Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Polls, Votes & Questionnaires
POLL: Where did you get your sugar gliders?
Next |
Page: of 2
Research Information
Nov 14 2010
09:16:10 PM
Where did you get your sugar gliders. Please include State, City, Location or Event such as store, fair, flea market, small breeder, rehome...

I'll start:

After doing some research, in early 1997 I got my first pair from some home breeder folks way up North of Denton Texas. All of my acquisitions are detailed in my journal. All 19 of the animals I have now were free rehomes from various people around Texas. By not spending anything on the animals themselves I have been able to afford large cages, health care, neuters and other good stuff. If I just counted right, I have 14 large exercise wheels all active in cages.

Default, miscellaneous
Nov 14 2010
09:36:31 PM
our2girlz Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit our2girlz's Photo Album United States 2362 Posts
I got my first two from a pet store that at the time I had no idea that they didnt know anything about sugar gliders. My next two were a resue that didn't have any time for them. All came from Des Moines, Iowa.
Research Information
Nov 15 2010
04:24:55 PM
Belinda Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Belinda's Photo Album FL, USA 944 Posts
All of mine came from Jacksonville FL. I started out pet sitting for the first 2. After 3 months I had fell in love with them and the owner really couldn't take care of them so I kept them. They had a baby boy.

I got the 4th one from the same person that later wanted to try her hand at it again. More problems came up and I took that one in also.

The last 3 I almost bought. I saw them in the classified section and talked to the lady and she was having personal difficulties. She went back and forth about wanting to sell them because she loved them so much.

In the meantime the 4th glider didn't want to have anything to do with the other 3 so i have 4 gliders in 2 cages (I bought a bigger cage for the lone brat). The lady finally decided that she had to let her 3 go. I told her if I could get the lone one in with the other ones I would buy them from her. Well she came over and brought her gliders and loved how I had the room set up for my gliders and her gliders seemed to like me because they were all over me.

I told her I would take them but I wouldn't buy them.

They are still in 3 cages but a funny thing happened. 2 of her gliders decided they liked my first 3 and they moved in with them so now I have 1 each in 2 cages and 5 in the other one. They have free roam of the room but they all end up in their own cages in the morning.

Edited by - Belinda on Nov 15 2010 04:28:53 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Nov 15 2010
04:30:40 PM
kyro298 Glider Sprinkles GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kyro298's Photo Album kyro298's Journal CO, USA 15262 Posts
I got my first two girls here in Colorado Springs at a home show from Steve Larkin. At the time, he was Custom Cage Works.

Daddy and Zoom were a rehome that came from a GG member in Denver that was severely allergic to them. I do not know where she originally got them.

Shiloh and Maddox were both born here.
Research Information
Nov 15 2010
06:40:41 PM
Omis n Kais g-ma Pouch Protector Visit Omis n Kais g-ma's Photo Album TX, USA 7524 Posts
We got ours from a breeder here in San Antonio.
Research Information
Nov 15 2010
07:09:24 PM
Essika Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Essika's Photo Album Essika's Journal ON, CA 581 Posts
Tazz came from a friend in Belleville Ontario, Aussie came from Kijiji also in Belleville, Nova was a rehome from Toronto, Ontario and Icarus was from a Rabbit Rescue in Milton Ontario I believe.
Research Information
Nov 15 2010
10:30:48 PM
Span Glider Visit Span's Photo Album 192 Posts
Icarus and ariadne are both from breeder Michelle in Parsons, Ks.
Default, miscellaneous
Nov 15 2010
11:37:38 PM
PW Face Hugger Visit PW's Photo Album 559 Posts
Snickerz came from a family I met in a friends pet shop in Kingston, NY who's pair had a joey. I traded a complete 55 gal tank set-up for her. Twix came from a pet store in Wappingers Falls, NY where he was housed in a tiny parrakeet cage with pine shavings and a wash cloth eating parrot seed. I was told he came from a local breeder. Skittlez, Hershey, and Reese came from a wonderful family in Orlando, Fl. I was on vacation and saw an ad somewhere and bought them for 150.00 for all three.
Research Information
Nov 23 2010
02:25:42 PM
loguey48 Starting Member 0 Posts
We got our first pair of young females from a breeder in NH. She was a very professional breeder and had the gliders well prepared for coming into our home. Then we fell in love with a white faced male that was for sale on Craig's list. We recently had him neutered so that we will be able to put him with the females in a few weeks. We had to put a lot of work into the male since he had not cared for very well previously. After about 6 months ...he is a great pet!
Research Information
Nov 23 2010
05:10:00 PM
fadedrainbows Face Hugger GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit fadedrainbows's Photo Album fadedrainbows's Journal USA 819 Posts
I got my first 4 gliders in October of 2009 from Craigslist from a family in Langlois, Oregon. My home was the gliders 4th home. It was a spontaneous adoption since I wasn't planning on getting any, but when I saw the conditions they were in I just had to get them. I paid $150 for all 4 gliders and their tiny cage. Poor things were being fed a mixture of cat food and bird food, kept in a home where the kids pulled the gliders out by their tails. I was surprised none of the tails were broken. *I rehomed the mom and dad since I could not afford to get the dad neutered. I rehomed to a new to suggie family, but they researched well and I was confident in their ability to understand and care for the gliders [the new owners actually became members on GC].

I got the next 2 gliders from here actually. Someone had found 2 male gliders in a cage next to a garbage can in California. They took them home, found out gliders are illegal in Ca and came here for help. I was the closest legal rehome and took them in for free [aside from gas costs, ouch!]

My last glider I got from Craigslist from someone in Eugene, Oregon. This person was telling a confusing story. Something about the friend gave them the gliders to rehome or something. Apparently the person worked for a pet store too, so I honestly didn't believe anything the person said. There were 3 gliders, but from what I understood they were separate, so I only adopted one [I had to bribe my husband just for the one, he would NOT budge on more! ]. I got Nisha for $35.
Default, miscellaneous
Nov 24 2010
01:23:33 AM
bwetherell Glider Visit bwetherell's Photo Album MA, USA 164 Posts
I got Bailey in CT, he was about a year old and a rehome. I don't remember the city just that it was over an hour or so away from me. He's a mosaic and was only $50.

I got Lily in Syracuese New York. Met up with a breeder there. She was only about 12 weeks and cost $150. I had so many other options for free rehomes etc, but no one came through so Lily was my last resort after months of dissappointment but I am thankful I have her now, and so is Bailey! :)
Default, miscellaneous
Nov 28 2010
05:48:04 PM
peaceloveandgliders Joey USA 43 Posts
I got Lorelei off of Craigslist as a re-home in Milwaukee, WI. She cost me $175 for her cage and supplies. I purchased Kaden from a pet store in Wauwautosa, WI. I paid a hefty $270 for him. They had his brother and I wish I could go back and get him. They were being kept in a glass tank with nothing but a branch, and nesting box. I swear if he is still there when I have the extra money, I'll be going to save him as well.
Default, miscellaneous
Nov 28 2010
07:52:17 PM
viciousencounters Goofy Gorillatoes GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit viciousencounters's Photo Album viciousencounters's Journal NM, USA 2907 Posts
Luna: I didn't even know what a glider was until my anniversary, when my bf had given me her from a local pet store in Albuquerque, NM who I later found out doesn't know who Luna's parents are.

Kira: A couple with a lot of animals had allowed her parents to mate and the couple posted an ad in the Albuquerque classifieds.

Tramp and Gypsy: Came from Dancing of GliderCentral who resides in the eastern part of Kansas. They are the only gliders I own with lineages.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 05 2011
09:51:03 AM
KatFarrell Face Hugger GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit KatFarrell's Photo Album KatFarrell's Journal USA 558 Posts
I adopted Fritz from PPP (yes, yes, I know: mill breeder...but didn't then) in the summer of 2010, I bumped into them at the local town mall. Looking to rehome a family of four if the owner doesn't get responsible real fast. All in MD, USA.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 05 2011
12:17:34 PM
valkyriemome Goofy Gorillatoes Visit valkyriemome's Photo Album USA 3479 Posts
Rocket J - got from a mill breeder before I knew.

All my others I either got from good breeders, came to me as rescues, or were born here!
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 07 2011
11:44:35 AM
Angela Super Glider GliderMap Visit Angela's Photo Album USA 331 Posts
I got Gizmo and Daisy from a lady with bad health problems and couldn't care for them. We live in Illinois and got them in Illinois.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 07 2011
03:13:56 PM
Skeeter Face Hugger Visit Skeeter's Photo Album Florida 425 Posts
Skeeter was given to me from my son who bought him at a mall in Orange Park Fla-Pocketpets.Harmony came from a local breeder in jacksonville. Skeeter was mean as the devil when we got him but now I know he was just scared. Harmony came from a very loving breeder who allowed me to come over and bond with her as she was growing.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 07 2011
05:54:07 PM
giraffelady Glider Visit giraffelady's Photo Album LA, USA 175 Posts
We got Parker from a licensed breeder in Marrero Louisiana. We are currently on the waiting list for another one. Didn't know we should have gotten two! They are REALLY hard to find in Louisiana!
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 08 2011
09:01:13 AM
cindyle46151 Glider Visit cindyle46151's Photo Album IN, USA 109 Posts
I got my first one Peyton from Sugar Gliders R Us in Indiana and then I got 2 twin girls from a private individual from Illinois. Then 2 males and 2 females from a individual in Lafayette Indiana. Then 2 males from someone in Greenwood. And I have 3 joeys.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 08 2011
10:21:39 AM
bholland7 Face Hugger Visit bholland7's Photo Album bholland7's Journal USA 650 Posts
I got my first four from a home breeder, my next one came from a rescue, my next one from my son-in-law, my next 5 from a rescue.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 09 2011
06:12:26 PM
Sister Sue Super Glider GliderMap Visit Sister Sue's Photo Album FL, USA 201 Posts
I got mine from, you guessed it Steve Larkin (give the man two thumbs down)
AZ state fair mid October 2010
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 13 2011
04:38:46 PM
DizzyPo Fuzzy Wuzzy Gliderpedia Editor USA 1241 Posts
I got my first glider at traders village in grand prairie, tx from the sugar shack aka sandman. I'd never heard of a sugar glider before and decided to believe what he was telling me. about a week into me having her she was over-grooming and I hopped on Craigslist and began searching for a glider or two. a few weeks later I found a great deal and picked up a pair of girls from some random person in south fort worth, tx.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 16 2011
11:33:53 AM
Farns Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Farns's Photo Album USA 842 Posts
We got our original two gliders from Sugar Glider Alley in the Great Smokies Flea Market in Sieverville, TN in May 2008. My parents were back there in late 2009 and they were still there selling gliders. It is a husband and wife team that claims to have bought out another breeder and had a large amount of breeding pairs. They were USDA and sold supplies but sold pellets too. We were the first customers to buy two gliders at once but the people before us had bought one and had come back for another. They did give us a list of websites including this one, glider central, Suncoast and couple of others. Had 7 joeys and then neuters and lost one of the babies after he was over a year old to a dropped bladder.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 17 2011
04:51:28 PM
budah0328 Starting Member GliderMap 0 Posts
i got my 2 sugar gliders from suncoast florida. the breeder was called suncoast sugar glider. i fromk michigan
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 21 2011
02:12:07 PM
KuroNeko Fuzzy Wuzzy Gliderpedia Editor Visit KuroNeko's Photo Album USA 1617 Posts
Re-homes.
Research Information
Jan 29 2011
04:42:24 PM
valston Super Glider GliderMap Visit valston's Photo Album NY, USA 319 Posts
my two girl i'm going to say i rescued them in new york (when i asked the previous owner what she fed them, she told me- oh, they eat anything, give them some veggies and fruits, whatever you have, and they love chex mix
i couldn't leave them, i had to get them the hell outta there

and i'm getting two more girls next week- someone looking to rehome them because her and her husband don't feel their giving them enough attention. they're in new york also. i'm so excited!
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 01 2011
12:15:12 PM
rebeccam2015 Glider Visit rebeccam2015's Photo Album 167 Posts
i got gizmo off of cragslist in richmond missiouri,i live in Kansas city so it wasnt a problem
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 01 2011
12:19:47 PM
KatFarrell Face Hugger GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit KatFarrell's Photo Album KatFarrell's Journal USA 558 Posts
After I did my research, I realized that a playmate for Fritz would be wise. So, I started searching & found my next two in Fairfax, VA. Their owner was forced to take a 2nd job due to the economy & was no longer able to take care of them. Now I just can't wait to meeat them! :D
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 01 2011
01:42:32 PM
GB8502 Glider Visit GB8502's Photo Album US 150 Posts
Got my first female from a home breeder in South Plainfield New Jersey. She was hand raised my them until she was 8 weeks OOP and she was with her parents until the day i took her. I got my male from a women who has 20+ gliders and she was looking to downsize her colony that was in Central New Jersey. He wasnt hand raised and he wasnt socialized at all. He is doing much better now
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 14 2011
11:06:35 AM
JcH2290 Glider Visit JcH2290's Photo Album USA 181 Posts
I got my first two, Axel and Diesel from a small breeder I found on Craigslist and when Diesel unexpectly passed, I got Dash from Lisa (Suncoast Sugar Gliders) who helped me very much with the situation at hand. Then I stumbled upon Theodore on Craigslist. He was a rescue from a home that inherited him from a neighbor that passed. All were found in the Tampa Bay area (FL)
All three are S-P-O-I-L-E-D rotten!
Default, miscellaneous
Feb 14 2011
11:36:12 AM
funfair Super Glider Visit funfair's Photo Album KS, USA 345 Posts
Got mine on Lawrence ks. Craigslist.. got
Next |
Page: of 2

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Polls, Votes & Questionnaires