photo Album USA 1 Posts
Again... If this were facebook.. I'd 'like' this.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 02 2011
07:57:46 PM
Bumping this with a quick reminder...if you aren't sure of an answer, please don't post. It's more beneficial to wait for correct answers, learn from them and then post the correct answer NEXT time. There are SOOOOO many new people here in the last month or so. This is the biggest influx of new members/posters I've seen at once in a long time. I've also been seeing some questionable responses out there. I know people are eager to help, but if you're giving inaccurate info, you are not helping.
Information
Jan 02 2011
08:20:06 PM
Omis n Kais g-ma Pouch Protector Visit Omis n Kais g-ma's Photo Album TX, USA 7524 Posts
Kyla, I have received several pms from people asking me questions about this or that that I was not sure about and figured it was a better idea to refer them to yourself or Rita as you two seem to be the most knowledgable. Sorry if that was wrong of me.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 02 2011
08:28:31 PM
No, don't ever think you can't refer people to others for information. I get pm's all the time. I just simply answer their questions but also provide them past posts and urge them to post questions on the forum too. I was posting about people that would ask a question on a thread and then get a response to go ask someone privately. If someone is privately emailing you to begin with, it's definitely your call on how you're comfortable relaying info. Hope that makes sense.
Information
Jan 02 2011
08:49:57 PM
Omis n Kais g-ma Pouch Protector Visit Omis n Kais g-ma's Photo Album TX, USA 7524 Posts
It does. I just thought the post was more geared towards me because I have referred several people to you and Rita because I didn't feel comfortable with my own knowledge. And I'd hate for a glider to end up sick or dead because of my misinformation.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 02 2011
08:52:22 PM
No, I think I maybe started this thread before you joined? Definitely not aimed at you. LOL
Default, miscellaneous
Nov 02 2011
06:13:44 PM
Would like to add to PLEASE try to observe the forum sections. "Sugar Gliders" is for....Sugar Gliders! Anything not about them goes here under "General Chat". It isn't that hard to post under the correct section if you take an extra second to look where you're posting. It also only takes a minute to scan the last 24 hours and see if there was already a post made about what you're about to post about.

I'd also like to make a friendly suggestion to not argue or defend yourself against what people are suggesting here. Use the "venting" threads for that please. There are some that CANNOT keep threads on topic to save their lives. Please try. :)

Oh, also just want to point out I started this thread A YEAR AND A HALF AGO so if you want to take any of it personally, don't. You probably weren't even here. LOL Just proves the same old crap never goes away.

Edited by - kyro298 on Nov 02 2011 06:15:22 PM
Information
Nov 02 2011
08:54:17 PM
LuuLuu Face Hugger GliderMap Visit LuuLuu's Photo Album USA 970 Posts
I AM the grammar police... I WILL arrest you!
Information
Nov 03 2011
09:01:18 AM
I'm known as the grammar nazi in my home. I may not catch them all but it won't be for the lack of trying. I read through this postfrom thebegining and noticed so many members aren't here anymore.quote]Originally posted by mammab

I AM the grammar police... I WILL arrest you!
[/quote]
Default, miscellaneous
Nov 03 2011
11:31:52 AM
Mollysmom Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Visit Mollysmom's Photo Album MI, USA 2011 Posts
Totally off topic warning!!! I remember when this post started. I was just reading through it again. As someone said on a different longstanding post yesterday, it's amazing how many of the previous posters don't seem to be around here now. Boy, seeing Snusie's post really makes me miss her! :'( She was such a sweet, funny, and intelligent lady.
Information
Nov 03 2011
11:40:14 AM

She really was.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 06 2012
09:55:44 AM
Feeling like this needs another bump!
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 06 2012
10:22:25 AM
thefotokat Glider 177 Posts
I remember reading this when it was first posted, but seeing it again makes me want to add one thing about answering privately. I agree with information needing to be in public posts for others to learn by, but when there is a health situation that needs more immediate answers a private conversation is often best. Here's why: many details are not included in the original post because the owner doesn't realize they are important. It's only when we ask specific questions that they provide those answers. In a post that's receiving a lot of answers (especially when many of those answers are "go to the vet" or "call ____"), it's very easy for questions to be overlooked which delays getting necessary help to a glider. Also, many of the answers meant to help contain incorrect advice simply because not all the information was relayed. Like Val and Ed, I do make myself available to help owners. As working rescues and sanctuaries, it's difficult to monitor a forum waiting for an answer in a thread. I've had owners think I forgot them because I didn't see their posted response immediately. With pm's and emails, I get a notification on my phone and can respond sooner. Just wanted to explain why I will often reply in a pm or email for health situations or when there will be an exchange of personal information (such as addresses). It's not to deny the information to others, it's to better help in that immediate situation.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 06 2012
10:35:19 AM
I couldn't agree with that situation more. At the time that was posted, there was someone specifically going around on threads posting "this person knows about such and such. PM them instead". None of it was urgent or health related. They aren't even here anymore (shocking, I know).
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 06 2012
10:43:29 AM
sjones5254 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit sjones5254's Photo Album SC, USA 2415 Posts
Can I add new people please don't take medical advise from just anyone on here. Val, Kate, Ed, Kyro, Ko, Terry and a few other are the only people I would ever take medical advice on my gliders from. Sometimes people come on here thinking they are experts and that can get someone's glider killed.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 06 2012
10:47:28 AM
*disclaimer* I am NOT a medical expert. LOL However, I can refer you to people that can help!
Information
Apr 06 2012
10:49:27 AM
quote:
Originally posted by kyro298

*disclaimer* I am NOT a medical expert. LOL However, I can refer you to people that can help!

No but if you didn't know the answer you would help find out from a trusting source
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 06 2012
10:51:12 AM
I would indeed.
Information
Apr 06 2012
10:59:34 AM
JazzNZoeysmom Zippy Glidershorts GliderMap Visit JazzNZoeysmom's Photo Album USA 5354 Posts
I doubt many will read this all the way down here but let me add:

Terry: Kazko

Kylah: Kyro

Val: Something To Believe In

Kate: thefotokat

Ed: Lucky Glider Rescue Sanctuary

Ko: Ko (I apologize, I'm not sure if this is a given name as well as a screen name but I've never seen another name used when referring to Ko)
Information
Apr 06 2012
11:02:56 AM
I saw that coming Kylah as soon as I read Sabrinas post.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 06 2012
11:06:39 AM
LOL
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 06 2012
11:10:11 AM
HAHA sometimes I forget new people don't know names :( Sorry Guys
Forum Etiquette
Previous | Next |
Page: of 3

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
Forum Etiquette