Sugar Gliders
A medical discussion for new owners regarding male gliders
Previous | Next |
Page: of 7
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 04 2007
01:48:24 PM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
So far on all of my neuters, I have seen the pom NOT drop but instead retract in, all tight. A non-neutered sugar always has a hanging loose pom and his stuff out...

So far I like leaving the pom. I have received rescues in the past where the folks swore they were all girls... They werent; they were neutered. Took me awhile to figure it out because I wasnt looking for it... Empty poms are great!

Now the real problem is tracking who has been neutered... I suppose we can squeeze their pom to see if anyone is home. I wonder if the vets should insert an rfid tag into neutered with pom animals.

Default, miscellaneous
Oct 05 2007
11:59:11 AM
HeatherB Glider GliderMap Visit HeatherB's Photo Album HeatherB's Journal USA 129 Posts
I'm pretty sure I saw some where that the bald spot will grow in if they've been neutered. (?)
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 23 2007
11:17:31 AM
Djangel Starting Member 3 Posts
What can I do about the odor from my sugar glider?I clean the cage daily and the is still and odor.Should I have him neutered or is there another option?
Default, miscellaneous
Nov 01 2007
10:04:03 PM
girlygirl101 Starting Member GliderMap IA, USA 3 Posts
wow! thats weird! but that is the first time i have ever heard of that! good thing i am getting a female! ( Cuddles )
Health related
Nov 08 2007
01:37:20 AM
thegliderlady Glider GliderMap Visit thegliderlady's Photo Album USA 50 Posts
Im glad this post is here.I have heard of people thinking it was a string or ribbon that he had injested and was having trouble "pooping" it out. Since they use the same area to urinate, deficate and for reproduction, there can be infections that can cause this area to swell drasticaly, and the genitalia can also become swollen and block the cloaca so he could not deficate. If this happens he needs medical attention.
PLEASE before you get your glider know where to take your suggie if there is an emergency.
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 14 2008
06:03:24 PM
imyosuggie Super Glider Visit imyosuggie's Photo Album USA 349 Posts
dont there testicles also hang low now and then? I saw Tikos testicles hanging low lastnight and then they went back up to close to his body like they normally are. How that happens anyone know?
Health related
Feb 20 2008
07:28:50 AM
snowboard Starting Member USA 8 Posts
sometimes you just dont realize that this is happened ... you dont have to worrie
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 07 2008
10:47:14 PM
tina Starting Member GliderMap Visit tina's Photo Album TN, USA 9 Posts
I've never seen zooms
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 11 2008
04:38:18 PM
littlemans mama Joey 20 Posts
Very very interesting I have aboy and I have yet to see that but thanks for info it's good to know.
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 15 2008
12:35:34 PM
SuggieBoi Super Glider GliderMap Visit SuggieBoi's Photo Album TX, USA 271 Posts
Ive seen my males alot, he cleans it and I think he has been masturbating (oh god i cant believe i typed that in a forum) I hear these lil squeeks but my female is pregnant, you think he is doing this because she wont "put out" so to speak?
Default, miscellaneous
Apr 22 2008
05:23:41 PM
nikki03 Starting Member 1 Posts
I have a 4 month old boy that has his genitalia out and it looks swollen. I have applied KY, however, he wont stop licking it. It now looks bruised. I can't get to a vet untill tomorrow, and he is able to urinate and defocate. I attempted to make an e-collar, any suggestions?? Will it eventually go back in?

Default, miscellaneous
Apr 22 2008
05:50:22 PM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
Do you think he can't retract it or is he literally playing with it? The day of and after mine got neutered (4 months also), it was out and I got worried. I used vaseline but he did finally "put it away". I don't honestly know if I would recognize whether or not it's swollen.
Default, miscellaneous
May 27 2008
04:49:02 PM
Jaclyn13 Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Jaclyn13's Photo Album Jaclyn13's Journal AZ, USA 1359 Posts
haha nice
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 08 2008
01:56:07 PM
SideEffect1987 Joey 23 Posts
I saw Roscoe's johnson for the first time last night and it freaked me out. He was licking it and grasping it with his hands. Do sugar glider's ever try to pleasure themselves?
Default, miscellaneous
Jun 11 2008
09:54:59 PM
SuggieBoi Super Glider GliderMap Visit SuggieBoi's Photo Album TX, USA 271 Posts
yes they do side effect my male did it before he got a g/f and he still does it now i found this out cuz of this thread
Default, miscellaneous
Aug 19 2008
12:04:35 AM
myzoo52000 Super Glider GliderMap Visit myzoo52000's Photo Album VA, USA 258 Posts
I just wanted you guys to know that I got to laughing so darn hard at this and some of the posts people put on here that I woke my snoring hubby, and was actually in tears laughing hystercally. However, I did do my share of research before ever even getting the first glider. It is sites like this that mad it to where myself and others know what is going on before hand. I came in from work one night and my hubby was totally giving me the third degree, cause he knows I do all the research on here. I had to actually sit in the floor laughin at him that night. He said, what is that? I just looked at him as if he were dumb as all. He then said, it that? I said yes dear. He said, is that his? I assertively said yes dear. My teenage daughter was in the same room, and I really didn't want to go there. I started to go into detail as to what I read on here and he was just blown away. So anyway, I just wanted to say I am very greatful still, cause even if I already know bout the situation it is nice to know I was not the only goober out there. And this one, just so you know, was not only informational, but very very hilarious. Thanks, for all info posted in past and future.
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 03 2008
05:39:50 PM
best_friendz2 Face Hugger Visit best_friendz2's Photo Album 841 Posts
Im very informed and for anybody who has cut "it" off make sure you give him the "with or without it your still a man" talk.
Question
Oct 03 2008
07:05:25 PM
Gizmo-n-Roos Mommy Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Visit Gizmo-n-Roos Mommy's Photo Album OH, USA 1624 Posts
I have a question about this....

First, let me say I would NEVER cut anything off of my babies if I didn't know what it was....to me, that's just common sense.

However, as some of you know, I bought them from a flea market because I didn't know any better then. They were vet checked when I got them and were given a clean bill of health. I took Gizmo back to the flea market to be netuered because it was cheaper there. She took him into a back room to do it and I was not permitted to go which I was OK with because I could barely get through my girls' shots as they were growing up.

Anyway, with that being said, I sometimes wonder if she may have cut it off. I have never seen it (another thing I'm OK with....LOL) so it makes me wonder. How can I tell? If she did, will there be any negative affects? Anything I need to do?
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 03 2008
07:32:53 PM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
I don't think there's anything you'd be able to do at this point, but I doubt that she cut off his genitalia..I don't even know how they'd get to it if it wasn't out. I'm sure he was just neutered. They'd have no reason to do that, as horrible as it is neutering them in some back room. I can't stand those people. ANYWAY, my glider Puff Daddy, that passed last Christmas, I never once saw his. That's not too unusual. I wouldn't worry.
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 03 2008
07:34:48 PM
quote:
Originally posted by best_friendz2

Im very informed and for anybody who has cut "it" off make sure you give him the "with or without it your still a man" talk.

Unfortunately, people are referring to the actual genitalia, not the testicles. Because it doesn't look like what you'd think the male anatomy would look like, people don't know what it is and yes, it has happened. Makes me shudder thinking about it.
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 03 2008
11:14:15 PM
Jaclyn13 Fuzzy Wuzzy GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Jaclyn13's Photo Album Jaclyn13's Journal AZ, USA 1359 Posts
AHHH! someone took him to a back room! :( poor little guy
Default, miscellaneous
Oct 03 2008
11:51:25 PM
best_friendz2 Face Hugger Visit best_friendz2's Photo Album 841 Posts
OHHHH Ok now I get it.
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 19 2008
03:56:12 AM
ButtercupSaiyan Glider 154 Posts
Man ... it's not hard to see that region, because they'll happily hang off the sides, but I can't really tell. Is it a boy if it has a little white pom-pom on its pubis and no visible pouch slit?
Default, miscellaneous
Dec 19 2008
09:02:06 AM
Yes, if you see that, it's a boy-girls have no pom-pom at all.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 03 2009
06:45:51 PM
stepakapets101 Super Glider GliderMap Visit stepakapets101's Photo Album stepakapets101's Journal Canada 366 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Lynne Coleman

You just made my morning! I got my new baby yesterday (OK-he's not a baby really-5 months oop) and I've been up since about 4 watching him jump around. When he was cuddled up in the crook of my arm last night (obviously he's a BIG "Law and Order" fan like me...lol) he started grooming. JEEZ!! I had to laugh when he started his "personal hygeine"!! I called my husband who looked kinda jealous! Anyway, I figured out what it was, and no, I won't cut it off! Now I have to clean the coffee off the computer screen! Thanks!

lol, yea when I first had my glider her did the same thing lol.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 06 2009
12:20:37 PM
MrsAych Super Glider Visit MrsAych's Photo Album USA 222 Posts

I think I will just sloooooowly walk away from the computer now....

Health related
Jan 10 2009
12:00:09 AM
BabyGirl Face Hugger Visit BabyGirl's Photo Album BabyGirl's Journal USA 576 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Eric Coleman

Its just a public service announcement.

My friend had a male glider that did that first thing in the morning. We were afraid something was wrong with it, because this would last for awhile! Is that normal?
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 10 2009
06:42:27 PM
Rita Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit Rita's Photo Album Rita's Journal MO, USA 12214 Posts
Yes, its normal.
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 19 2009
05:17:43 PM
Holley Super Glider Visit Holley's Photo Album 381 Posts
Ya know... I think this is well needed... How traumatic for the little guy, when you take tweezers (Cause I dont wanna touch it) - and try to get that darn worm that is on him! LMAO!
Thanks Eric!
Default, miscellaneous
Mar 24 2009
07:37:30 AM
glidercurious1982 Starting Member WV, USA 3 Posts
Don't mind me... just lurking and reading. I'm a prospective owner, so if you see me here and there asking odd or off the wall questions, I don't know much and can't find many books, but I really want to know what I would get myself into if I would happen to actually buy a pair. I intend to get a male/female pair... and thanks for the info on the male... I'll definitely keep that in mind.
Previous | Next |
Page: of 7

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders